Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Fat belly!!  (Read 1750 times)

jennyb

Fat belly!!
« on: July 02, 2020, 09:07:54 PM »

Hi ladies

When I was younger, I could eat whatever I wanted and never put weight on. My stomach was completely flat and my waist was tiny.
For the last few years, I have gradually put weight on everywhere, but the last few months, my stomach has become HUGE (in my opinion anyway). I have a disgusting roll of fat and if I stand normally, I look about 6 months pregnant!

I feel disgusting, and disgusted with myself for letting this happen - although I'm not sure how it has happened. I have not worked since the start of COVID, so my activity has decreased slightly, but not enough to make much of a difference.

I am 53, post menopausal and eat a gluten free diet.

I am wondering if any of the medication I am on could be causing the weight gain - Lansoprazole, Hydroxychloroquine (stopped this a couple of weeks ago). Also started Kliovance a month ago.

Or is this all caused by the menopause? Anyone else having this problem?

jennyb

Re: Fat belly!!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 11:39:03 AM »

Thanks for your replies.

I know that I just need to accept that my body has changed, but it's hard  :(

Donnadoobie

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 06:13:00 PM »

belly fat is caused by insulin resistance, you do not have to be diabetic or pre diabetic to be insulin resistant but are more at risk.

cut out the white carbs, and try to eat meals without the additional carb intake.

good carbs to eat are vegetable base ( not potatoes) beans and berries.

I have been low carb since 2015, got boarder line diabetes  down to normal/pre diabetes levels and lost the belly!  You can be strict or just limit the amount, it is up to you. 

jaypo

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 06:18:06 PM »

Hi jenny,unfortunately par for the course,I'm fairly slim but now have this gut,kind hangs there these days, I absolutely hate it,wish I could get a tummy tuck tbh  :'(

Sparkler

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 06:39:24 AM »

Ah the belly! I have always been fairly curvy, but in proportion and was generally strong and fit looking. Now, thanks to hormones, it is all st the front and I am totally different shape. Elasticated waists, baggy tops, larger sizes. It is awful. We have to hope that once we?re through it?ll settle a bit? it's impossible to feel attractive Of comfortable in my own skin.

You are not alone!
S

Sammiejane

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 09:14:16 AM »

hi ladies

i?m not a hundred percent convinced it's all menopause i had surgical menopause at 35 and didn't have hrt for 4 yrs i lost a stone and half and abs forming i looked great no exercise or dieting other then gluten free start hrt and this has caused a distribution of fat belly face and arms as this is where i apply the gel and the higher dose i have of estrogen the more bloated i become and my boobs are huge i think it plays a part in your genes too as not every menopausal women is bigger

jaypo

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 10:16:43 AM »

I wouldn't say I was any bigger,like I say,fairly slim tbh but the belly does annoy me sooooooo much,when at one time I could wear tight fitting dresses?well now it's me and my Spanx left alone in a room for 20 minutes til I get the flippin things on  ;D
Hark at you sammie with the boobs  ;D ;D not jealous at all

Sammiejane

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 09:29:56 AM »

jaypo

it's funny cause when i was in my prime 20s i always wanted a boob job but since this and my boobs kept growing i hate then there heavy uncomfortable and my belly bloat was the worst plus hrt caused hair loss i've since dropped my E and P to 2 pumps gel and P every other day as it's not needed for me with hysterectomy but i can't tolerate unopposed estrogen well the gel anyway but now i?m noticing the days of no P i feel worse then the days with P bloating and boobs aren't as bad and hairloss is worse on days without P so i?m wondering if it's causing to much fluctuation now only been a week but then increasing the gel and P i was bloated constantly heavy boobs sweating dripping water from armpits and groin was more sweaty which it still is without P and of course the aniexty again worse without P i believe the hrt has also triggered FMPL as i?m receding  and going bold at temples forehead and sides thinning and receding lost hair nape of neck so i?m stuck at what to do maybe this gel just isn't consistent for me a patch would be better or i stop it ? so unsure what to do

jaypo

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2020, 10:12:38 AM »

Sammie,check out the other threads,you really need some proper advice,start another thread even,lots of ladies on here will be able to help,I'm not on any hrt so wouldn't know where to begin but you shouldn't be having to put up with all that xx

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2020, 08:51:59 PM »

Sammie! I'd seriously consider switching to something else.
Sounds like your going through hell.
Sounds like to me somethings not suiting you.
Ring your doctor and talk to her/him. ( I'm assuming there's no appointments yet) or if there is, book in and tell them everything.
xx