Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Vitamin d / cod liver oil  (Read 2238 times)

shrosphirelass

Vitamin d / cod liver oil
« on: August 02, 2020, 01:28:27 PM »

How often do people take the above? I know more is needed in the summer, but due to fair skin I rarely sit out and when I go for my daily half hour walk I cover up, so not sure the summer is much better than the winter for me. Ive been having a small spoonful of cod liver oil every other day ish. Wondered if this is about right?

dahliagirl

Re: Vitamin d / cod liver oil
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 03:37:12 PM »

Usually, 10 ug (400iu) is recommended daily, or 25ug (1000 iu) for winter.

It is ok to take more than this daily, as long as you do not have something like Sjorens syndrome where you need to be more careful - I take about 4000iu in the winter.

Cod liver oil comes with vitamin A which you don't need quite so much of, so it would be better to get a specific supplement. 

You can get cheaper tablets from the supermarket or more expensive ones that come with K2, magnesium and boron which help with absorption if you look around, mostly on the internet.  A good diet with plenty leafy greens should help with these minerals, but you may need to supplement if you take a high dose.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 06:14:10 PM »

cod liver oil  :-X  :sick02:  even my cats wouldn't touch it ;-)

Have a chat with the Pharmacist?  A blood test will telll if the body is short as will symptoms.  4 me 1 August it was 20 mins. weeding then sitting still for 2 hours, absolutely whacked  :-\.  Capsules solved the problem.  That was even though I had been outside nearly all of that year in our garden/walking.

Harmony

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 09:58:04 AM »

The RDA for vitamin d is a lot lower than is optimal for most people, unless you're out in the sun a lot with some exposed skin. Up to 4000iu a day is safe, yet the RDA is 400iu! Ideally you should have a blood test to check your your vitamin d levels before taking a high dose supplement. I used to take a vitamin d supplement of 1000iu a day, as well as a multivitamin which contains 400iu, so quite a high dose. I spend little time in bright sunlight as I can't cope with high temperatures. I decided to up the vitamin d supplement to 2000iu last winter, as I read that it can help with depression, which I was suffering from badly. I also started taking high dose turmeric, which can also help with depression. I have ME too, which is very debilitating, and is worse in winter, so those combined with menopause wasn't a good combo. To my surprise after about a month to 6 weeks my mood lifted, and my energy increased a bit too. 🙂 I'm not suceptible to the placebo effect! Unfortunately as I increased the vitamin d at the same time as starting the turmeric, I don't know which is responsible for the improvement, it could well be both. Inflammation is heavily implicated in depression, and turmeric is a strong anti inflammatory. I've taken many, many supplements over the years, and never had the lasting improvement that I've had with these. I also take a multivitamin/mineral, you need co factors such as vitamin k, zinc and magnesium I seem to remember, to help the absorption of vitamin d. Cod liver oil isn't great, it's the filtering system of the fish and can be high in toxins including heavy metals, which are abundant in the sea (unless well filtered). Fish oils tend to go rancid very quickly, hence the awful taste, unless they contain vitamin e which slows the degredation down, and they should be refrigerated or even put in the freezer. Rancid fish oils are high in free radicals, which are damaging to the body.

I bought both products from Nature's Best, who supply quality supplements. They guarantee the purity and potency of their products, and virtually all of them are manufactured in the UK. Unbelievably, it's legal for supplements to be manufactured abroad and packaged in the UK, and to declare that they're made in the UK! 🙄  They're often made in China - I wouldn't knowingly put anything produced in China into my body! Many supplements contain nowhere near the potency stated on the label, and some contain contaminants like heavy metals, so you really need to only buy them from reputable companies rather than cheap stuff from eBay, supermarkets etc. Just wanted to make people aware how important it is to buy quality supplements for reasons of safety and efficacy.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 10:05:02 AM by Harmony »

dahliagirl

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 11:59:05 AM »

That is interesting - spot on six weeks was the time I saw a difference with vit D - I had had a blood test and was very low but not deficient.  I had been feeling low since an operation 8 months earlier and just couldn't be bothered - and that feeling lifted too.

It is the only supplementation that has ever worked for me.  It has lifted a few problems but unfortunately has not turned me into the energetic powerhouse I would like  ;D

dahliagirl

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 12:12:12 PM »

The cheap supermarket vit D does work - they were brought in after a court case where a young girl's baby was born deficient (I can't remember all the details but I think that she was accused of harming her baby and it did not end well) and it was realised that is was something that needed to be easily accessible.

They are made with cheap calcium supplementation or on a calcium base.  They don't come with other vitamins and minerals that help absorption or will be depleted more quickly if you take high doses and may not be as useful if you have other absorption problems.  They are useful if you are on a tight budget though.