Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Bleeding for 2 months so far...  (Read 1012 times)

Brit66

Bleeding for 2 months so far...
« on: July 27, 2020, 09:50:22 PM »

Hi all, I'm 53, and perimenopausal. I have been having erratic periods for the past couple of years, but hadn't had 1 since February. But in May I started a period then a week after I'd stopped, I started again and had the usual aching joints, pmt, insomnia etc, that I usually get with my periods. I went to see my gp and they took bloods and did a swab, all ok.
So now I'm waiting to have a hysteroscopy and still bleeding. Sometimes it's heavy and then it goes light and stops but then always starts again within a few hours.
This may or not be relevant, but in March this year, I found a huge cyst in my breast one day.  I was seen by the breast clinic within 2 weeks and it was just a cyst and was drained. What a relief! I do have a small fibroid but never knew it was there until a scan picked it up routinely. 
I have been offered a place at university to become a psychiatric nurse and I really want to do this, I've waited for years till my children were grown up and I'm worried this will take my big chance away...I have to have a health form signed by my gp and give it in to the health team and so obviously I'm concerned they will decide I shouldn't be on the course.
I can't believe it, I hardly ever go to the dr and now these health problems just keep in coming. Has anyone had these symptoms? I'm scaring myself silly here with thoughts of womb cancer etc, so I'd really be grateful for some support and to hear of other's experiences. Please help if you can! Thank you :'(

Taz2

Re: Bleeding for 2 months so far...
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 07:44:24 AM »

Hi Brit66.

Your symptoms sound typical for peri Meno to me so I think your doctor is just being ultra cautious. During peri hormones switch on and off at the 'wrong' times which gives confusing signals causing bleeding to be turned on and off - my simple way of seeing it! For me, when I was your age, this meant going three months, two weeks, nine months etc without a period. Periods lasted anything from 1 day to three months (once) and they were light or heavy enough to necessitate a change of super plus tampon plus night-time pad every couple of hours.

Try not to worry too much. You may like to put a new post up under New Members too to introduce yourself where more of the lovely members of this forum will see it and welcome you. Lots of help and support on here.

Congratulations by the way on your university place! 

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Brit66

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 08:25:21 AM »

Thanks so much Taz! What you are saying is actually very reassuring, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply :D
I have never heard of anyone, apart from my nana, having such long periods so it is good to know I'm not the only one.
If it's just being my age, then great, I can cope with that, it's just the thought of it being cancer and also if I lost my career over this, that bothers me.
Yes, I will introduce myself, thanks again!

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 02:21:19 PM »

I'm glad it was helpful. Don't forget to let us know how you get on.

Taz x  :hug:

Brit66

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 06:37:08 PM »

I'm glad it was helpful. Don't forget to let us know how you get on.

Taz x  :hug:

Very helpful! And yes, I definitely will give an update  :)

shrosphirelass

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 07:00:27 PM »

Hi Brit66, I am sure as Taz2 said it is just a precautionary measure. Try not to worry, easier said than doine I know. They are very reactive to  bleeding.

RE your course. I too started a health related degree course (5 years ago) at the age of 53. I'm doing it part time over 6 years as it is a long commute in and the work load was large. I am about to go into my final year at age 58. Anyway, when I started we had to do some kind of health declaration and I had received CBT for anxiety the year or so before so I was really worried that this would impact on me being able to do the course. However, it wasn't even mentioned and my experience is that several people on my course have health related issues. What they are generally concerned about is how they can best support you.

Good luck and Congratulations on gaining a place on the course. Let us know how you get on and welcome to the Forum.

Brit66

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 08:15:56 PM »

Hi Shrosphirelass,

Thanks so much for being so kind and empathetic, I really appreciate it and it really helps! I think it's fantastic that you have done a course for this long, it really is an achievement and I'm inspired😊
I definitely am worried about this messing up my course but it is what it is and hopefully it will be all over with by the time my course starts at the end of September. I usually am really healthy and right now this has to happen...but as you said, there are others with health problems, and hopefully the health team will be supportive.  It seems they have to be satisfied that you are capable of working on the wards. 
Thanks again and good luck for your last year!