Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Almost constant abdominal pain  (Read 1547 times)

Drummer girl

Almost constant abdominal pain
« on: July 27, 2020, 02:50:59 PM »

I have been on HRT for about 2 years. I have been on oral Femoston Conti since Nov 2019 and all was going great until Feb this year when I started getting period-like abdominal cramps and back pain. The doctor thought it may be the HRT that was giving me these symptoms so then prescribed Kliofem but I was still getting the pains with this one. I stopped HRT altogether about 10 weeks ago to see if it was the HRT and I still have the pains. I had a scan, blood tests and had my stool sample checked and everything is normal. I have now been referred to a gastroenterologist.

I know that in menopause you can get these pains periodically but is it normal to have these pains almost constantly? I would be interested to hear if anyone else has experienced this.

7dwarfs

Re: Almost constant abdominal pain
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 03:15:02 PM »

Hi Drummer girl , how long ago did you have your scan and what type did you have?
Your pain sounds similar to mine which I had pre HRT which I started last July  ( femoston 2/10) , it seemed to ease for a while but then started again about 6 months ago. Started with heavy irregular bleeding in March and spotting. I just put it down to being peri and my hormones being all over the place. But in June my GP wanted me to come off HRT and get a scan done.
I had an abdominal ultrasound scan and transvaginal scan about 2 years ago for irregular bleeding which showed nothing.
Had another scan early this July and it’s shown fibroids and thickened womb lining. Apparently fibroids can grow quite quickly and a transvaginal scan , although unpleasant, is more accurate at detecting issues.
I’m currently waiting to hear from the hospital as I’m supposed to be having a hysteroscopy but I requested it under general anaesthetic so it’s delayed things.
Abdominal pain including back pain is definitely one of the symptoms of fibroids but I’m guessing with your HRT you don’t have periods any more?

Drummer girl

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 03:21:54 PM »

Hi 7dwarfs, I had my scan about 2 weeks ago (the same type of scan as you) and I was told that everything was normal, no fibroids or thickened womb. Thankfully I don't have periods any more. This pain is so debilitating - do you have it all the time?

7dwarfs

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 03:42:14 PM »

Hi 7dwarfs, I had my scan about 2 weeks ago (the same type of scan as you) and I was told that everything was normal, no fibroids or thickened womb. Thankfully I don't have periods any more. This pain is so debilitating - do you have it all the time?

Well that’s good news! I have a constant dull ache... always feeling like my periods about to start and it goes right through to my lower back. And have that bloated full feeling also.When it started a few years ago it was just the week pre period , then the week after as well, then my periods were every 3 weeks so pretty much constant. I do have bad period pains during as well  so I’m never completely free of it- oh the joys...I’m hoping that I can get back on HRT soon and that I’m offered a surgical solution to this ,as my womb (apart from growing my 3 children of course ) has been the Bain of my life and I don’t want it or need it!! May sound drastic but at 47 I don’t want to deal with it any more! I’m fed up of the pain and the flooding and the days lost to it all!
I hope you get to the bottom of what’s causing yours soon x