Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Well, started HRT today (two week update)  (Read 1275 times)

Souris

Well, started HRT today (two week update)
« on: June 14, 2020, 06:15:43 PM »

Estradiol transdermal patch twice a week (0.05 mg/day) and progesterone micro pill 100mg daily. I'm nervous about it -- primarily all the talk on the insert paper about strokes and blood clots -- but I hope it will help with my extreme muscle/bone pain and hot flashes. My gynecologist and I talked it over via video visit and we decided to give it a try for a little while. I hope it doesn't bring back my migraines; they have pretty much disappeared since I stopped birth control pills in October.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 03:42:50 PM by Souris »

Foxylady

Re: Well, started HRT today
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 06:21:50 PM »

I think quality of life is so important and if you are suffering and are happy with the discussion you had with gynaecologist re risks etc then it might be the answer to your prayers! Hope it works out well for you, even if you get some migraines to start with don't be disheartened they hopefully will go. I think for most of us it is a scary thing thinking about starting HRT but you have to educate yourself and look at the evidence from genuine research rather than headline grabbing stories with little/no basis. x

Kay21

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 09:34:34 PM »

Pls can you keep us updated how you go with it. I'm about to embark I think. I'm scared too. But I know I can't go on feeling like I'm feeling now.

Souris

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 01:12:18 AM »

It's been a week since I started. Put on my third patch today.

The first two days, I felt quite a bit perkier and more energetic. I didn't notice my muscle pain. Even felt like exercising! The second day, I felt headachey, so I was concerned, but it went away after I took some over-the-counter painkillers, and it didn't return. Overall, I was really pleased and felt like it was having a beneficial affect.

But then I went back to feeling like I had before I started taking HRT. Still with the muscle pain, stiffness and hot flashes. I don't know if those two initial days were a placebo effect or what. I haven't noticed any bad effects so far, besides that brief headachey-ness --knock on wood.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 07:10:51 AM »

If you're still get flushes then give it a bit longer. If after say 3 weeks you notice no difference with the patches then you probably need a higher dose as transdermal HRT normally works quite quickly on flushes and sweats - being usually the first to go. Also if you are taking progesterone every day then some of your symptoms could be down to this ie progestogenic side effects such as fatigue/tiredness or headaches etc. That's why some of us continue with a cycle even post-menopause. Give it a while longer though before deciding to change method or dose. It's early days!

Muscle aches etc can have other causes so a full blood test before starting HRT (or after) can be good to rule out other causes and deficiencies eg thyroid or vit/mineral deficiencies?

I hope you feel better soon :)

Hurdity x

TwoCakes

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 07:18:44 PM »

Hi Souris,

I used transdermal patches when starting HRT. I had very bad hot flushes, very frequent and back soaked with sweat each time. The hot flushes were gone 1-2 weeks after starting the patches. I hope you experience relief soon.

TwoCakes x

Souris

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2020, 01:26:56 AM »

It's been two weeks now.

Good:
I do feel like my hot flashes have reduced. They had already gotten significantly less frequent than the first few months after stopping birth control pills -- they were waking me up a couple of times a night then. So there was less room to improve, but I have noticed them less.

I'm single, so vaginal dryness isn't an issue that was affecting my life. However, I know that is a problem for many, and I can tell a significant difference after starting the HRT.

My acne has gotten better.

Neutral:
I don't feel markedly different either way.

Bad:
I've gained 5 pounds in the two weeks! If that keeps up at the same rate, I will likely go off HRT. I had managed to lose 20 pounds since stopping birth control pills, between a flare of my colitis and severe anxiety that kept my stomach in knots. Then I'd kept it steady for two months. I'm still overweight, and I don't want to gain back too much of what I lost.

I've noticed very little improvement in my muscle pain and stiffness, which was the main reason I went on HRT. (I have had MANY blood tests since January to try to suss out a cause, and nothing has turned up.)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 01:57:34 AM by Souris »

Julia Dizzy

Re: Well, started HRT today (two week update)
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2020, 04:14:51 PM »

Hi Twocakes, which patches have you been using? I would like to go back on HRT after a two month break. I was on gel and utrogestan daily for 8 months and didn't seem to work well for me so decided to have a break. Hot flushes returning again now.
I'm nearly 64 now 10 years post meno. I guess oral HRT is a no no for me?
Thanks

Kathleen

Re: Well, started HRT today (two week update)
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2020, 04:35:10 PM »

Hello Souris.

Thank you for the update.

You say you have had many blood tests looking for a reason for your muscle problems. I assume that your Ulcerative Colitis has been ruled out as a cause? I know some sufferers experience inflammation in other parts of the body even when their main disease is under control. Also could weight gain or muscle pain be side effects of UC  meds? I realise that these are common meno symptoms but it is worth ruling out other causes as well.

I expect you have already considered the above but I thought I'd mention it all just the same.

Wishing you well.

K.