Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Had to stop my HRT  (Read 2759 times)

shrosphirelass

Re: Had to stop my HRT
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2020, 12:00:23 PM »

Thanks for the update and don't feel guilty. It's your body and by making a decision you are taking control. Have you completely stopped HRT and if so is this absolutely necsessary and if so could you reduce it gradually? Wishing you well.

7dwarfs

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2020, 02:22:50 PM »

Thanks for the update and don't feel guilty. It's your body and by making a decision you are taking control. Have you completely stopped HRT and if so is this absolutely necsessary and if so could you reduce it gradually? Wishing you well.

Yes I’ve completely stopped at the request of my GP, she tried to persuade me to stop in June when I first contacted her regarding my bleeding saying I really should stop until they investigate the cause. I said I didn’t want to due to how bad I felt pre HRT and she agreed to prescribe tranexamic acid to reduce the blood loss whilst I waited. I’ve been off it 10 days now. I had just started bleeding the day she phoned so thought it was as good a time as any to stop ( if there is such a thing!). The tranexamic acid did it’s job .
I don’t really know what to do about the HRT as I don’t know how long I’m going to be waiting but hopefully will know more by Monday.
I was on femoston 2/10 and don’t know how you would reduce that safely without causing more bleeding or hormonal ups and down as I’m still peri as far as I’m aware.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2020, 07:34:12 PM »

I think there's a femoston 1/12 which is half the dose. I haven't stopped my HRT and hopefully wont have to. The menpause clinic advised me to reduce the dose if the bleeding continued after 6 months (this is separate from the gynae investigations) and if symptoms reoccured to try a different progesterone. They recommended provera as being aprticlarly helpful for contolling bleeding but said it had more side effects. No easy solutions. Hopefully you get sorted soon.

7dwarfs

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2020, 11:35:21 PM »

I was on femoston 1/10 originally before changing to 2/10 and my bleeding was fine for that 3 months trail, it just didn’t quite ease my symptoms as well as 2/10 but I’ll go back rather than stop completely if I can!
I finally got the call from the gynaecologist today and I’m booked in for next Wednesday to have the hysteroscopy. She said I can have local anaesthetic and gas and air if needed ,so I’ve decided to go for it rather than wait. She said with the current situation there was less risk and I would have to wait as well. We had a chat about my history and she explained the GP hadn’t actually supplied my scan results and she knew nothing about the HRT or fibroids . The GP had just sent a referral letter saying thickened endometrium ( not even a measurement!) and irregular bleeding. So she’s going to chase that up before she sees me next week . I asked her about stopping the HRT but due to the limited information she couldn’t help and tried to push the idea of a coil once this is sorted which I’m really against but I’ll worry about that after next week. I’m just hoping now that with the pain relief offered it won’t be too bad... fingers crossed 🤞

shrosphirelass

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2020, 07:24:11 PM »

Good luck 7 dwarfs, good that you have something sorted. Let us know how you get on. I will be thinking of you.

7dwarfs

Re: Had to stop my HRT*Update
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2020, 01:47:46 PM »

So I’ve been for my hysteroscopy this morning. I was given a local anaesthetic into my cervix and the whole thing was over and done with very quickly! Pain was on a par with my period pains so it was no where near as bad as I expected. The gynaecologist took a biopsy but said everything looks normal .
She explained everything before hand and said my womb lining had measured 15.2 mm and their cut off point for concern is 15. Amazing how much that varies depending on hospital! I also have a 35mm fibroid in my womb lining and what appear to be the start of several more :-\
Afterwards I asked about treatment regarding fibroids ,she wasn’t at all concerned that anything sinister was going on with my womb lining and the fibroids were a common problem that would probably go away once I am through the menopause . Basically once I’ve got the all clear from my biopsy ( hopefully in the next week ) I can get back on my HRT. She said it was fine to continue managing the bleeding with Transamic acid but did recommend the coil if my bleeding becomes worse .
At the moment ,she said due to the pandemic any surgical intervention would not be on the cards as the wait could be for ever.
I’ve just got to monitor the situation, hope that my fibroids don’t get any worse and crack on :o
I’m a little bit worried that if I can grow one fibroid that big so fast ( in under 2 years ) that the others may follow suite
and I’m peri which can go on for quite a while! With limited treatment options on the horizon I’m going to keep everything crossed!!!

Sparkler

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2020, 05:19:59 PM »

Woohoo! Glad to hear it went well. Well done and... relax!
Sparkler
X

7dwarfs

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2020, 05:37:42 PM »

Woohoo! Glad to hear it went well. Well done and... relax!
Sparkler
X

:thankyou:

shrosphirelass

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2020, 10:40:38 AM »

Well done for getting through it and good luck with the results

7dwarfs

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2020, 10:52:27 AM »

Well done for getting through it and good luck with the results

Thankyou shrosphirelass.  :)

SueLW

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2020, 02:16:02 PM »

Please don't worry about a hysteroscopy.  It's fine.  I had one about 18 months ago.  I took paracetamol before and didn't need anything else.

Mine was done at Oxford.  It was very quick.  I laid on a gynaecologist bed with feet up and out and they used a warm water wash to sluice as she worked.  It felt wet but fine.  I wasn't even really uncomfortable.  She found 2 polyps (which were causing the bleeding) and 2 fibroids.  It was over so quickly I wasn't sure she'd done it.  I can't stress enough that it really didn't hurt, just feels odd.

I had the polyps removed a couple of weeks later and Mirena coil fitted under GA and I've been fine and bleed free since.  Best thing I did as I'd been plagued with bleeding and thickened womb lining.  There was nothing wrong, just the Utrogestan I was taking hadn't kept the lining thin enough.

7dwarfs

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2020, 05:41:38 PM »

Please don't worry about a hysteroscopy.  It's fine.  I had one about 18 months ago.  I took paracetamol before and didn't need anything else.

Mine was done at Oxford.  It was very quick.  I laid on a gynaecologist bed with feet up and out and they used a warm water wash to sluice as she worked.  It felt wet but fine.  I wasn't even really uncomfortable.  She found 2 polyps (which were causing the bleeding) and 2 fibroids.  It was over so quickly I wasn't sure she'd done it.  I can't stress enough that it really didn't hurt, just feels odd.

I had the polyps removed a couple of weeks later and Mirena coil fitted under GA and I've been fine and bleed free since.  Best thing I did as I'd been plagued with bleeding and thickened womb lining.  There was nothing wrong, just the Utrogestan I was taking hadn't kept the lining thin enough.

Thanks Sue, I had my hysteroscopy and everything went well. As I’ve had treatment to my cervix before she used a local anaesthetic , as the previous treatment can make things a bit tight to get the instrument through ,so that really helped. They also used the fluid but I didn’t really feel that and once it was in I had some pretty strong cramping but nothing I don’t get during my period. I didn’t feel the biopsy being taken and I don’t think the whole thing took more than 5 minutes! As said in my previous post everything looked healthy so I’m not worried about my results which should come through by mid week next week.
I had a polyp about 12 years ago protruding from my cervix and it caused horrendous bleeding. My hysteroscopy then was done under a general anaesthetic and I was given the all clear. Apparently they can come back but non were found this time. It’s fibroids that are the guilty party now!
Pages: 1 [2]