Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Spotting and tampons?  (Read 953 times)

Blue Kingfisher

Spotting and tampons?
« on: July 15, 2020, 08:27:43 AM »

Hi all,

Silly question but I’m having some bleeding (Kyleena coil fitted 5 weeks ago). I’m not worried about the bleeding at this stage as they say it can take 6 months for this to settle down. I’m not bleeding loads but a panty liner isn’t quite enough sometimes so I’m been wearing sanitary towel. Not awfully keen on those due to the bulky feeling and to keep feeling clean and fresh it means I’m going to get through a lot of them. Not very environmentally friendly!

I’ve taken to a bit of a DIY approach with the sanitary towel (in case I need the absorbency) but layering it with some folded up loo roll so I can change that every time instead.

It’s occurred to me if I would be better off using a tampon?....Do any other ladies use tampons for this purpose and is there a ‘light flow’ one with an applicator that anyone would recommend? I can only find the ‘normal flow’. A normal flow one would potentially last me all day but I think you aren’t supposed to leave them up there all day? I did use tampons all the time when I was on withdrawal bleeds and before that with periods.....so I’m guessing I’d be fine to do this. I always used normal flow but can’t seem to find any light flow ones....perhaps they’ve streamlined/economised (bit like when M&S changed their knicker sizing for anyone that remembers that little gem!) and don’t offer ‘light flow’ tampons anymore....

Is it also OK to use tampons when you have a coil fitted? I presume so but would feel reassured by others!  :-\

Blue
xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Spotting and tampons?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 10:36:43 AM »

Morning.  I could never use tampons as my vagina isn't long enough  ::).  Apparently.

Maybe search google for different types - designs will have changed a lot since my day  ;).  I tried the kitchen roll in the towel idea but found it moved when I walked  :o.  There are environmentally designed towels on the market .........

I don't know about the Mirena issue.  Also the idea of changing them regularly is so that they aren't forgotten up there, which can cause toxic shock syndrome.

Dotty

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 11:37:20 AM »

Hi Lil-lets do a light flow, but it doesn't have an applicator.  they do a regular one with an applicator.

Tampax do a lite flow with an applicator x

Blue Kingfisher

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 02:52:01 PM »

Thanks both, just found the Tampax ones! I couldn’t find any before so it helped know what brand to search for. I did some searching around the internet and it looks like it’s fine to use tampons with a coil so I’ll give them a go!

Thanks again xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 05:12:33 PM »

Hey - nowt is a silly question either  :peace: - nothing is taboo.  We're all girls here  :great:

dahliagirl

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 05:59:09 PM »

I have used tampons for light flow when I am fed up - just once in a day - they are a problem with dryness so moisturiser needed afterwards.

Blue Kingfisher

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 06:16:45 PM »

Thanks dahlia girl, I did wonder about dryness......what sort of thing are we supposed to use for a moisturiser? Does anyone know?

dahliagirl

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 08:47:59 PM »

I tend to use MultiGyn Actigel, which is a pH balancer for BV/thrush, mainly because I had problems with symptoms of these until I started on local oestrogen, and I find it suits me.  It stings a bit to start if you are sore.  I use some on the end of the tampon too.

Actual moisturisers are Yes VM, Olive and Bee and there is a Kiwi fruit one called Sylk which is also sold as lubricant. Most of these are online although my local chemist sell sylk.  There are other moisturisers around at chemists etc but they often contain substances that help the moisture into the tissues, and these can cause further irritation if you have VA symptoms.

Have a look at threads here about Vaginal atrophy/ Genito-urinary symptoms of Menopause, especially MaryJane's.  She is quite an expert.  There was a good thread called The Burning Thread which went on for quite a while.

Blue Kingfisher

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2020, 06:30:38 AM »

Thanks Dahliagirl, that’s really helpful and I will take a look! x

Jmarcsik

• First Flush
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2020, 05:09:26 PM »

I have bought some reusable washable towels from amazon they are made with bamboo fibres and are very comfortable and very absorbent, They have a press stud clip to secure And a sort of fleece like lining but is made of bamboo. If your out and need to change you just fold them and se ire with the pressstud, mine also came with  a storage bag, I  have ones for lighter flow and thicker  ones for heavier, no leakage issues either. You do have to rinse them before washing tho And don’t use fabric conditioner in the wash,  a little bulky but I think much healthier than plastic ones, they saved me lots of money and the environment.   

jaz29

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2020, 02:46:04 PM »

Hi , I am spotting at the moment, having gone, 362 days without,now I don't need to wear anything at the moment,but it's brewing I think, my question is have i got to start counting again, fed up if I do. Thanks in advance.xx