Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Frozen shoulder and menopause  (Read 3980 times)

C.C.

Frozen shoulder and menopause
« on: August 01, 2020, 06:13:48 PM »

I wanted to share an experience I had while going through menopause a couple of years ago and,
 maybe someone here is going through the same situation.
I was diagnosed with frozen shoulder or medically known as adhesive capsulitis.  I learned that this condition is more prevalent in women going through menopause...they don't know why. The likely explanation is hormones...and when isn't it hormones in menopause! ;)

So what happens is the capsule in the shoulder joint becomes inflamed and "sticky," for lack of a better term. This eventually can severely restrict the range of motion in the affected shoulder.
 I saw my GP when it just started being a problem. We had just returned from Costa Rica and I thought I might have hurt it somenhow.  He suggested I may eventually need surgery although he didn't officially diagnose frozen shoulder. He suggested getting treated by my chiropractor first to try and loosen the joint. Thankfully it was only in the one shoulder, it can happen in both at the same time or one after the other.  :o
 I did Active Release Therapy for 6 weeks and it wasn't getting any better.  It was painful all the time,  I couldn't lift my arm at all and I could never find a comfortable sleeping position.  I had no choice to sleep on the shoulder because it seemed to stablize it and kept gravity from moving it.  I wasn't making any progress for those 6 weeks so the next step was to see a sports physician and get cortisone shots.  At my first appt. he did a range of motion test, ordered and x-ray and ultrasound.  With that it confirmed it was frozen shoulder.  He gave me a shot in the joint and told me to come back in two weeks and continue with the A.R.T. I got some relief but not for very long.  I had 3 more shots over the following 6 weeks but I still had very limited range of motion.  Finally, it was decided that I needed something more invasive but not surgery.  I was referred to a radiologist for a procedure called Arthrographic Distention.  Basically, via X-ray, they put a needle in the space in the joint, and inject saline, steroid, and air to distend the joint space and break up the adhesions.  It's done under local anesthetic and there is very little pain, but alot of pressure in the joint. After the procedure, they sat me up and I could actually move my arm 45 degrees. It was amazing!  Over time I continued with the chiro and it took about 18 months to finally get full range of motion restored. My chiro bestowed me the honour of having the most stubborn case of frozen shoulder he has ever treated ;D

Long story short,  if this sounds familiar to anyone, do try the cortisone but ask about this procedure.  I should have had it done alot sooner. 

My shoulder is good now and fingers crossed it doesn't end up in the other!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Frozen shoulder and menopause
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 06:19:17 PM »

It is common during The Change: MinL and my Mum suffered but it wasn't connected at the time.  Mum was advised by a physio to lean forwards with both arms and do a 'stirring C.mas pudding' movement allowing gravity to assist.  She never did recover full elevation in one arm and even now, aged 93, has difficulty.

Depo Medrone injections were given, a bit of 'oil'/WD40 then manipulation under GA if necessary, were a way of loosening the joint.  Never awake as the Consultant didn't want resistance as it can be quite noisy and painful with clicks!

The method you describe sounds easier.  I suppose I ought to begin movement of both shoulders as I rarely reach up for anything as I don't dust. Swimming also should help, breast stroke as gentle stretching exercise?

C.C.

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 07:03:04 PM »

It is common during The Change: MinL and my Mum suffered but it wasn't connected at the time.  Mum was advised by a physio to lean forwards with both arms and do a 'stirring C.mas pudding' movement allowing gravity to assist.  She never did recover full elevation in one arm and even now, aged 93, has difficulty.

Depo Medrone injections were given, a bit of 'oil'/WD40 then manipulation under GA if necessary, were a way of loosening the joint.  Never awake as the Consultant didn't want resistance as it can be quite noisy and painful with clicks!

The method you describe sounds easier.  I suppose I ought to begin movement of both shoulders as I rarely reach up for anything as I don't dust. Swimming also should help, breast stroke as gentle stretching exercise?

Hi CKLD,

Sure, you could do shoulder rotation/range of motion excercises but I'm not sure that will deter it from developing; or that it's even hereditary :neutral:

The manipulation under GA discussion did come up but the Doc was not a fan and wanted to try the scope first.  I'm glad it worked because the thought of having someone turning my shoulder into a pretzel while I was asleep did not appeal to me in the least!

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 07:23:04 PM »

Better than whilst awake, trust me - have watched several and the noise  :o  ;D

As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax including those in the shoulders.  It can be a very painful condition.

C.C.

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 07:48:07 PM »

Painful and excruciating at times!   :o

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 08:12:11 PM »

Yep. 

dangermouse

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 08:41:45 PM »

My friend had this last year, was in one shoulder and then moved to the other one. She could barely raise her arm and was hard to put on a coat. She had months of physio therapy (although wasn't good at doing the exercises!) and it wouldn't go at all. She was then put on iron tablets by her doc as her anaemia she's always had had got worse. The frozen shoulder then vanished and hasn't returned. Maybe a link?

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 08:23:13 AM »

Is iron a healer in that it would have eased the muscle contraction around the joints?  Worth knowing!

C.C.

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2020, 05:57:18 PM »

Interesting point about the iron!   :)  I don't believe they ever considered that as my iron levels have always been normal and I don't recall reading anything about it when I researched the condition.

Hmmmmm...

Treehouse1

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 01:17:58 PM »

I also hit the menopause and when i came off hrt , i had one shoulder freeze then the other. I went to physio for 6 Months with the first one...it did absolutely zilch. I religiously followed the regime 3 times a day...nothing. Doctor then injected it with cortico steroids and that evening it started freeing and havent looked back.

C.C.

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2020, 02:52:37 PM »

I also hit the menopause and when i came off hrt , i had one shoulder freeze then the other. I went to physio for 6 Months with the first one...it did absolutely zilch. I religiously followed the regime 3 times a day...nothing. Doctor then injected it with cortico steroids and that evening it started freeing and havent looked back.

Hi there!  How great that the cortisone worked for you so well!  That's amazing! :banana:

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2020, 03:18:30 PM »

Oils the joint which has dried due to menopause.  WD40 ;-)

Kathleen

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2020, 04:04:28 PM »

Hello ladies

A friend of mine who is post meno and never taken HRT had a frozen shoulder about two years ago.

She followed the NHS  physio exercises but also topped up with private treatments. Initially she was told it could take two years to resolve but I think she was back to normal in six months. As far as I can remember she didn't need  injections but as inflammation is at the route of the condition a course of corticosteroids makes sense.

Annoyingly I am struggling with a painful  arm/shoulder atm and I am trying to get a GP appointment. In the meantime I plan to increase my anti inflammatory foods to see it that helps.

Take care.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2020, 05:40:48 PM »

The bones begin to grate together as we age, once the steroid injection is in it can lubricate the area which enables gentle movement with less fear of pain.  Some don't get full movement back even with physio..

Catcc

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2020, 03:56:23 PM »

I also had a similar experience in 2018.  I had both shoulders freeze at the same time.  It was agony and I was virtually disabled for 9 months - my partner had to dress me, wash my hair ..... and even pull my jeans up after going to the toilet!  I couldn't sleep at night because of the pain (my job requires me to be fit and active and I've always looked after myself with diet and exercise ... so this really came out of the blue).

I also had arthrographic distention done in both shoulders (the private doctor who recommended it to me called it hydrodilatation as apparently it can be done with either air or saline) - I was referred to our NHS hospital where they used air -  the pain eased almost immediately and with physio I have nearly recovered full range of movement.  I'd definitely recommend it.

I had also read that menopausal women suffer from this a lot.  Who'd have thought that our hormones could do all these things to us?!!  I've just started HRT as since then I've had so many other issues - V.A. and other joint problems. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 03:59:04 PM by DLC »
Pages: [1] 2