Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Frozen shoulder and menopause  (Read 3979 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Frozen shoulder and menopause
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2020, 04:22:27 PM »

Get thee some appropriate Vaginal Atrophy treatment DLC - either vagifem or ovestin ;-)

C.C.

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2020, 06:01:08 PM »

I also had a similar experience in 2018.  I had both shoulders freeze at the same time.  It was agony and I was virtually disabled for 9 months - my partner had to dress me, wash my hair ..... and even pull my jeans up after going to the toilet!  I couldn't sleep at night because of the pain (my job requires me to be fit and active and I've always looked after myself with diet and exercise ... so this really came out of the blue).

I also had arthrographic distention done in both shoulders (the private doctor who recommended it to me called it hydrodilatation as apparently it can be done with either air or saline) - I was referred to our NHS hospital where they used air -  the pain eased almost immediately and with physio I have nearly recovered full range of movement.  I'd definitely recommend it.

I had also read that menopausal women suffer from this a lot.  Who'd have thought that our hormones could do all these things to us?!!  I've just started HRT as since then I've had so many other issues - V.A. and other joint problems.

Hi DLC,  I cannot imagine having it in both arms!  It was painful enough in one shoulder!   I was so grateful to have had the distention done, it was a lifesaver.  I actually had both air and saline injected. The air was the thing that made my shoulder feel like it was going to explode lol.
Glad it all worked out for you and you found relief!

Catcc

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2020, 10:40:23 PM »

Haha.  I know what you mean re thinking shoulder would explode. When I had the first one done I remember thinking "ok .. this is a new experience".  But the second one, a month later, I remember thinking "OMG when is he going to stop pumping all that air into me?!. Im going to explode".
It was never-ending.  It wasn't painful though.  Just weird :-)

CLKD thanks.  The V.A. seems to be improving with vagifem.  Hoping the systemic HRT will help too. For me 2018 was the year of frozen shoulders.  Then 2019 was the year of VA, vulvadynia, allergic reaction to vulval moisturisers and ultimately diagnosis of VIN3.  Operation in December. Oh the joys of Menopause :-). Jane Lewis' book is must read.  And, like Jane, I would advise everyone to check their vulva regularly and if they see anything odd, get it checked out.  I paid to see vulval dermatologist.  So glad I did.  If it hadn't been for the V.A. rearing it's ugly head, I wouldn't have discovered the V.I.N. as it wasn't painful (also my doctor missed it when she examined me).
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 07:55:29 AM by DLC »

Kate29

• First Flush
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2020, 11:00:06 PM »

I'm 51 and peri meno. I had a frozen shoulder last year that lasted about a year and then settled. Since around januboth my elbows have been painful.

My sister is 2yrs older than me and a couple of yes ago she experienced the same,  frozen shoulder for a year then painful elbows.

I wonder if its genetic?

C.C.

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2020, 11:17:05 PM »

I haven't heard that it's hereditary. When I had my procedure I don't recall the radiologist asking if anyone in my family had it. But I could be wrong!   :)

Did you report your elbow pain to your doctor?

Kate29

• First Flush
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2020, 05:40:11 AM »

C.c  I didn't mention my joints to my GP but just thought as my sister is two years older and I'm experiencing both shoulder then elbow pain two years after her,  it was a bit of  a coincidence.
I have read joint pain can be a symptom of the menopause.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2020, 06:11:24 AM »

Lack of oestrogen which is like an oil in the joints .........

DLC - glad that your symptoms of VA are eased.  Remind me, what is VIN?
Pages: 1 [2]