Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Ovulation sniffles/flu symptoms.  (Read 1810 times)

Lalb1

Ovulation sniffles/flu symptoms.
« on: July 18, 2020, 10:12:37 PM »

So after monitoring my symptoms for a long time now, (about 2 years) I've come to notice that I get the sniffles and a sore sticky throat roundabout the time I'm due to ovulate. I also get flu like symptoms in the week before my period is due.
Now the reason I'm putting this out there..
im on microgygnon purely for symptom relief. Don't need it for contraception.
These last 2 months the strange peri symptoms have increased so I've started the pill as back to back with no week break.
Only started it this month so not even first full month in yet. But what I really want to know is.. with being on the pill apparently I shouldn't have still had any ovulation symptoms each month even with the week break. I've been told that the pill will suppress the symptoms of ovulation as I shouldn't have ovulated while on it. But I know I have done, have had all the lovely ovulation signs and niggles aswell as the usual sniffles.

Apparently there's no way I should have been getting these. 🤷‍♀️

Has anyone else been on the combined pill and still had ovulation symptoms?

Has anyone found that taking it back to back has helped anyhow? I know I need to do it for longer than this 1st month to see if it actually helps.
Feeling confused now.

Alicess

Re: Ovulation sniffles/flu symptoms.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 06:22:22 AM »

Hi Lab1,

From my own experience taking the pill back to back surpressed my cycle much better. Otherwise you will still feel the ups and downs of your own hormones. According to experts it's not necessary to take a break.
It can take up to three months before your cycle is surpressed fully so dont't give up to soon.

I hope you will feel better soon.

Alicess

Lalb1

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 07:10:30 AM »

Thankyou Alicess.
I know I've always felt pms and ovulation symptoms while on the pill with the week break. I've been told tho that it can't be possible I was feeling that. 😑

Fingers crossed over the next couple of months it helps suppress some more of the symptoms.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 07:45:02 AM »

Hi Lalb

If you had a week break on the combined pill this means your oestrogen levels will have fallen and also your progestogen. This mimics what happens after ovulation and just before the natural period and gives rise to the pms symptoms. Progesterone withdrawal is a well-known phenomenon giving rise to headaches, tension, irritiability etc. Decrease in oestrogen can cause low mood etc. So not ovulation as such but the same effects. If you had ovulated while on the pill then it would not have worked as a contraceptive although you say you don't need contraception? Taking back to back as you say, will keep your hormone levels stable.

The hormonal fluctuations will affect each woman differently so maybe the reduction is oestrogen and/or progesterone during that pill-free week is causing your sniffles and sore throat?

I hope your symptoms resolve once your levels are more stable.

Hurdity x