Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Denise Welch Interview on Depression  (Read 1124 times)

Kathleen

Denise Welch Interview on Depression
« on: June 25, 2020, 06:00:29 PM »

Hello ladies

I have just seen an interview with Denise Welch on YouTube. She was talking about her new book and her ongoing  battle with depression.  She says that she had PND after the birth of her son 31 years ago and has suffered on and off ever since.  The interview  was on Loose Women originally and she describes depression as feeling numb and all the colour going out of the world.

As both PND and meno depression are hormonal in origin I wonder if ladies here feel numb etc when they are depressed or is meno depression experienced differently?

I look forward to reading everyone's comments

Wishing you all well.

K.

sheila99

Re: Denise Welch Interview on Depression
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 11:01:34 PM »

Not sure if my experience is relevant as I've only had it mildly. PND gave me a burning desire to get pissed - rarely actually did it because of caring responsibilities. No such desire in meno, I just didn't care about anything, certainly emotionally numb. CLKD this is a new book she's just written.

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 09:30:01 AM »

Hello Sheila99

Thank you for your response. The feeling numb aspect of depression was what struck me when listening to Denise's interview and it's interesting that you had the same experience with meno. I'm sorry I can't remember your story but did you find HRT /ADs helped at all?

Wishing you well.

K.

Sparrow

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 09:54:54 AM »

I have had two experiences with depression.  The first was definitely memo related and the second was triggered by multiple family crisis.

The difference between the two is that the second began with extreme anxiety from which the depression emerged. I took ADs for both but only for six month periods, and they helped me get back to more normal feelings.

I would say that our brains are not geared up to make us happy and that their primary purpose is to keep us alive, hence the 'flight or fight' problem.  Also everyone has their own unique experience of depression so it's very difficult compare and contrast.  I personally have found mindfulness to have been my greatest aid but it does not suit everyone.

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 05:07:05 PM »

Hello again ladies.

Thank you so much for your comments.

Sheila 99 - I have read other reports that talk about feeling numb which matches your experience in meno.

Shadyglade  -  I'm so pleased that your short course of ADs helped you. When a friend of mine had both business and family problems he became very anxious and then depressed. When he sought help from his GP she told him that he had become ill because he had struggled with too much for too long. Perhaps that is what happened to you as a result of your family crisis?

Certainly we all experience depression differently but it can only help to share our experiences.

Take care ladies.

K.