Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Helping the homeless  (Read 8715 times)

Sparrow

Re: Helping the homeless
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2020, 09:28:10 AM »

At the moment hardly anyone living on the streets as, due to the virus, they have been found emergency accommodation.

Amazing how this can happen when they are seen as a danger to public health. Government not bothered before.  ::)

Kathleen

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2020, 09:50:29 AM »

Hello again ladies.

I agree Shadyglade, nothing like self interest for getting things done. Likewise Boris and Co are now fans of the NHS after ten years of spending cuts.

Wishing you well.

K.

sheila99

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2020, 10:52:38 AM »

Many were put up on hotels but will be unable to stay there now they are reopening. I'm sure the covid doctors deserve a pay rise but my GPs don't, they've used it as an excuse to do as little as possible.

Ju Ju

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2020, 06:04:52 PM »

My daughter works in a homeless hostel on the bank to supplement her income.  She is a front line worker, but not recognised as such by the general public. Not an easy job and poorly paid. Many of the residents have had such poor life experiences and parenting, they are unable to behave in acceptable ways, particularly when drugs and alcohol are added in the mix. Social distancing? Not a concept taken board by many, but interestingly no covid cases yet. My daughter has my respect. She is kind, but doesn’t take any nonsense. A hotel in a city near was used, but was trashed. There were few staff employed, many since have given their notice in as it was so difficult and they were not supported. Good, caring people not valued and left despairing in the situation.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2020, 07:10:37 PM »

Caring people who could have instilled a sense of caring in their clients had they been supported themselves. 

Ju Ju

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2020, 08:05:22 AM »

The company have all these wonderful aims, with just a footnote on poor staff retainment. Bosses sitting behind desks have no idea how to support staff. How do they think they can achieve all these aims without supporting the very people who will be implementing them? The pay is poor, but most people who do the job do it because they care and would carry on if they were supported in other ways. My daughter was offered a full time position and refused as she has no intention of being treated badly. It has been helpful implementing her income and she can say no. She’s self employed with her main work not happening at the moment.
Pages: 1 2 [3]