Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: VA FLARE UP - How often and what is a 'flare up'  (Read 4657 times)

Denise T

Re: VA FLARE UP - How often and what is a 'flare up'
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2020, 04:23:35 PM »

Hi. I'm fast approaching 60 so not sure if I can be prescribed HRT ? But have not had that discussion yet with GP. I don't have a cervix so again don't know if an estring would stay in. But I'm new to all this so really just reading as much info on here as possible. It really makes me feel so fed up because it affects everything.

Joaniepat

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2020, 04:27:04 PM »

Have you tried an estring? I want one but no one is fitting them due to Covid. But it's a constant dose at least.

Good luck, VA is horrible, isn't it?  :(
Estrings don't  need fitting, you can insert or remove it yourself. Wouldn't they just prescribe by telephone if you asked for one?

JP x

Joaniepat

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2020, 04:32:00 PM »

Hi. I'm fast approaching 60 so not sure if I can be prescribed HRT ? But have not had that discussion yet with GP. I don't have a cervix so again don't know if an estring would stay in. But I'm new to all this so really just reading as much info on here as possible. It really makes me feel so fed up because it affects everything.

You can be prescribed HRT at any age in theory, but no doubt it's easier to get before you reach 60. I have used the Estring in the past and have no cervix. It sounds as though you don't need progesterone, so that's good. Some women need both systemic and local oestrogen to help with VA.

JP x

Denise T

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2020, 04:45:02 PM »

Is the estring a higher dose than vagifem? Or can you use both.

Joaniepat

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2020, 05:26:25 PM »

The Estring is equivalent to about 5 Vagifem a week. You can top it up with Vagifem if necessary, I used to do that.

JP x

CherrySG

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2020, 05:45:19 PM »

Have you tried an estring? I want one but no one is fitting them due to Covid. But it's a constant dose at least.

Good luck, VA is horrible, isn't it?  :(
Estrings don't  need fitting, you can insert or remove it yourself. Wouldn't they just prescribe by telephone if you asked for one?

JP x

Well, they seemed to think it would need fitting when I enquired the other day, then again the GP hadn't heard of estring. Interesting point, maybe I can insert it myself - thanks JP  :-*

Denise T

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2020, 06:08:13 PM »

Thanks ladies for all your replies. D x

Otter15

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2020, 10:23:59 AM »

Denise T, just read what you said about having a flare up. This may not apply to you but I had problems for months. I was on intrarosa from February but still needed the cream too and still had problems. I was quite down about it as I'd hoped it would work after three years of struggling.
I had a swab done and it turned out I had Bacterial vaginosis BUT no discharge and no noticeable odour. After antibiotics and a vaginal wash, the burning and itching have gone and I'm only using the intrarosa. Don't need anything else so far. I've bought some of those ph balance washes so hopefully I won't have that problem again.
I've read up on bv and I didn't have the symptoms listed so I just assumed it was a flare up. May be worth checking you don't have an infection?
What's up, intrarosa is definitely worth a try. I much prefer it to Vagifem as it's easier to use because it's oily. I need to see how it goes now the infection is gone but so far so good.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2020, 06:24:03 PM »

We are a Mine of Info.  :thankyou:  and age is a number ;-).  End of.  Remind your GP of that fact.

Dierdre

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2020, 06:35:59 PM »

I think when we have these flare ups it might be wise to rule out an infection,  if upping dosages doesnt improve things  dont always assume its a VA problem especially if you've been ok for a while.

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2020, 07:30:46 PM »

That's what my NP believes, Dierdre.  She said if you have been relatively comfortable and you suddenly get a flare up, chances are it *usually* is caused by an infection that can also be caused by the applicators themselves.  I know I have discomfort for a good 3 or 4 hours after shoving the dang thing up there (which hasn't seen action in many years).  I still have (as CLKD has so eloquently put it😉) niggles sitting.  Went out for dinner last night and ended up squirming through most of the night.😤

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2020, 01:20:12 PM »

I've never had an infection with the applicators  ::) as they are Boil Washed after use ;-).  Can you remember what you had to eat?

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2020, 02:27:28 PM »

Oh girl....CHOCOLATE....my biggest nemesis.  I use Vagifem so don't need to clean applicators but like so many of us, I have a tiny annoying spot that causes such grief. 
Pages: 1 2 [3]