Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Hi can anyone recommend a Newbie a vaginal moisturiser?  (Read 1663 times)

Klt

Hi can anyone recommend a Newbie a vaginal moisturiser?
« on: July 23, 2020, 01:32:26 PM »

I’m in complete unknown territory here. I’ve gone from having a bit of soreness after my period ends just for a couple of days to now feeling burning and sore more than 50% of the time in just a few months

Swabs were taken on Friday and came back normal so nurse recommended trying a moisturiser first before going down the hormonal route

I’m happy to try but wanted to pick your brains if there’s any that everyone really rates

Thanks in advance

Kathleen

Re: Hi can anyone recommend a Newbie a vaginal moisturiser?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 02:01:47 PM »

Hello Kit and welcome to the forum.

The vaginal moisturiser I use is called YesVM and is available on prescription or you can order it direct from their website. It is about £12 a tube but each tube lasts me a month and I apply it to the external areas twice daily. Other otc preparations are Sylk and Replens. I have used Replens in the  past and that was also okay but I suspect Sylk is more of a lubricant than a moisturiser.

A lot of ladies here use vaginal moisturisers and some also use a topical oestrogen cream called Vagifem which is prescribed by a GP.

I hope this helps and I'm sure more ladies will be along to advise you.

Take care.

K.

Klt

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 02:08:29 PM »

Cheers Kathleen will have a look now

Joaniepat

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 03:02:57 PM »

I second what Kathleen says about Yes VM. Yes also do an oil based called Yes OB, and that is popular too. However, as VA is due lack of oestrogen, the only real solution is to use a local oestrogen product such as Vagifem (pessary) or Ovestin (cream). These are very low dose but target the affected area.  VA will only get worse over time and the sooner you start proper treatment the better. It needs lifelong maintenance.
JP x
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 03:06:02 PM by Joaniepat »

Bobidy

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 03:28:27 PM »

Hi

I use the lot, Vagifem pessary three times per week (if you pop some YES on the outside of the applicator it is easier to insert). The first couple of times might be a bit awkward or uncomfy but try popping one leg bent on a chair or the loo seat and that makes it easier, you could use a mirror if necessary.

Ovestin is great for all the outside bits, I use a pea sized amount each night before bed and the tube lasts 3 months. It can chafe a little at first but this does wear off so do persevere.

I use YES VM each morning after showering, again a pea sized amount all over outside bits. This is really gentle. The tube lasts about 6 months.

I get all of this on prescription along with my patches.

Don't let the dr fob you off saying it's too much HRT! the vaginal stuff isn't, it's local oestrogen and its effect is only in the vagina (bladder and bowel I think too).

It can take a while to notice the effects depending on how your bits are but do persevere. Once you get into the routine it's fine.

You may want to read Hane Lewis' book Me and My Menopausal Vagina which is all about this subject.

Good luck x

Klt

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 03:37:48 PM »

Hi

I use the lot, Vagifem pessary three times per week (if you pop some YES on the outside of the applicator it is easier to insert). The first couple of times might be a bit awkward or uncomfy but try popping one leg bent on a chair or the loo seat and that makes it easier, you could use a mirror if necessary.

Ovestin is great for all the outside bits, I use a pea sized amount each night before bed and the tube lasts 3 months. It can chafe a little at first but this does wear off so do persevere.

I use YES VM each morning after showering, again a pea sized amount all over outside bits. This is really gentle. The tube lasts about 6 months.

I get all of this on prescription along with my patches.

Don't let the dr fob you off saying it's too much HRT! the vaginal stuff isn't, it's local oestrogen and its effect is only in the vagina (bladder and bowel I think too).

It can take a while to notice the effects depending on how your bits are but do persevere. Once you get into the routine it's fine.

You may want to read Hane Lewis' book Me and My Menopausal Vagina which is all about this subject.

Good luck x

Thank you I’ve ordered the Yes off Amazon and I’ll get that tomorrow. I think what I shall also do is create a bit of a glossary for myself for all the hormonal product terminology, so I feel a bit more confident about what does what and what goes where so I’m more prepared if I need another GP appointment

Dierdre

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2020, 06:23:36 PM »

YES products are very good, ive tried them all, but they are  to be used in addition to local oestrogen, please dont delay in getting this treatment. Vagifem and Ovestin are widely used either separately or together.  Moisturisers will help but wont fix the problem of oestrogen deficiency.  Hope you get better advice from the GP.

Bobidy

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2020, 06:24:23 PM »

Oh, I should have said order direct from YES (they have lots of info on their website about which of their products do what). You then get emails with offers and discounts.