Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Testosterone and depression  (Read 850 times)

GraeBowie

• First Flush
Testosterone and depression
« on: July 31, 2020, 12:14:57 PM »

Hi everyone,
I have been reading various informative threads on testosterone  but want to know specifically if anyone has had found it to be useful for  treatment resistant depression/persistently low mood? I am unable to take Tibolone due to migraines.

Hurdity

Re: Testosterone and depression
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 07:28:14 AM »

Hi Graebowie - your post seems to have got missed. Usually the first indicator of the need for testosterone is lack of libido ie first sign of low T? However it does have wide-ranging impacts in the body and low T can also cause other symptoms like muscle weakness, fatigue and general lack of oomph (which of course can also be caused by other things!). If your libido is fine then unlikely that T would help. Low libido can also be caused by other things notably certain meds eg some anti-depressants. This probably doesn't answer your question - but I doubt anyone would prescribe T for depression alone - but I might be wrong there?  Also it would not likely be prescribed post-menopause unless oestrogen was also taken and reached adequate levels in the body - for obvious reasons. Depends on your menopausal circumstances and what else you take?

Hurdity x

Tinacros

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 04:26:51 PM »

Hi hurdity I’ve been prescribed testosterone. I’m only on a 25mcg patch. I think my oestrogen is quite low. Am I ok taking T.  I’ve been on it for two weeks now x

Annie0710

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 07:38:55 PM »

I didn’t get prescribed testosterone for low mood but it’s definitely helped it x