Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Post-meno and tendons  (Read 1290 times)

Noheroicsplease

Post-meno and tendons
« on: August 11, 2020, 02:42:26 PM »

Hi all,

Hope you are all well.

I'm post meno, off HRT (8 months now) and generally feeling fine. Except that I seem to have developed some weird tendonitis in one ankle, and a sore calf and tendonitis in the other. Plus possibly around my middle finger knuckle.

I attribute it to very tight calves and not stretching enough (I do a weighted exercise round/HITT) and skipping at beginning of lockdown which was hard on my feet, I think.

BUT, I'm really surprised how sore it is despite resting it for two weeks and doing exercises.

My question is - do you think there's a relationship between post meno, lack of estrogen and more issues with tendons and recovery?

THanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Post-meno and tendons
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 03:03:48 PM »

Yep.

As oestrogen levels drop off muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  Have you tried an over the counter pain relief?

Wear and tear is of course normal, i.e. osteo arthritis in the joints.  The joys of ageing ? 

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 04:57:47 PM »

Hello Noheroicsplease.

I can't advise you I'm afraid but I think I have developed something similar in my arm/shoulder.

I am also post meno and have been off HRT for a year. During Lockdown I noticed that my upper arm was hurting when using my Tablet which I attributed to RSI. I also began doing new exercises and even brisk walking made my arm hurt.

I've done some research and think the pain may be tendon related and I'm hoping to ask my GP soon.

You could be right that low post meno oestrogen is a factor and if I discover anything interesting I will update the forum.

Take care.

K.

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 06:40:02 PM »

Thanks both.

It's frustrating. I really don't want to go back on HRT because of it.

Yes, Kathleen, do report back! Thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 07:52:31 AM »

Frozen shoulder is common in menopause.  Due to the lack of joint lubrication as the body dries due to lack of oestrogen.