Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Maybe menopause...?  (Read 886 times)

KittyBee

Maybe menopause...?
« on: July 10, 2020, 05:30:25 PM »

I checked the last time I posted here and it was just over 3 years ago. I was suffering with anxiety and a variety of symptoms, my GP said blood tests might indicate I was going through 'the change' (yes,he really used that word) and I was expecting my daughter through surrogacy (I have a history of miscarriages and was told by a fertility consultant to expect early menopause).

I went through months of blood tests, an MRI scan, and nerve conduction tests. I argued with my GP to get me tested properly for vitamin, B12, vitamin D and anaemia (B12 was OK, vitamin D low, ferritin and folic acid both just inside lower normal range). As my poor concentration, dodgy balance, unrefreshing sleep and various aches and pains were not going away, I was referred to a rheumatologist who has said I 'might' have fibromyalgia or 'some kind of immune issue, possibly rheumatoid arthritis' (I have stiff, sore hands first thing in the morning). I was prescribed hydroxychloroquine and sent on my way. In my initial consultation, I did ask if the symptoms could be menopause-related, and was told 'probably'. I asked about fatigue and was told it was because I had a young child and to be expected.  :-\

So, here we are - I am now 47, and I can't remember when I last had a period (I know, but I blame the brain fog). I definitely haven't had one this year, it may well be near enough a year since the last one. 

The meds for joint pain haven't done much, I have brain fog, dry skin and now, distressingly, thinning hair.

I don't know if this is 'just' perimenopause, or the menopause, and if there is anything my GP could do?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Maybe menopause...?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 05:46:59 PM »

Rheumatoid arthritis can be shown on blood test when the symptoms are troublesome, joints are very hot .  Badly affected joints are obvious clinically and on X-ray.

The other issues you mention are often due to The Change.  It does what it says on the tin.  Sadly GPs don't have much idea unless you strike lucky!  Despite what we are told on the Forum, many still don't consider menopause unless the lady complains of hot sweats !

You shouldn't have to fight for blood tests, it should be the 1st step when a lady goes to GP with symptoms.  Were you prescribed anything for the low VitD ? 

As oestrogen levels drop so the body may become dry, inside and out: nostrils, deep in the ears, vagina, skin and muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  What were you prescribed for any pain?

:congrats: on getting your daughter. 

Menopause literally means last monthly period.  However, it's not easy to get there so during peri we can suffer lots of different symptoms  :-\ ...... browse round.  Join in!

KittyBee

Re: Maybe menopause...?
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 06:47:28 PM »

Rheumatoid arthritis can be shown on blood test when the symptoms are troublesome, joints are very hot .  Badly affected joints are obvious clinically and on X-ray.
There's no hotness, when the rheumy scanned my hands, she didn't see anything much, there's slight inflammation at best.

You shouldn't have to fight for blood tests, it should be the 1st step when a lady goes to GP with symptoms.  Were you prescribed anything for the low VitD ? 
No, I did take an OTC supplement and am going to start again soon. I have some more blood tests being done shortly so will see what they say.

As oestrogen levels drop so the body may become dry, inside and out: nostrils, deep in the ears, vagina, skin and muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  What were you prescribed for any pain?
Nothing for pain, I was told to take paracetamol or ibuprofen as needed.

:congrats: on getting your daughter. 
Thank you!  :)

Menopause literally means last monthly period.  However, it's not easy to get there so during peri we can suffer lots of different symptoms  :-\ ...... browse round.  Join in!
Will do - thanks for the reply!