Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Progesterone  (Read 683 times)

Smokey

Progesterone
« on: July 11, 2020, 01:05:34 PM »

Hi ladies

I currently have the coil fitted and has been working well no bleeding or problems.

I am due to have it changed or removed or replaced this summer. When I was last at my doctors for something else I mentioned it and was told another form or progesterone would be soon required.

My question is does the progesterone in the coil just suddenly run out ? I've had it in for four years.
I have started having periods again this month thankfully lightly would this be the reason.?
If I ring the doctors I will probably get a video appointment so need to be prepared. They probably won't offer me a replacement coil due to coved 19 but may offer me another progesterone to take orally or vaginally, hopefully they won't say I have to stop hrt.

I wonder what side effects I could encounter from an orally form maybe Northestone,
I have lots of side effects now. Nausea on and of every month  period pains  and a general feeling of being under the weather together with indigestion and aches and pains.  I'm 54 and am on 4 pumps of oestrogel, what complcates matters further is that I also have MS under active thyroid and no gallbladder.

I don't really want to go back to having periods again as they will make me suffer even more.

Any advice welcome.

Smokey (Ann)

Hurdity

Re: Progesterone
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 07:13:33 PM »

Hi Smokey.

No the progestogen in the coil does not suddenly run out, but the amount gradually decresases over the course of its life. It is currently only licensed for 4 years for HRT but that's because trials did not go on much longer. I think it's 5 years for contraception and some docs allow it to stay even longer. However if it stopped bleeding from periods initially and bleeding has restarted it could well be due to the decrease ( but not run out) of progestogen. Your doc should surely allow fitting of another Mirena? After all services are supposed to be getting back to normal. If it suited you otherwise I would press for it if you can?

You should also ask the doctor about your other symptoms too just to be checked out - the indigestion etc. Also your thyroid meds may need tweaking as requirements can vary around menopause though I am no expert on this - others on here are.

Sorry I can't help further but hopefully someone else will be along...

Hurdity x

3isenough

Re: Progesterone
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 09:06:54 PM »

I’ve been offered a Mirena fitting this Friday after a telephone appointment to discuss it