Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: What can I expect? Hints or tips?...  (Read 613 times)

LouLou

What can I expect? Hints or tips?...
« on: July 23, 2020, 11:14:08 AM »

Hi,
I’m starting back on HRT - I will still be using Estrogel, but this time I will be using the Utrogestan vaginally - (previously I used it orally) - using it vaginally cuts out risk of DVT, so this is best for me  :)
I wondered what side effects I might experience using it vaginally, if any? Any hints or tips for using it this way?
I need to use 1 tablet (100mg) every other day.
When I used to take it orally, initially it had a sedative effect on me, which was quite nice at night time  ;D and I had mild stomach cramps, but they disappeared after a few weeks.
I understand that I need to insert as high as possible into vagina? And still on an empty stomach, so night time would be good?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated 👍
By the way, my GP admitted that she didn’t know much about using it vaginally for HRT, so she consulted with the menopause clinic on my behalf  :)

sheila99

Re: What can I expect? Hints or tips?...
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 01:10:40 PM »

You should push it up as far as you can just before you go to bed - gravity. As it doesn't pass through the digestive system it doesn't matter if your stomach is full or empty. I get fatigue using it this way but I'm on 200mg sequentially. It's noticeably better when my body isn't contributing so for me I think the worst of it is due to too much progesterone. You should have fewer side effects this way but there's no guarantee there won't be any.

PMDD

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 03:34:42 PM »

I too am looking for help with the side-effects of utrogestan.....sometimes i feel quite sedated (nice when you've been anxious your whole life), but head feels a little 'vertigo' like......swooshy/wobbly etc. Behind my eyes feels 'wooshy' too  :)

Is this a utro side effect, i've only been on them for 3 weeks so far, 100mg vaginally

LouLou

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 08:06:10 PM »

Hi PMDD,
I get that vertigo swooshy feeling without HRT, behind my eyes too!  when I take HRT it disappears! So for me, it isn’t a side effect of the utrogestan - I’ve come to realise (as I’ve suffered with it for years) that it can be a menopausal symptom😔
Hope it gets better for you 👍