Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: HRT dilemma  (Read 882 times)

Kay21

HRT dilemma
« on: July 23, 2020, 10:24:23 PM »

I’m having a massive wobble
Tonight. I’ve pretty much decided to start hrt in the next couple of
Weeks as I’m suffering g with bad flushes and insomnia and also dizziness that drs seem to think is hormonal. I was fine to start but the. I read a fairly negative post about hrt on a Facebook menopause group. There have been many positive
Posts, but the one negative one has got me thinking maybe I shouldn’t go on it. I’m cancer phobic which doesn’t help and a tiny part of me is thinking I’m just giving cancer an open door to come to
Me by taking hormones. Then I think there is so much research and good stuff said about hrt, why am I worrying? I’m having such a dilemma I don’t know
What to
Do now.

Gnatty

Re: HRT dilemma
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 09:00:17 PM »

Hi Kay21, I totally sympathise with how you must be feeling. I have health anxiety too and it only takes for me to read a negative comment about some health issue to unsettle decisions I had already made.  But I don't think you will ever find 100% positive reviews about anything. And I too thought how would I feel if I then got cancer - would it 'serve me right' so to speak?  I thought about whether to take HRT for a long time before I took the plunge. I read plenty especially on this website and decided that for me the positives outweighed any possible albeit unlikely risks. You are right, so much research and so many benefits.  I also thought that I could minimise my risks by eating well, exercising and maintaining a healthy weight.

I think it's worth bearing in mind that it can take a good few weeks, maybe months to get exactly the right mix that suits you and you might  feel worse before it gets better. There are many really helpful women on here that know far more than me about it. Four weeks in and I feel that I am starting to feel a definite improvement. The hot flushes disappeared relatively quickly  but am now starting to have more energy and sleeping better too.

Maybe there comes a point that when once you have reached a decision it might be best to stop googling for a while and see how you get on without outside influences. I remember that chapter in Three Men in A Boat where the main guy comes across a medical dictionary and convinces himself he is suffering from absolutely everything - apart from dodgy knees!!

Best of luck to you, let us know what you decide.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HRT dilemma
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 08:30:54 AM »

Facebook?   A mine of negative information usually  ::)

Maybe keep a mood/food/symptom diary to chart your feelings.  Decide which symptom you would like to ease and put it into the search box, you'll find that most have been through similar.  Quality of Life?

I had breast disease in the 1990s and the Oncologist told me at my last appt. "No HRT for you young Lady".  However, had I needed it ......... phobias can control every moment of our Lives, mine did  :'(

Do read the threads on vaginal atrophy as this does require HRT if troublesome which is delivered differently.