Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Vagifem  (Read 1201 times)

Jutee

Vagifem
« on: August 06, 2020, 06:52:29 PM »

Hi my GP has prescribed  Vagifem for Urethral symptoms and dryness.
I am disappointed as it has been 8 weeks and no real difference.
Just wondering if Vagifem may  take longer to work  with some people.
It really gets you down all the irritating bladder symptoms.
☹️

Hurdity

Re: Vagifem
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 07:00:56 AM »

Hi Jutee

:welcomemm:

It all depends how bad the symptoms have got as to how long it takes and also what dose is needed as a maintenance dose.  The standard prescription is to use daily for the first 2 weeks and then twice a week thereafter but yes, some women need to take the daily dose for longer than two weeks initially, and also some need a higher maintenance dose to keep things comfortable eg 3 times per week or even more. Also if you are not taking any other HRT it may well be that more is needed. Perhaps tell us a bit more about where you are in menopause re periods etc and how old you are? If after trying increased dose ( and do talk to your doc about this) things don;t improve then there are other preparations to try. Also check out the long-running thread ( that hasn;t been posted on much recently but should still have some useful tips) in the Private Lives section of the forum called "Burning Club". Hopefully it's near the top on the first page but I'll bump for you if not.

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 07:11:05 AM »

:welcomemm:

Do read our 'bladder' and 'vaginal atrophy' threads too.  4 me it was like razor blades  :o up there!  I use 'ovestin' which is delivered by applicator.  Some ladies need 'sylc' and/or 'yes' products to help.  I find that taking 3 'nurofen' 3 times a day helps with symptoms too.

Jutee

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 08:09:47 AM »

Many thanks just for your information I am 52 and had not had s period for 1 year.
It would be great to hear from someone who used vagifem but that it took a lo get time to work . Would like s bit of hope as a bit miserable at moment.☹️

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 09:44:08 AM »

If you read 'vaginal atrophy' thread you will see some that found it took a while B4 symptoms eased.  Some ladies have to use it every night with estriol to apply on the outer labia. 

Tinkerbell

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 12:18:13 PM »

How often are you using it?

Jutee

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 02:07:59 PM »

Twice a week after initial  2 week dose.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 03:46:02 PM »

I have never managed on Vagifem twice a week, the dose of Vagifem used to be 50 mcg a week before manufacturer reduced the dose. I would start using it every other day and see if that helps.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 03:49:50 PM »

Whose bright idea was it that ladies 'can manage' on 10 mcg instead of 25?  I would love to meet him  >:(

Use it as often as required until you begin to feel comfortable as well as pain relief.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2020, 03:52:35 PM »

One lady GP said she was furious when they reduced it as many of her ladies had a return of symptoms, so she upped their dose to 5 X a week.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2020, 03:53:20 PM »

:thankyou:

Tinkerbell

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2020, 03:56:00 PM »

Jutee....Vagifem used to be 25mcg per applicator X2 a week, manufacturer reduced it to 10mcg X2 a week several years ago, not sure when as it has always been 10 mcg since i have used it. The female GP at my practice said she felt it was a financial reason behind it, but that was just her opinion.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2020, 06:01:44 PM »

Could sell more product?

KaraShannon

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2020, 07:32:07 PM »

I must say vagifem helps but I do think I need it daily.  I won't take it daily though because of the effects on me, increased sensitivity to sound, notice hair falling out more and more tendency to migraine.  So it's a balancing act and not ideal.