Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: What exercise do you do?  (Read 1117 times)

DelicateButterfly69

What exercise do you do?
« on: July 19, 2020, 08:21:45 PM »

My GP asked me what I weighed when we had the telephone consultation, I said what I thought I would be... I got off the phone and weighed myself. My God, I thought the scales were faulty! I'm normally around 9 stone but I'm 10 and a half! I have to be honest, I have been quite lazy, eating more but not moving about as much and haven't been to work because of lockdown. So I've been on YT and found "Body Project", which I love. Not the advanced workouts by the way. Can you recommend any in particular? Or any I shouldn't be doing. Thanks. :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: What exercise do you do?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 08:44:40 AM »

Hi! oh that weight gain that creeps up  :o

We have several threads on here about exercise so it's obviously a pattern  ::)

Swimming; cycling; Joe Wicks; brisk walking; gardening: hopscotch, skipping    ............   some have found the support from Weight Watchers useful.  DH has lost weight since Jan by cutting out alcohol, biscuits and cake.  We don't walk as much as we ought to do  :-\ - I don't do well in the heat and quite frankly, I'm lazy.

If all else fails, borrow a  :scottie: ;-)

If exercise causes pain in the joints, cut back on how much you are doing.  I would begin by walking ........

DelicateButterfly69

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 09:23:41 AM »

Hello CLKD. You put me to shame! I haven't done hopscotch for quite a few years and I've got a few skipping ropes in the back of the junk drawer. Maybe I should get one out?! We have two dogs, so I do quite a bit of walking, obviously not enough!  ::) Thanks for replying..  :)

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 10:43:32 AM »

;D.  Oh we have a dog breeds thread here too   ;D

I tried skipping and bought a holla hoop a few years ago, couldn't do either  :rofl:  co-ordination had gone  ::)

Don't forget that housework counts as exercise too .......... shaking sheets for example as well as pushing that hoovery-thingy around.  Ironing is good for the upper body.  Apparently  :whist:

Remember that muscle weighs heavy ;-)

Yorkshire Girl

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 03:16:26 PM »

Walking is good & I love swimming but pool still not open at the mo.
Look up Karen Hauer on You Tube she does Cardioke - really good fun, I usually dislike exercise like this, but I did enjoy Zumba, but they are short and she has other workouts on there as well, everything is explained.

Mogster71

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2020, 04:52:55 PM »

My husband bought me a bike at the beginning of lockdown....and now I am addicted to cycling!! At first I thought it would be a passing fad but honestly I miss it when I don't go out  :) At first I was lucky to get round a 3 mile circuit without collapsing afterwards but within the space of a few weeks I was regularly doing 9,10, 12 and now 15 miles on mountain bike. If I can't cycle I now walk.

I like mixing it as walking and running (and skipping come to think of it) are good for bone health as they are considered higher impact than cycling which is great for stamina.

my advice would be to find something you like, then it doesn't feel like a chore - dancing, walking to the shops, a 10 minute HIIT workout or zumba shake out can make you feel just amazing and get you moving. Loads of stuff on YouTube xx

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 05:03:14 PM »

'doesn't feel like a chore' - Good Advice  :thankyou:

Gardening is my 'go to' .........

Mogster71

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2020, 05:46:03 PM »

CLKD that would not be my chosen activity so you're more than welcome to it!! Precisely what I meant though...horses for courses etc.
Hope you're well x

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2020, 06:02:13 PM »

;D.  tnx for asking, lockdown has been great 4 me.  Boris said 'no' ; so stayed at home we did  ;).  Luckily the weather was glorious so we sat in the shade or got on with our garden.  Now we can potter.  Watch the wild birds.  Make plans ......... all of which take energy but are not exactly exercise  ;D. Places we enjoy walking will be heaving with people with the same ideas  ::)

We used to cycle a lot  :-\ but the road conditions are SO bad across the UK and there is SO much traffic that fails to keep to speed
 limits  :-\  >:(.  I can't even remember what colour my cycle is  :-\.  My dream of course is to have a bungalow with the bedroom leading to an indoor heated swimming pool  ;) .........

Plenty of choice on line if necessary.  Curtains closed.  ;-)

DelicateButterfly69

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2020, 08:23:07 PM »

Walking is good & I love swimming but pool still not open at the mo.
Look up Karen Hauer on You Tube she does Cardioke - really good fun, I usually dislike exercise like this, but I did enjoy Zumba, but they are short and she has other workouts on there as well, everything is explained.

Hello Yorkshire girl. Thanks, I'll have to have a look at Cardioke - sounds interesting! I can't say I love exercise really. I do have a step that I go on from time to time, but I soon get bored. or just find any excuse to stop.  No wonder I'm overweight right now! And I can't do a workout if you have to coordinate. I'm useless!:)

DelicateButterfly69

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2020, 08:28:57 PM »

My husband bought me a bike at the beginning of lockdown....and now I am addicted to cycling!! At first I thought it would be a passing fad but honestly I miss it when I don't go out  :) At first I was lucky to get round a 3 mile circuit without collapsing afterwards but within the space of a few weeks I was regularly doing 9,10, 12 and now 15 miles on mountain bike. If I can't cycle I now walk.

I like mixing it as walking and running (and skipping come to think of it) are good for bone health as they are considered higher impact than cycling which is great for stamina.

my advice would be to find something you like, then it doesn't feel like a chore - dancing, walking to the shops, a 10 minute HIIT workout or zumba shake out can make you feel just amazing and get you moving. Loads of stuff on YouTube xx

Hello Mogster.. I so regret not taking up cycling when Lockdown started. We have bikes in the garage but I'm not confident, so I just put things off. Too late now, the traffic is back to normal and it scares me. I can't run. I've tried. I'm clearly so unfit..Thanks for your suggestions! Back to YT x