Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Zoladex  (Read 2123 times)

Grkat17

• First Flush
Zoladex
« on: July 09, 2020, 09:32:59 AM »

I am 45 and have been diagnosed with PMDD.  When on progesterone only pill and Mirena coil I had severe anxiety and depression.  I was then put on the combined pill and this cured me for 2 and half years.  I had to come off it last year because of a DVT.  I have tried estrogen patches but now I need to add in progesterone as I still have a womb.  I was going to have a hysterectomy but then Covid stopped that.  I am due to have the zoladex injection today and not sure whether too or not.  Does anyone have any experience of this?  I have heard very mixed opinions.  Thank you K

sprocket

• Shoot from the hip!
Re: Zoladex
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 02:42:57 PM »

Hi,
I had Zoladex just after my breast cancer treatment. It completely stopped my periods but it gave me terribly sore joints to the point where I felt old before my time. I could barely walk down stairs in the morning. BUT everyone is different and one experience can be completely different to another.

Sprocket

Grkat17

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 03:33:30 PM »

Thank you.  What about your moods? 

sprocket

• Shoot from the hip!
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 08:32:45 PM »

I think the effect on my joints made me feel a bit low, but not the drug itself.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 11:28:06 PM »

If you put Zoladex in the search box - top of the page in the blue bar - it will bring up any posts which have mentioned Zoladex. It might be helpful.

Taz x  :)

PMDD

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 08:33:55 PM »

Hi there,

I too have PMDD.....and i have been on Prostap injections (same family as Zoladex) for nearly 10 years now. It has it's pro's and con's but quite simply I couldn't manage without it, as my symptoms were becoming more extreme each month.

For years I had the prostap with no add-back hormones, and nor did i feel i needed them, but since I hit 41 (the age of my mums menopause), my body is now craving hormones, so I am now using (and tolerating) progesterone plus oestrogen for the first time in years!

I actually cant even explain what is happening anymore, i'm just winging it!  :-\

Grkat17

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2020, 06:59:56 AM »

Ahh thank you.  I have had the injection (day 3 today) so wish me luck.  I was really worried about adding progesterone back in but you've tolerated it so hopefully I will.  I'm 45 so will probably need hrt - which I'm fine with - except it always makes me put on weight and have water retention but that has got to be better than wanting to jump off a bridge or keep driving until I hit a brick wall!  I am feeling positive and trying to be optimistic that this is going to work.  If it does I am set to have a hysterectomy!!!!

PMDD

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2020, 08:53:47 PM »

I too am 3 days after my last injection, and every month I get a cracking headache, so that's today.....i wanted to tell you, so if it happens you know it's normal, and will wear off soon. Some months I get 'exhausted' tired for a couple of days, some months it doesn't seem to bother me so much.

I use the progesterone vaginally, as my consultant said that it will localise the effect on where it is needed, and also reduce the side effects a bit, and this time instead of having me suicidal, I feel it keeps me calmer, and I actually feel it wearing off towards the evening, and want to get the next dose in  ;D

I am struggling more with getting the oestrogen dose right, as my needs seem to fluctuate over the month.....or maybe it's in my head. Palpitations and tinnitus 'insanely itchy' ears seem to be my low oestrogen symptoms.....or maybe they could be high symptoms.

I'm no expert in the menopause (and even though my career is in Pharmacy, I still cant work this all out), but I keep trying!

How has today been?

Lisa x