Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Low mood & anxiety  (Read 1056 times)

KarineT

Low mood & anxiety
« on: July 12, 2020, 02:57:36 PM »

Hello,

Low mood and anxiety seem to be common symptoms of the menopause. For any of you who were not on HRT,  if you had them, did they persist well beyond postmenopause?  If you took HRT, did you get relief from them?  And when you stopped, did they come back?

Thanks

Karine

jaypo

Re: Low mood & anxiety
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 03:11:25 PM »

Hi there,I've never been on hrt and about two years ago,anxiety and depression hit me bad,had no clue what was wrong with me tbh, I tried ADs but omg they made me nauseous so stopped them and a few month's down the line it seemed to just lift,this site helped too,I have to admit, I still get the occasional blip but not too badly

KarineT

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 03:30:50 PM »

What stage in the menopause are you at?

jaypo

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 05:09:48 PM »

I'm post now,so it has got better

KarineT

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 05:42:20 PM »

Sorry, I forgot to ask.  when depression and anxiety hit, was it before you reached 12 months without a period?

jaypo

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2020, 06:32:54 PM »

Oh sorry my lovely,I had a hysterectomy many years ago but ovaries left which meant I knew when I'd be due a period as I still got sore boobs etc but that stopped I'd say 3 years ago and it was after that I went downhill,I got health anxiety to start with,then panic attacks and then this awful depression,just didn't know what was wrong with me,some days it was an effort to get out of bed,just awful but the fog starts to lift,slowly but surely. I would say it was about 12 month's after I'd have had a period give or take,it lasted from about June/July to December.
Do you want to try hrt? It really helps some women,have you spoken to your dr?

KarineT

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2020, 07:38:09 PM »

Thanks for your kind reply.  For now I much rather not use HRT if I can help it.  I'm worried that I'll have the withdrawal syndrom when my GP decides he doesn't want to give it to me anymore.  Because at some point, he won"t want to prescribe it. HRT is a last resort if things get worse.  I think I've been peri since 2016 when I missed my first period.  After that my periods became erratic.  But in 2018 I started feeling dizzy and, like you, I thought there was something wrong with me.  I didn't associate the dizziness with the menopause because I still had my periods, even though I had them every other month.  Since July 2019 I've started feeling low and anxious. This happened at a time when my periods started spacing out even more (every 3 months) Then since January this year I haven't had a period  and it looks like I'm heading towards the postmenopause (in another 6 months provided another period doesn't show up during that period of after).  I am currently relying on natural remedies.

jaypo

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2020, 07:58:59 PM »

I never wanted hrt,just not for me but for some women on here,they wouldn't have coped without it but I think as long as you know why it's happening it can help,my life was really the pits for a while but if you keep posting on here you WILL get answers to any query you may have,there are so many symptoms of menopause,gut issues,allergies,dizziness omg the list is endless.
Have you tried the Bach herbal drops,they're good for anxiety or the CBD oil but the high strength one,that's what I took,think it kept me calmer.
Anyway,never feel alone,there will always be someone here for any worries you have,so keep posting x

KarineT

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2020, 08:48:49 PM »

I am currently taking Bach flower drops but not the ones you get in the shops.  They seem to help in the short terms but so far I haven't noticed long term effects because the anxiety and low mood come back.  Perhaps I have to take it for more than 3 months.  I'm halfway through my 3rd month.  I haven't tried CBD oil.  What's the best one?  I understand H&B sells it but it's not the best quality. 

jaypo

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2020, 03:16:58 PM »

Yeah H&B is the weaker strength,it's the 1000mg one,you put the drops on your tongue and hold them there for 10 minutes or so,omg it's disgusting btw  ;D afterwards it feels like you've smoked 40 cigarettes (not that I've done that  :o ) there is a cbd oil thread if you pop it in the search box,obviously it doesn't help everyone but when you're bad,you'll try pretty much anything.

Julia45

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2020, 04:19:56 PM »

Hi there,
I am going through this right now (I just posted). I am peri-menopausal and anxiety is the biggest problem. I've never been a particularly anxious person and have always had loads of energy and love life - so this is totally strange to me.

Because anxiety is the worst symptom my DR suggested a low dose of Sertraline instead of HRT - she said Sertraline was part of HRT therapy. I never thought I would need to take anti-anxiety medication but this is what has been given. I'm scared to take it but need to try and sort this anxious feeling out. I even had to ask my lovely Mum to come and stay with me for the night last night because I was so anxious  - hubby away for the night. My Mum had to look after me and my children! It's insane!

Julia

jaypo

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2020, 05:01:01 PM »

I was given sertraline too,unfortunately after 3 days the nausea started but please don't let that put you off as many women swear by it,give it a try as you can't go on like that

Julia45

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2020, 05:37:00 PM »

They’ve given me a low dose and said I can stop taking them any time and don’t need to be weaned off them if I don’t like them. Yes, they are popular by the sound of it. I hate taking tablets!

jaypo

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2020, 05:49:05 PM »

I'm the same but sometimes if your life is becoming unbearable,it's the only way,try them and see,if they're not for you then just stop or maybe even take half a tablet instead x