Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Menopause and IBS  (Read 884 times)

Jackie_w

Menopause and IBS
« on: June 29, 2020, 11:23:23 AM »

Hi there,

I've been on Femestone 2/10 for 4.5 years.  When I went onto this HRT I started to suffer from tummy problems.  I went to the doctor had lots of tests they even sent me to hospital couldn't find anything and I was diagnosed with IBS.  I asked my doctor if it was the HRT as th4 symptoms seemed to coincide with me starting it but the doctor said unlikely.

I have been back and forth to the doctor for my IBS and nothing seems to work, there is no rhyme or reason for what flares up my symptoms. Once say I can eat something and be fine, a couple of weeks later I can eat that same thing and I'm rushing to the toilet and have terrible tummy pains.  My sister was also put on Femestone 2/10mand she started to have tummy problems too.

I just can't live like this anymore.  I'm scared to go out the house incase I need to rush to the toilet urgently.  I have tried loads of different medication nothing works not even Imodium.

Has anyone suffered this then asked for HRT to be changed and it worked.  My sister has been to see her doctor as she was suffering migraines and the doctor has put her on a patch although it's too soon to tell whether that has made a difference or not.  I have asked my doctor to change my HRT but the doctor won't listen to me, she says it's nothing to do with the HRT and tells me to take up Yoga.

Can anyone please offer me any advice at all.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Menopause and IBS
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 01:08:28 PM »

Your GP knows nowt  ;D  >:( .......... hormones affect the digestive tract - in my teens I would feel very sick a few days B4 a bleed began, even if a period wasn't due.

In my 20s/30s I would have to dash to the loo 10 mins. B4 a bleed began, even if a period wasn't due. 

When I had symptoms in my mid30s to end of periods, I felt sick; light headed; anxiety levels rose ............ once I went into menopause that all stopped. 

Patches certainly bypass the digestive tract.  C how your sister gets on, is she with a different Surgery?  Then ask for a referral to a menopause clinic - not a gynae as they don't know any more than some GPs seem to ! 

In the meantime, put the product name into the search box on here and see what pops up: make notes ;-)

jaypo

Re: Menopause and IBS
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 02:48:01 PM »

Ha! The good old IBS get out diagnosis,I was diagnosed with it over 25 years ago,not until last year when I did a food intolerance test that I discovered a wheat allergy and a nut  intolerance,since cutting them out of my diet? No more IBS. Try and keep a food diary for a while,say you were intolerant to wheat,just for example,so you have a slice of bread and one day you're fine,the next day,you have a slice of bread and you're in pain but what other wheat products have you had on that day,your gut may tolerate some things in small doses but a build up happens and pain.
Just a theory for you  :)