Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Estriol cream  (Read 6098 times)

menowoman

Estriol cream
« on: July 27, 2020, 11:35:23 AM »

Hi its me again, i really need to understand whats happening down below! I posted a while ago about having used vagifem for approx 4 years which worked great until the last few months (a couple of instances of cystitis following sex, possibly due to the lube used as ive always been sensitive to bubble bath etc). Anyway had a chat with nurse at the gp surgery whos now given me estriol cream (0.01 mg).  Ive been using this for a werk every night as instructed and for the next week and i THINK its helping with the general soreness and discomfort (although ive not tried sex yet, im a little anxious about that now tbh). I feel more comfortable sitting down for long periods BUT ive now developed an annoying irritated urethra (i think thats where it is, its an irritating feeling of possibly needing a wee but i definitely dont).  Will the cream not be reaching my bladder bits do you think, and maybe its just helping my actual vagina? Im shoving it up as far as possible.   Also, as its only 0.01 mg and vagifem is 10 mg how will this be enough for me?  Why do you think theyve not given me ovestin which is stronger than  estriol?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Estriol cream
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 01:18:53 PM »

Because you don't usually need two products of similar strengths.  If it's internally used it won't be lubricating the urethra area so maybe put a little on your finger, relax and apply in a gentle circular movement around that part. 

'vagifem' is for internal use, 'estriol' is for the outer labia, urethra area and perineum.  A bit like WD40 for the vaginal area  ;) but much kinder.  No need to put 'estriol' into the vagina itself.

Joaniepat

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 01:31:59 PM »

You can use some estriol cream on the vulva and around the urethra as well as using it internally. I use Vagifem 5 times a week, plus estriol cream externally. How often were you using Vagifem?  If it was only the recommended 2 a week you may have needed it more often. As the Vagifem dose is now only 10 mcg, and there used to be a 25 mcg version, using 5 a week would give you the "old" weekly dose of 50 mcg.

Can't imagine why they have given you estriol cream rather than Ovestin, as they usually go for Ovestin first. However, the amount of cream you are getting with the (huge) applicator will deliver an equivalent dose to one Vagifem. Note that Vagifem is estradiol, not estriol, but that doesn't matter as both will work.

JP x

Joaniepat

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 01:39:46 PM »

Because you don't usually need two products of similar strengths.  If it's internally used it won't be lubricating the urethra area so maybe put a little on your finger, relax and apply in a gentle circular movement around that part. 

'vagifem' is for internal use, 'estriol' is for the outer labia, urethra area and perineum.  A bit like WD40 for the vaginal area  ;) but much kinder.  No need to put 'estriol' into the vagina itself.
Sorry to quibble CLKD, but are you not an Ovestin user? That also contains estriol, and both that and the weaker Estriol Cream can be used both internally and externally. (The Estriol Cream applicator is ginormous though as you need ten times as much, which is why many prefer Ovestin. For as we know, what goes up must come down  ;))

JP x

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 01:45:58 PM »

Whoops  ;D

My 'ovestin' goes up and rarely do I get a discharge  ::)

If 1 is using 'vagifem/ovestin' internally perhaps keep the 'estriol' cream purely for the outer regions ?   I never have problems with the applicator.

Don't hit me with that plaster Joaniepat  ;D .......  :whist:

menowoman

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 02:42:01 PM »

Hi thank you both. The nurse said to apply the cream internally instead of vagifem to see if it suits me better but ill try that and rub a bit in directly if i can find the right spot!  Ah i see (re the strength - so the cream may be weaker but so much goes up in that huge, eye watering applicator i guess its equivalent to one tiny but stronger vagifem.  Ill persevere with the cream but im sure ill need it more than twice a week as theyve advised me (for "safety reasons" they say but i know its ok to take more)

Joaniepat

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 02:46:42 PM »

Good luck menowoman.

CLKD, I wouldn't dream of hitting you with my plaster! Suspect it would hurt me more than you anyway  ;D
JP x

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 04:35:01 PM »

PHEW Joaniepat  ;D

It's a bit Trial and Error menowoman - often we have to do what keeps us comfy  ::)

shrosphirelass

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2020, 07:26:25 PM »

Initailly I didn't get on with vagifem so I was prescribed estriol to use internally. Have you done a 14 day loading period with thiS, I was advised to do that on here. I found the applicator huge and it did seep out and I had permenently wet knickers. The advantage was that it did lubricate outside as well as inside, but I found it a bit of a nuisance so went back to vagifem which I seem to be able to tolerate now. I had nearly two tubes of cream left so I use small amount twice a week  (in addition to the vagifem) on the outside bits.

menowoman

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 09:52:13 PM »

Thank you Shropshirelass.  I am finding it very messy but apart from the constant urge to wee i feel like it may be helping. The tube ive got should just about do the 2 week loading which finishes on thursday. I did a few 14 day reloads with vagifem before x

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2020, 08:20:19 AM »

MayB use a pain relief 3 times a day to ease that urge to pee, it helps relax the bladder spincter.

Do you need to ring for your next prescription?

Andreya Ayers

• First Flush
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2020, 07:14:04 PM »

Need help had constant burning when I go for a week currently on Estriol been using it almost a week still always needing a wee it’s like passing glass maybe ring doc on Friday and ask for more help sore vagina like I’ve got a blow torch down there constant any advice would be grateful

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2020, 07:15:32 PM »

A week isn't long enough - maybe take a pain relief tablet 3 times a day which will ease symptoms.

:welcomemm:  do read our threads on bladder issues and vaginal atrophy.  Make notes ;-)

Andreya Ayers

• First Flush
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2020, 08:16:08 PM »

Taking pain relief been in agony for nearly 6 weeks thank you for your advice much appreciated 🙂

Joaniepat

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2020, 05:20:34 AM »

Welcome Andrea Ayers! Sorry to hear you are in agony. A week isn't long on the Ovestin, but could you also have a UTI?
JP x
Pages: [1] 2