Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: One stop gynae appt update and lining of 5mm  (Read 1628 times)

shrosphirelass

One stop gynae appt update and lining of 5mm
« on: July 15, 2020, 10:36:15 AM »

Ive just returned from my oncology gynae appt. The scan showed a fibroid, which there were no concerns with and the ovaries looked fine. The lining was 5mm so the consultant said I had to have a biopsy as protocol says anything over 4mm needs this. I explained I would not be able to do this without something to relax me / sedation and they flatly refused and said you either do it or don't. So I came home. I negotiated that they would refer me to gynae outpatient dept and I could in the meantime go to the dr and ask him to prescribe diazapan to use for the appt. If I can't manage that, I will be refered for another scan in a few months time.

So I know I should have had the biopsy, but I just could not and I feel really bad about it and will get a lot of grief from all my family and friends who are concerned about me.

Can anyone tell me if 5mm is significant? The impression I got was that it was just above the cut off point. My previous scan in January was 4mm.

I suppose at least its good news that there weren't any other concerns.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: One stop gynae appt update and lining of 5mm
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 10:39:36 AM »

Well done for putting foot down with firm hand. 

I too would have returned home.  My question would have been 'If I were paying for this examination?' as I suspect that if one went private, sedation would have been offered routinely.

If you use diazepam you will need someone to drive you there/back ;-).  If they weren't overall worried I would get on with life.  Don't feel bad and why share with family?  Tell them 'all is well thus far' and close the subject.  Do you tell them every time you fart or change your socks?  When you eat your breakfast - sometimes families expect to know Far Too Much - it took me years not to overshare with Mother  >:( who actually, wasn't interested, other than to be negative.

HERE is the place where you will not be judged ;-).   

PMDD

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 01:04:19 PM »

I was told that ideally it is 4mm in the menopause, but if you are on HRT anything up to 8mm 'could' be considered normal. My gynae consultant only refers at 'above 5'......so I wouldn't be concerned personally.

I am on treatment currently for hyperplasia at 13mm, he feels that was caused by me not absorbing progesterone through the patch route, so im now on utro 100mg, with a plan to be rescanned in 8 weeks, with a hysteroscopy mentioned only if after treatment my lining has not regressed.

Hope this helps xx

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 02:11:46 PM »

:thankyou:

Margery-Daw

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 02:43:36 PM »

Do you tell them every time you fart or change your socks? 

That really made me laugh!  ;D

Shropshirelass - as CLKD said, just don't tell them.  The last thing you need is for them to be cross with you.

x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 05:14:39 PM »

:lol:  we are Big Girls now and should stop looking for approval and support, families often are not the best people to share with!

I told my Mum a few years ago, "You may be my Mum but that doesn't give you Rights!"

dahliagirl

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 05:57:16 PM »

:foryou:

Sounds like a routine just in case - good for you for standing your ground.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2020, 10:33:57 AM »

Thanks all, I spoke to my dr who wants me to have the biopsy as he says Ill feel anxious until I do. He has prescribed diazapan for me to see how it affects me with a view to using it before the proceedure. I took it 20 years ago once for my first long haul flight and it had minimal effect on me. I don't think I'm going to have it dome at this point and hopefully have another scan in a few months and if things have worsened then try and do it.

5mm is only just above the threshold and since the bleeding has stopped (for now at any rate) I am trying not to worry.

I can not get over how little empathy the consultant had. It was a stressful situation and a little kindness goes a long way.

dahliagirl

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2020, 12:16:43 PM »

Sounds sensible to me.  8)

Kathleen

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2020, 04:46:36 PM »

Hello Shropshirelass.

I think you were brave to stand up to the consultant and refuse the procedure.   I'm sure giving women little time to think for themselves ensures a smooth running department but that is not your problem and they should offer a better standard of  care if they want full compliance.

I also like your idea of waiting to see what the next scan shows as 5mm is only just over their rather arbitrary limit. You have also arranged for some medication should you need it and the hospital are now aware that you will require some help to calm down. Incidentally it's not just about anxiety and let's face it who wouldn't be anxious about this procedure, but we all have different pain thresholds as well. Some women find a hysteroscopy mildly uncomfortable but I did not and I would want some sedation if there is ever a next time.

Perhaps tell your friends and family that they couldn't do the hysteroscopy this time so you will have another scan instead. A little white lie won't hurt and you don't need to feel bad about any of the decisions you've made.

Wishing you well.

K.

Sparkler

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2020, 06:49:36 PM »

Hi there

I was referred after a scan revealed a lining of 6.9 mm. I had the biopsy and the gynae was happy with everything she saw. She said that it was right to have checked, but that 6.9 is fine for peri. and while I am on HRT. It was in fact quite reassuring to know she had had a proper look and that the biopsy was clear. Now only need to go back if my silly bleeding pattern changes for the worse.

Good luck and I hope all is well with you.
X

shrosphirelass

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2020, 07:00:43 PM »

Thanks Kathleen very kind words x Thanks Sparkler, how are you?

Sparkler

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2020, 07:49:59 AM »

Hi there

I hope you are felling ok? I am I think towards the end of peri - the hysteroscopy/biopsy were because I don’t bleed on schedule. I either bleed lightly 2/3 of the way through the Progestogen phase, or I don’t bleed at all, or I have a mammoth bleed a week after stopping the progestogen. The doc now says as long as it stays similar I am fine to stay on my current HRT ( been on this 16 months) but if the pattern changes away from those bleeding patterns I should change Progestogen or ask to be referred again.

Feel hugely better on HRT. Lately I have had a return of hot flushes- 4 or 5 a day but relatively mild. I ache a bit, have acid reflux and sluggish digestion, have some crying and don’t like noises or smells. Sounds awful but I Just cannot begin to explain how much better all this is! Prior to HRT I could cry for 3 days at a time and the sweats were just awful.

Sparkler
X

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2020, 08:15:36 AM »

Tnx for the update Sparkler.  Do you take pain relief for the aches and pains, usually due to a drop in oestrogen.  Reflux is due to laxity of muscles - I found 'Rennies' or 'Milk of Magnesia' useful. 

shrosphirelass

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2020, 12:30:28 PM »

Glad you're feeling a bit better Sparkler. I use gaviscon regularly not sure if it really helps but makes me feel more in control! What HRT are you on? It sounds like you could do with a bit more estrogen, though I'm no expert.
Pages: [1] 2