Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Will HRT help stabilise my blood sugar?  (Read 2225 times)

Kathleen

Re: Will HRT help stabilise my blood sugar?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2020, 03:51:00 PM »

Hello again ladies.

I also agree with Shadyglade about B12. As I don't eat any animal products I take a supplement but if your vegetarian diet includes dairy as well as fish your levels may be okay, can't hurt to have them checked out though.

Take care.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2020, 06:10:04 PM »

If you find that occasional meat helps how you feel, then listen to your body?  After all, nothing has to be forever.  Meat in the UK is produced ethically so going to a family butcher with traceability is important for me.  I don't quite want to know the name of the beast but it's useful to learn that it has been raised locally.

Hurdity

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2020, 08:23:46 AM »

Thanks Perinowpost, it’s good to know it’s helping you!

Hurdity, I do avoid processed sugars and never have fizzy drinks. I’ve tried low carb and it makes me worse. I really hit a low point when the doctor put me on antidepressants. This was when it really started for me. Now I’m off them but it hasn’t improved.  This is what I ate yesterday to give you an idea:

8am porridge with a small amount or raw honey and almond butter
10am four oatcakes with almond butter
12pm bean salad, tuna, avocado
2pm an apple with cottage cheese and a few nuts
4pm a banana
5:30pm brown rice, green veg, tofu
7pm strawberries
8:30pm small bowl of porridge as at breakfast

I eat when I feel the my blood sugar start to drop which seems to be every couple of hours. I’m putting loads of weight on despite always having been a steady 10 stone in the past!

Thanks so much for your tips/ support!

Doc checked thyroid and blood sugar and both in the normal range
Iron levels on the low side so I’ve started supplementing.

Hi Shelster

Your diet does look really healthy but I agree with the others that your carbs maybe too high and you need more protein. No need to go low carb as such but just replace some of the carbs with protein. Not sure about powder? I would prefer to eat real foods that fill you up. Unless you are doing intense weight training you shouldn't need protein powders.

Breakfast - I have fruit first eg grapefruit or an orange. Followed by either muesli or porridge with banana or other fruit (rasps, strawbs  or bluebs) and sometimes crushed sunflower seeds etc. No added sugar. Then I have  a boiled egg ( no toast). If I'm having lots of exercise I sometimes have a handful of nuts and raisins and a piece of fruit late morning. You need to eat enough in quantity so you don't get hungry so quickly so maybe your portion sizes are too small. Always fill up with extra fruit ( even though it contains sugar) - eg apples pears oranges etc or natural yogurt. You can get high protein low fat ones like Skyr which is brilliant! I probably wouldn't eat the porridge in the eve unless you're really active and replace that with something like fruit and Skyr or similar, or cott cheese or something?

Are you very active so that you are needing larger quantities of food?

Personally if you are eating healthy szied portions, and are only moderately active, and still getting low blood sugar symptoms I would press for a more detailed metabolic investigation. When your blood sugar levels wree msesured, was it a fasting morning test or the HBa1c test which measure blood sugar over 3 months? I think neither of these tests would necessarily pick up excessive fluctuations? I'm really no expert but I would yes invest in a BS monitor and measure fasting BS, before meals, 2 hrs after meals and when you get the shaky feelings etc . When I measured mine it is usually just over 4 which is not in the diabetic hypo range but still with the same symptoms. Mind you as it doesn't occur all the time I haven't pursued any further investigation but just manage it with diet but I'm also putting on weight, but thyroid is normal....

I don't have a solution except for diet but just thought I'd share my experience of what sounds like similar phenomenon.

Hurdity x

Shelster

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2020, 08:36:35 AM »

Thanks Hurdity, that’s so helpful. And the other ladies too, thanks for your replies. x
Pages: 1 [2]