Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: supraphysiological estradiol  (Read 1015 times)

Shannonplussed

supraphysiological estradiol
« on: July 07, 2020, 02:09:19 PM »

Background:  I'm in Canada with early menopause at 42 confirmed by 3 high FSH tests spaced over months and extensive other tests to see why my periods stopped. Gained 50 pounds in short order before being diagnosed. Just turned 44 today! Been on HRT estrogel and Prometrium (same as Utro) for just over a year. Played with both cyclical and continuous (can't handle progesterone withdrawal). Sticking with continuous. Been on Androgel 1% since January for absent libido--not really helping but energy level is great. Getting a Mirena in the fall.

In the spring, I had days where I felt GOOD. Like my old self. Like something previously missing was finally in place. I was taking 3 pumps estrogel then. But back came night sweats back and lost a little bit of weight. Seems like I had a burst of my own hormones and then they dropped and things felt like they were changing. I added another pump estrogel, up to 4 because of the sweats. My GP and my OB-GYN were not in favour of this, but this forum said I'm young and need more and they don't know what they are talking about. My boobs got sore, I had a bleed (not surprising because I had increased to 4 pumps) and I dropped back down to 3. OB-GYN reluctantly gave her blessing to 3 pumps (she said because that's the equivalent of birth control pill) but wanted an estradiol test when COVID settled down. In the meantime, I've been on 3 pumps. No night sweats. Tried dropping to 2 and became withdrawn and emotionally explosive at work (to put it politely). Back to 3 pumps. Feeling vaginal dryness and still absent libido despite 5 months testosterone--thinking maybe it's converting to estrogen if that's not optimized yet. Back to 4 pumps but split 2 in morning, 2 at bedtime. That's brings us to today.

Got blood work done yesterday, and the results mean I'm sure to get a chastising phone call from the OB-GYN
-estradiol 3126 pmol/L  (test repeated and confirmed)

reference range:
follicular 77-921 pmol/L
mid-cycle 139-2382 pmol/L
luteal 77-1145 pmol/L
post-menopausal <103 pmol/L

Obviously the 4 pumps is going to stop. I realize it's a single snapshot and not reliable yadda yadda yadda but the OB-GYN is very much going to use this as a guide. I think I should look at local treatment for mild vaginal dryness. I see reference to Vagifem and Ovestin, is that available in Canada? I don't have major VA problems but if there's still an inkling of it at this level of estradiol, I might as well figure out local treament.

Could anyone share their experience with supraphysioloicgal estradiol levels? Is this perhaps a case of too much bogs the receptors and too much is worse than too little? My pain is gone, which is great. That has been my primary guide for increasing dosage. Energy is great. Skin, etc all good. Sleeping well. Mentally could be a tad sharper (sometimes I feel downright stupid). Sex life and response is NOT what I would like.

Shannonplussed

Re: supraphysiological estradiol
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 03:45:09 PM »

I wonder how to fix this. Until the OB-GYN calls, should I stop Estrogel all together? Reduce? Double up the progesterone? Stop the progesterone and have bleed? Do nothing and wait?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 04:25:50 PM »

I've not had HRT but medics really do need to learn that a lady knows her body better than anyone and because it's 'written' there isn't one size that fits all.

Do you keep a mood/food/symptom diary to chart progress? 

Do you pay for your treatment so that your health provider may have a vested interest in products ?

As for VA treatment - have you read our threads here? 

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 04:27:35 PM »

I did a google for both VA products + Canada and several sites came up, seems it is available over there. 

Shannonplussed

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 05:02:45 PM »

I pay for health care through taxes, we don't have a private system here. Basically like the UK's NHS only we don't even have the option of private clinics. Some do go through a naturopath (obvious vested interest in selling supplements etc) but I just can't get my head around trusting a so-called system of medicine that actually teaches homeopathy. I'm sure there is VA treatment here I just wasn't sure product names.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 05:33:47 PM »

Hi!  maybe look at your local health authority regarding vaginal atrophy treatments or ask your local Pharmacist?

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 09:11:12 PM »

Hi shannonplussed.  I am Canadian.  Vagifem is in Canada, Ovestin is not.  Estroil in any cream is not available in either Canada or U.S. however there is a great product called Estragyn which is ESTRONE.  A recent product introduced in 2014 I believe.  Made out of Montreal
I use both Vagifem and Estragyn.  Only other product is premarin but it is inhumane as it is pregnant mare's urine and the horses are treated brutally.

Shannonplussed

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 02:12:52 AM »

Perfect, I'll ask about Vagifem at my next appointment.

In the meantime, I don't know what to do. I feel like I need a complete reset, but I know that's going to give me some bad mental health for a while.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 08:12:51 AM »

Morning from the UK Midlands to the Canadian ladies

Have you tried yoga?  It can be totally relaxing and there will be guide lines on U-Tube etc..  Relaxation tapes can help in the night if 1 can't sleep.  Swimming? 

If you are tired have you tried a pain relief tablet?  If I can't sleep or if my restless legs are bothersome at night, I take 'nurofen' and it is soothing. 

How is your diet overall?  Eating little and often can help lift weariness. 

Shannonplussed

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2020, 01:23:11 PM »

CKLD you must have meant this response for another post. You've already replied three times and sleep is not an issue for me at all.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2020, 02:12:56 PM »

Whoops - I read that as 'rest' rather than 'reset' - senior moment  ::)