Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Diazepam for anxiety  (Read 1883 times)

sed

Diazepam for anxiety
« on: July 31, 2020, 06:42:50 PM »

So, I tried one SSRI and I couldn’t cope with the side effects.  GP prescribed me Diazepam for a more instant relief at up to 3 a day at 2mg whilst I wait for my consultation for HRT from a menopause consultant.  Over the course of say 3 weeks I have used it twice but on both occasions when the meds are wearing off I feel my anxiety is continuous, muscles even more weak, seem to be in more of a panic state.   :'( 

My question is - is it my imagination or is this a thing with these meds? 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Diazepam for anxiety
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 07:20:22 PM »

Some suffer bounce back anxiety.  But 2mg isn't a great amount.  When do you require it?  I took 5mg 3 times a day for 10 days initially then on an as necessary basis. 

Also adrenaline surges can cause similar symptoms. 

sed

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 08:01:52 PM »

GP suggested when I am having a particularly bad day (today the hottest day so far  :'() I should take it.  What does it mean “adrenaline surge”?

It made me feel a bit vulnerable today even though it was a low dose especially when it began to wear off.  Had to lean on my 17 year old for support and now feel guilty :-(. He knows and understands and actually he has read up on anxiety and what to expect.  Still leaves me feeling like a failure  :'(

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 07:54:08 AM »

Anxiety and depression are good at the guilt and 'failure' feelings. 

When you have taken the diazepam what do you do?  If you do too much, i.e. rush round with the hoover, you may well feel anxious again as the drug wears off.  How long does it last?  Anxiety is physical regardless of what many therapists suggest! so there will be bounce back as well as adrenaline surges.  If you don't understand that you haven't had them so cross that off your worry list ;-).

Your 17 year old would probably rather know and be aware than in the dark!

Sadie49

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 09:04:21 AM »

I don't know if this will help or hinder you but I have had 25 years experience of Diazepam and know they can make the difference between moving on and becoming stuck!

I was first given them for anxiety - 3 2mg per day. Mother's little helpers the song says! They took the edge of everything nasty for me then - this is before the MP kicked in!

Some days 2mg wasn't enough so I took 4mg and felt amazing - like 2 glasses of good wine! Other days I didn't seem to need them at all then I found out that this sort of drug stays active in your system for a long while so the days I took 4mg at one go seemed to roll over on to the next day when I didn't feel the need for them. I didn't realise at the time that my body/mind was becoming dependant on the drug itself!

25 years later my prescription is 3mg per day as my new GP has been helping me with draw. I know these little marvels can do amazing stuff but beware of staying on them longer than 3-4 weeks! They are incredibly powerful and can, over time cause the very symptoms you needed them for!

My son keeps a small amount for emergencies ie dentist/blood tests etc. where he is sensitive to the procedure. 5mg works to relax him.

Such a small amount (2mg) shouldn't have a massive "come down" especially as you have only just started taking them. This sounds to me like you are anxious about your anxiety and taking these tablets but forgive me if I've read it wrong.

Don't ever feel a failure! The only things we fail at are the things we don't attempt!! Every attempt however small is a success!! We need to love/support/comfort and reassure ourselves of this! Us ladies have enough of a hill to climb during this MP without adding failure to the list!

I hope you are reassured. The dose you have been offered is so very small I would say if it helps even for 3-4 hours per tablet then stick with them but beware of long term use which a good GP will have warned you about.

Good luck!
Sadie x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 10:47:53 AM »

Tnx Sadie.  My GP had me into the surgery twice a week at the time he was advising Valium.  He could also see how I was using the drug so knew I was being sensible.

Certainly 4 me there was a sense that if I took 5mg the effect could last up to a week by which time the event causing any anxiety had gone.  Don't panic about becoming dependant, the idea is to ease anxiety so that we cope.  I always said that I would take anything that gave me any relief as 4 me it's physical!

How do you feel this morning?

sed

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 11:03:58 AM »

Hi both and thanks for your responses.

I feel much better than yesterday.  My anxious thoughts have left a lingering effect on my muscles and appetite - not sure I need to take any meds today.  Just need to eat something.  Get the urge to eat and then, nothing - near on 2 weeks now.  Living on crackers and Tin soup  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 11:33:36 AM »

Better than nowt!  You are getting liquids but not enough protein.

As a recovering anorexic my gut is my weak link.  I can soon stop eating them my brain gets going: you must eat or you will die and your DH will nag: so I have learned to eat little and often.

Porridge  :sick02: slow release but I do love runny 'redy brek'
Bananas
Dried fruits and nuts
Cream crackers
Boiled rice, in a mug - when I begin to feel better I add an Oxo cube to give it flavour
Pancake mix is a good standby as it keeps well in the fridge for 2/3 days - important to eat B4 the body gets hungry!
Small packets of Kellogs, the ones in a mixed pack - eaten dry when travelling has been a saver at times

Also chocolate ;-). A little of what you fancy and don't stick to meal times.  Anxiety causes my thigh muscles to go weak followed by my calves and then I'm on the floor  :-\, weak and shivering.  Which is why I had to devise an eating strategy.

MillieMoo10

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 05:31:53 PM »

Hi Sed
Sorry you are feeling this way anxiety is horrible.  Have you thought about taking a beta blocker on a regular basis ? I used to take Propranonol 3 times a day every day to stabilise the anxiety and at times when I needed more I would skip a beta blocker and take a diazepam.  I never experienced any withdrawal from it maybe because when the diazepam wore off I would continue the propranolol, so it wasn't just diazepam then nothing if you get me. I am not on either now I am on an SSRI called Citalopram 20mg a day - its an antidepressant but I take it for anxiety and I have no side effects whatsoever, 20mg is a fairly low dose you can take up to 40mg a day I believe.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 06:13:30 PM »

Tnx.  In 2001 my GP prescribed 80mg Propranolol 3 times a day then after 5 weeks it was dropped to 40mg at night to ease any early morning surges.   It was successful for many years, then I began with morning headaches so dropped it to 20mg for 2 years: at lockdown in March the headaches began so in order to dismiss C-19 I stopped the BB and the headaches went away. 

I also used deep breathing techniques as well as a relaxation tape [remember those  ::)], the problem was that I had to find time to listen to them.