Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Mirena and tiredness  (Read 3155 times)

Sleepy123

Mirena and tiredness
« on: August 06, 2020, 11:10:36 AM »

Hello Ladies  :)

So, I have been using 25g Estraderm and Mirena coil for about 5 months, and it’s so nice to finally feel almost normal!

But since I had Mirena fitted I have been feeling quite tired. It’s really weird because sometimes it completely knocks me out, but sometimes I only sleep for about 5 hours, which is not great when I work shifts!

I think the oestrogen side of things are working quite well, but the progestin not so much?

I’m considering going back on the combined pill (which my doctor suggested) or maybe trying evorel conti/sequi?

Just looking for other people’s experiences with Mirena or pill. I am 48 and haven’t had a period for about 18 months

SueLW

Re: Mirena and tiredness
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 02:03:17 PM »

Hi

I love the Mirena for HRT. But all progestins have a slightly sedative effect.  Some of us feel it more than others.  If you do, try increasing your patch to a 50mcg patch.  25 is the lowest dose and might just not be enough anymore.  You should sleep well with good oestrogen levels, so that tells me you need a bit more.

You say sometimes it is worse than others.  Is it worse on patch change days when the old one is wearing out? Also, patch adhesion can sometimes be better than others so sometimes you may get less benefit from it.

I'm a patch user and a Mirena user.  I like them both but I'm on 150 patch now.  25 is a kind of starter dose.

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 06:02:59 PM »

I also think increasing oestrogen would be the first step. I get tired with utrogeston. It is very much worse on the cycles when I ovulate so my body is producing it too and not so bad when I don't so for me it's definitely about the amount of progesterone. Mirena is designed primarily as a contraceptive so gives higher levels than you would normally use for hrt. Some people find it settles after 6 months.

Sleepy123

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 08:52:33 PM »

Thank you for taking the time to reply.  :)

I did wonder if I needed to increase the oestrogen patch to 50. My doctor wasn’t very helpful!

That’s useful to know about the levels ‘wearing off’. I just assumed it would provide a constant continual dose.

I might have to start monitoring my sleep patterns and see when it gets worse.

This is an ongoing struggle isn’t it !!  :-\

shrosphirelass

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 05:19:46 PM »

I am on evorel conti and was advised to change patch every 3 days to avoid a dip and increase in symptoms.