Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: HRT FOR OVER 60  (Read 5278 times)

devonlass

HRT FOR OVER 60
« on: June 19, 2020, 11:51:02 AM »

Hi everyone i am 61 and have been suffering with all the symptoms of the menopause for the last 10 years i had my last period when i was 50 well i have finally have had enough and have just started hrt patches 25mg and progestogen i have always been scared of taking it before because of the various risks but have had a chat with my doctor and like she said its also about quality of life but i still cant help but worry are then any other ladies who are having similar experiences
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 03:42:33 PM by devonlass »

Dotty

Re: HRT FOR OVER 60
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 06:36:06 AM »

Hello ladies and welcome to the forum. I'm not over 60, but I've been taking HRT for over 2 years now and it's changed my life.

Hopefully Hurdity will be along soon to help you . Xx

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 07:59:15 AM »

I agree with you gp. Most of the scare stories are based on oral hrt, often the older ones made from horse urine. We know now that transdermal is safer. Smoking, drinking and being overweight carry a higher risk than transdermal hrt so you can protect yourself by having a healthy lifestyle. It's a personal decision but I decided the pros (in terms of getting my life back and feeling well) far outweighed the cons. 59, hrt at 57 in peri, no way am I stopping if it means going back to the way I felt before.
I'd suggest you try it for at least 3 months and see how much difference it makes to you. You can always stop if it doesn't help.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 08:59:51 AM »

What is your biggest worry?

Quality of Life is important as has been suggested.  Maybe keep a mood/food/symptom diary to chart progress and decide which symptom you would like to ease first?

:welcomemm:

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 10:04:57 AM »

Hi devonlass  :welcomemm:

Are you really from Devon? Whereabouts if so? I'm in SW....tis a big place!

If you have a read of the British Menopause Society statement you will see that you are doing exactly what is recommended for women over 60 starting HRT.

https://thebms.org.uk/publications/consensus-statements/hormone-replacement-therapy/

I might as well reproduce it in full:

"All women should have access to advice so that they can make informed decisions about diet and lifestyle and treatment options to optimise their menopause transition and postmenopausal health.

HRT dosage, regimen and duration should be individualised, with annual evaluation of advantages and disadvantages.

Transdermal estradiol is unlikely to increase the risk of venous thrombosis or stroke above that of non-users and is associated with lower risk compared with oral estradiol.

Limited evidence suggests that micronised progesterone and dydrogesterone may be associated with lower risk of breast cancer and venous thrombosis compared to other progestogens.

Arbitrary limits should not be placed on the duration of use of HRT; if symptoms persist, the benefits usually outweigh the risks.

HRT prescribed before the age of 60 or within 10 years of the menopause has a favourable benefit /risk profile and is likely to be associated with a reduction in coronary heart disease and cardiovascular mortality.

If HRT is used in women over 60 years of age, low doses should be started, preferably with a transdermal estradiol preparation.

Women with POI should be encouraged to use hormonal therapy at least until the average age of the menopause. HRT or the combined contraceptive pill would be suitable. However, HRT may confer a more favourable improvement in bone density and cardiovascular markers compared with the combined contraceptive pill
."

Which progestogen are you taking? Ten years is a long time to suffer!

There is also a lot of information on this wbesite about risks etc and press articles about latest research i the news section.

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/benefit.php
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/risks.php
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/balance.php

... and so on

Good luck and I hope it works for you :) . Keep us posted!

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2020, 10:13:51 AM »

Hello devonlass, what various risks are you referring to? And what are your symptoms? Is the hrt working? I am in a similar situation but I'm afraid HRT doesn't work well after being menopausal for many years, I've read something about a 'window of opportunity' or something like that.

Hi Folklass

:welcomemm: to you too!

Is your comment ".... but I'm afraid HRT doesn't work well after being menopausal for many years... " from personal experience? Sorry to hear that if so.

However if not, then you are being given false information. HRT is the best evidence-based treatment available for alleviating menopausal hot flushes and sweats at any age.

The window of opportunity solely refers to the cardio-vascular protection aspect. It's still controversial I think ie still research going on but the idea was that post-menopause there can be changes to the blood vessels (plaque build up?) which means that deposits can break away if oral HRT is commenced many years after menopause, which can lead to stroke (that is a very simplistic explanation and I am sure is better explained elsewhere but that's the gist!). The so-called "window of opportunity" suggested that HRT taken under the age of 60 or within 10 years of menopause ( ideally 5 years) confers benefits to the cardio-vascular system but outsdie of these times could cause harm due to the above. However this does refer to oral HRT as sheila99 said.

See my previous post to devonlass and you will see that even outside of these times women may commence HRT undersupervision, and especially if low-dose and transdermal.

I am in my mid 60s but I did start HRT at just under age 54 and before menopause (I think!).

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

devonlass

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2020, 02:15:45 PM »

Hi thank you ladies so much for your replies its really helped.Yes i am a true devonlass born in dartmouth south devon a truly beautiful  place .I am going to continue with the hrt and hopefully i will start to feel better i suppose i should have given it a try before now but kept thinking " it would stop soon" and i have read so many different opinions for and against HRT plus my sister had HER2 positive cancer 16 years ago but i believe  her consultant told us it doesn't increase the risk for myself or her daughters x I am using Evorel 25mg patches and  taking progesterone capsules 100mg at night (utrogestan) would it be safer or better to use a combined patch like Evorel Conti xx
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 02:29:35 PM by devonlass »

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2020, 04:10:37 PM »

Let us know how you get on!

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2020, 04:52:49 PM »

You should be able to find about heart and bone health on the Forum too, in the pink line at the top ........ make notes  ;D

hotmama

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2020, 05:03:39 PM »

I started HRT at the age of 64 after suffering for 12 years with horrendous symptoms with no sign of stopping. Like you, I was too scared to take it before. However, it came to the point where I felt my life wasn't worth living and I saw a private gynaecologist who immediately started me on an HRT patch. I am now 70 and will carry on with it for the rest of my life. It hasn't controlled all the symptoms but has certainly made life worth living again. I have had a hysterectomy so only need oestrogen. I hope you find it makes you feel a whole lot better as I'm sure it will. Bear in mind that after so long without oestrogen it can take a little while to feel the benefits but it's worth persevering for a little while at least. Good luck.

Kathleen

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2020, 07:03:28 PM »

Hello ladies.

I started HRT at age 57 and tried various regimes but none of them dealt with all my symptoms and even the flushing continued. I am now 63 and stopped  all HRT a year ago but unfortunately I seem to be slipping backwards.  I hoped I would be okay and although my physical symptoms are bearable the emotional ones are becoming too much for me so I may need to talk to my GP soon.

Wishing you all well.

K.

devonlass

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2020, 03:49:44 PM »

Thank you all so much, all of you have really helped I will carry with the hrt it is early days and hopefully will begin to feel the benefits after taking it for a few months  i will let you known how i get on xxx

Denise T

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2020, 11:58:54 AM »

Does anyone know about oral or transdermal estrogen only hrt ? I'm going to ask gp for some but not sure which to go for. ?

sheila99

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2020, 01:19:19 PM »

Transdermal is safer. If you still have a womb you will need progesterone too.

Denise T

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2020, 03:08:07 PM »

Excuse my ignorance I have never had hrt before but when you day transdermal is safer ... do you mean the risks involved and why ? Thankyou for replying
Pages: [1] 2