Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: White blood cells ?  (Read 1894 times)

sed

White blood cells ?
« on: August 04, 2020, 11:03:09 AM »

Hi, just a quick question to the experts or anyone indeed who has had recent blood tests.

My blood tests have come back and one of the results for white blood cells count - the result was “Abnormal But Satisfactory”.  I can only guess it’s below the range but nothing to shout about from their point of view.  Just wondered if this was a thing re: meno as anxiety is top of my list of symptoms?

Hurdity

Re: White blood cells ?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 07:37:19 AM »

Hi sed - you should be able to see all the results either online if you have that facility, or get a print-out from your practice. Then you can see the ref range of all the blood tests and what yours was. If there was anything of concern the docs would have called you back. Over the past few years for example I have had low platelets (below the normal range) which now and again go back in range but they never say anything needs to be done. I've also got high cholesterol and ditto - nothing needs to be done. If all your other results are OK and you are generally well then do try not to worry. However if you continue to have any persistent worrying symptoms then do go back to your doc.

Hurdity x

Mirrormirror

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 06:38:44 AM »

I had bloods done recently & everything came back fine except white cells were low. 

Doctor wasnt overly concerned said if I continued to have night sweats,after starting treatment (visit was about my peri symptoms) she would re test in a month. 

I hadnt been unwell recently so maybe it could be related to peri menopausal symptoms.

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 10:15:22 AM »

Hello ladies.

My white blood cell count has been below  range for about three years. The lab always notes that no action is needed and my GP agrees.

However it would be helpful to know  at what level it becomes a problem and if there is anything we can do about it?

Take care ladies.

K.

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 01:30:35 PM »

Hello again ladies.

I've just done a bit of research and looked at my blood test records going back to 2014.

Obviously the data is personal to me but it may also be of interest to others who have a low white blood count.

The lab test  gives a normal range of 1.1 - 4.5  and notes the actual measurement against 10''9\L. For example my last blood test read as 0.82. 10''9/L. Clearly I'm no scientist but I hope you get the idea.

Between 2014 and 2016 my numbers averaged 1.26 so within the normal range. From 2017 to date they are below 1.00 and therefore below range. On each occasion the lab has highlighted the below range figure but has stated no further action was necessary and I did not need to contact my GP.

I have just learned that low counts are common in older adults and I will soon be 64 so I guess that's me! Perhaps my age is the reason for the decline in numbers since  2016.

I don't feel unwell and apparently the best way to keep your immune system happy is a good diet and healthy lifestyle.

Hope this is of int and helpful to others.

Take care ladies

K.