Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Insomnia whichever way I turn  (Read 1761 times)

Blue Kingfisher

Insomnia whichever way I turn
« on: June 23, 2020, 06:35:43 AM »

Hi ladies, I had a Kyleena fitted 2 weeks ago. I stuck with Oestrogel to start with but that gave me terrible night sweats, I woke up dripping. I found that even applying an Evorel 25 stopped the sweats at night and I was on Oestrogel in the day (to make up my prescribed dose - 4 pumps oestrogel/Evorel 100). I subsequently decided to switch from gel to Evorel 100 entirely. My insomnia has got worse & worse as time goes on whilst on the patches, no night sweats but I do wake up feeling hot.

I'm wondering if I absorb better through the patches and it's oestrogen over dosing that is causing the insomnia and over heating? Is it possible to get this side effect from too high an oestrogen dose?

I could try reducing the patches but worried about making things worse! I wish I didn't have to try and hold down a job whilst going through all this, I'm sure this is unfortunately true for many of us!

CherryC

Re: Insomnia whichever way I turn
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 03:01:13 PM »

I have the same issue - sleep for about an hour and then wake up really hot (not night sweats but very hot and can't cool down). Then lie awake for hours.  I am on 100mg Estradot patch and 100mg Utrogestan nightly (vaginally).  I am questioning if it could be too much oestrogen but I also wonder if it could be the Utrogestan (even though it's meant to have a sedative effect - I am wondering if it has the opposite for me, now I'm taking it vaginally. 
I'm considering trying the Utrogestan in the morning instead to see if that makes any difference.
It could well be too much oestrogen though as you say.  Last time I had blood tests done, my level was around 345, which the consultant was happy with.
Sorry not to be more helpful! Hope you manage to get to the bottom of it x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 03:02:44 PM »

4 pumps seems a lot from what I've read on here  :-\

It's also hotter generally.  Have you tried a fan in the bedroom ........ I find the whirring quite soothing and useful when it's too windy to have all the windows open.

Foxylady

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 05:40:14 PM »

I've started wearing an eye mask, wish I'd thought of it before. It has made a big difference. I keep it on even if i get up to the toilet & get straight back to sleep I was sleeping 10pm until between 12.30 - 3am then tossing & turning rest of the time. Also take twinings sleep tea, de caf tea/coffee and bought a great fan last week (it's really quiet, I'm a light sleeper!). I tried so many different things over the last 3-4 years the biggest improvement was starting HRT Feb/March 2019. I think for most women it is unlikely to be just one thing which makes the difference but a combination. Hope you find an answer for you. x

Blue Kingfisher

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 08:46:41 PM »

Hi ladies and thank you for your replies. it's started since being on Evorel patches so it's a very recent thing but happening every night which is tiresome! I really think it's the patches so I'm going to try reducing to 75 to see if that helps. I'm also having headaches all day so that could be too much oestrogen too.

Cherryc I used to get one or two nights a month with night sweats when I was on Utrogestan and it was normally once I started it.

A quiet fan sounds like a good idea & I wear an eye mask religiously as I'm a light sleeper. Foxylady, would you mind sharing which fan you bought? I'd need a quiet one too!

CLKD, yes I was on a high dose of oestrogel as I absorbed poorly but it could be I'm absorbing it better via the patches, so much so, I need to cut the dose down. I will see how it goes but if it doesn't work out, I might switch back to the gel but with split dosing.

Blue Kingfisher

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 06:30:54 AM »

Quick update, body temp was most definitely lower last night due to reducing patch from 100 to 75. Got more sleep as a result. Feel like a zombie but often do when I awake from sleep after several nights of insomnia. Hopefully will feel more human in a day or so. Will keep you posted but looks like for me the oestrogen was causing the body heat & chronic insomnia but it's early days......Ive been here before when I think I have the answer......and been wrong.....but hopefully this is a positive sign I'm moving in the right direction!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2020, 06:33:08 AM »

Enjoy some sleep if your brain wants it during the day! 2 warm for much else this week ;-)

Do you keep a mood/symptom/food diary, sorry may have asked previously  :-\ but am like a zombie until mid-mornings  :(

CherryC

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2020, 06:47:49 AM »

That's interesting Blue Kingfisher - I may try doing that also and see if I get a similar result. Fingers crossed it continues to work for you! x

Blue Kingfisher

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2020, 04:37:15 PM »

Hi CLKD, yes I keep a diary running on what meds I take, food I eat & symptoms. it's very handy as I can test different things to try and eliminate symptom causes - bit like being a detective isn't it!

My headache is much less today and I'm pretty convinced it's the drop in oestrogen I've got to thank for that. Will see how it goes over the next few days & keep you posted.

Yes Cherryc would be interesting to see if it improves your symptoms also, fingers crossed for you! Let us know how you get on x

Foxylady

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2020, 08:35:54 PM »

Hi Blue Kingfisher, the fan is the Meaco 1056, we bought the pedestal one for the bedroom, it is so impressive we have ordered the desk top one for downstairs. They are on the pricier side, if you order from own website you get a free storage bag for the desk fan ?100. Inlaws & work colleague also impressed & ordered same fan. Good housekeeping award & 'quiet stamp'. Quite attractive looking for a fan, remote control, lots of features but def how quiet it is a huge plus for me (light sleeper). I promise I have no shares in the company!!!
I did exact same keeping diary for all the things you suggested. Hope you get some respite. x

Blue Kingfisher

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2020, 06:32:05 PM »

Thanks Foxylady for the fan info, I will take a look!

Quick update - strong signs at the moment that reducing the ostrogen was the right thing to do. I slept better again last night even though its much hotter outside so that's a sure sign my body temp has gone done. Will keep on 75 for a while & see if I need to reduce further to 50 as I'm still getting a specific type of headache that only started when I changed to the patches.

How long should I give it until I think about trying a lower does I wonder (if symptoms persist)? One week, two?

Foxylady

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2020, 06:34:26 PM »

I would give it at least two weeks let your body adjust and seem if the headaches go, some symptoms can be short lived when you make a change. Glad your sleep bit better. x

CherryC

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2020, 07:31:45 AM »

Morning all - just a quick update that I followed Blue Kingfisher and decided to reduce my patch from 100mg to 75mg to see if it helped with sleep.  It has so far!! It's only been 3 or 4 nights but I have definitely noticed a difference. Slept all night last night and I honestly can't remember the last time that happened.   
I had been waking up several times in the night and lying awake for hours feeling hot and restless. I thought this was either not enough Oestrogen or was the Utrogestan and seems I was wrong.  The 100mg patch was giving me plenty energy during the day but was maybe giving me too much energy during the night and heat surges no matter the temperature in the room, fan on, windows open.
Hope it continues anyway!
I have noticed a slight increase in heart rate but hoping that's just my body re-adjusting to the new oestrogen levels.
Will keep you posted! x