Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Stomach issues  (Read 1599 times)

Molly48

Stomach issues
« on: July 17, 2020, 02:15:11 PM »

Hi there

I am hoping for some advice I am 48 and periods every 22 days lasting only 3 days now . I have started about 10 weeks ago having awful stomach problems burping acid reflux food takes ages to digest empty hollow feeling at top of stomach and a pain sometimes in same area and gurgling all over lots of saliva in mouth too ibs symptoms never feel like I've fully cleared my bowel go most days though. It all started when I was going through a really really bad time with anxiety and I wasn't eating much and taking diazipam every day that the Doctor prescribed. I have stopped taking the meds now only take as I need them as Dr said diazapam can cause stomach issues . I'm not so sure . Ive had a abdominal ultrasound and abdominal ct scan all clear except swollen adrenal gland and fibroid all checked nothing to worry about . Also had a ca125 blood test all normal.

My anxiety is so bad as keep worrying something very wrong with me . All I do is think abut my stomach all day which I know doesn't help . I'm on nexiem 20mg but really don't want to be on these long term.

Anyone else going through this ?
Xxxx

Fusseh

Re: Stomach issues
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 03:18:09 PM »

Hi Molly.
I think this is a very relatable symptom of menopause, as is anxiety but I am really hearing your pain.

There have been several threads about digestion problems recently, such as this one which is now on page 4 about IBS symptoms...
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,50721.0.html

Your anxiety may be a further underlying cause so u r in a vicious cycle.

Firstly it's great that you have had investigations. Now it would be good to try to ease your anxiety a little. Do u exercise or r u someone who might try mindfulness or yoga? There is lots of evidence about the positive impacts of these.

Anyway, I just wanted you to know you have been heard. Check out a few of the other threads and breathe. Xx

Molly48

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 03:44:56 PM »

Hi
Thank you for taking the time to reply .

Yes I do yoga most days but not finding much relief at the moment . It's like I'm sitting waiting for the acid to kick off in my stomach .it starts with feeling loads of saliva building up and constant swallowing then the burning starts . Definitely anxiety making it worse though.
I hate being so anxious about everything.  My muscles in my stomach are so tight especially round my diaphragm as I feel like I'm tensing them all day.

I just want my mind and life back .

Xxxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 03:49:16 PM »

That's a sure sign of reflux.  Maybe eat small amounts little and often and cut out spicy food and mayB coffee?  As oestrogen levels drop so muscles may become lax which includes the spincter at the top of the stomach.  My GP has given me medication which helps but I still have the associated irritating clearing-throat cough - fortunately not at night!  Hiatus hernia is common during The Change.

Some nights I have to sit up for hours until the 'Rennies' relieves symptoms.

Rennies or Milk of Magnesia might be a starting point.   Anxiety can cause excess acid .......... dry ginger biscuits can help as can a slow release porridge  :sick02: for breakfast   ;D

Never heard that Diazapam can cause stomach problems, more like that anxiety will.

...... and breath. 

Molly48

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 04:24:37 PM »

Thank you for your reply .

Yes the anxiety is a killer . I'm going to try some apple cider vinegar someone said it worked for them so it's worth a try.

Yes I'm worse at night also . Really hate all this .

Xxxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 05:13:49 PM »

My worst time is first thing in the morning  :-\

My Mum used apple cider vinegar in a glass of water and swore by it!

Molly48

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2020, 05:55:10 PM »

Anythings worth a try. Xxx

shrosphirelass

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2020, 07:06:23 PM »

Hi Molly 48 I had stomach issues lost alot of weight probably due to being very careful about what I eat, so as not to aggravate it. My symptoms improved hugely after being on HRT. I still get issues but nowhere near so bad. Also, I had an appoitment with a womans physio as I had VA issues. She was great and talked me through ways to help emptying the bowel. THis has been really helpful and before I had piles but folowing her advice these cleared up and I rarely have problems.

Molly48

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2020, 08:05:06 PM »

Hi thank you for your reply.

Can I please ask what the exercises were ? And did you havery acid issues too.

Thank you xxxx

shrosphirelass

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2020, 12:31:38 PM »

Ive sent you a PM