Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: One stop gynae oncology appointment  (Read 896 times)

shrosphirelass

One stop gynae oncology appointment
« on: July 11, 2020, 12:19:39 PM »

So I received my appt following my bleeding issues and subsequent anemia. It consists of pre med (ibprofen and some other analgestic) then a abdominal and transvaginal scan followed by camera and biopsy (hysteroscopy). I rang to ask if there was an option of sedation (diazapan) and they said no. The only possibility is sedation on another occasion (eg general anaesthetic). I think it is really good that it is joined with the proceedures on the same day, but there's no way I'll be able to manage the hysteroscopy without something to relax me, so I wont be having it done. Apparently the dr talks you through the scans before making decisions about further proceedures so at least I should find out whether there is a potential problem, or hopefully not.

My appt is at 8.40 and Ive got to drink 2 / 3 pints of water 2 hours before so its going to be a really early start!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 02:11:51 PM by shrosphirelass »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: One stop gynae oncology appointment
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2020, 12:29:41 PM »

Remember that this is your body and your decision.  Don't feel rushed into anything.  Take a note of your queries and get answers that you understand as you go along.

No care giver has the 'right' to cause pain to a patient!  The NHS is 'open for business' but it's practitioners need to begin to listen!

Wrensong

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2020, 12:31:42 PM »

Hopefully, as you say, the scan won't show anything warranting hysteroscopy, but if it does at least you know there is the option of going back for a separate appt later with sedation.  I'm glad you rang to ask beforehand, that way you won't be faced with a potentially panic-inducing decision on the spot.

Yes, the bladder filling with huge volumes of water  ::) before scanning is a delight!!  Good luck with that!

How soon is your scan?

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2020, 01:27:45 PM »

Hello Shropshirelass.

My appointment was organised in the same way.  I was pleased that the hysteroscopy could be done straight away if necessary but sedation was not on offer.  After my scan when a need for a hysteroscopy was identified I was sent to another waiting room and it was there that I noticed other women taking pain relief tablets.

Could you ask your GP to prescribe diazepam tablets for you to use on the day? I have often told the story of the woman who drank from a hip flask of rum during the examination and apparently didn't feel a thing!

Take care.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2020, 04:11:21 PM »

Why are ladies still accepting such C**p from Consultants. !?!?!  whose body is it  ..........   I would suggest to him that if he were to be offered a benson burner on his penis would he not consider some form of pain relief?  I wouldn't expect dental treatment without! nor anywhere else on my body  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2020, 07:31:52 PM »

'endurance test' - love it  :medal:

Wrensong

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2020, 10:58:13 AM »

Franny B - agreed, a case of the squeaky wheel gets the grease.  And no, it shouldn't have to be that way.