Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Ideas to moderate blood sugar - Pro cycling feeding  (Read 1087 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Ideas to moderate blood sugar - Pro cycling feeding
« on: June 23, 2020, 08:46:20 AM »

What to eat during the 'tour de France'  ;)

09:00 Breakfast

Riders have their breakfast around three hours before the race - carbohydrate-rich foods like bread, muesli, cereal, fruit, coffee, smoothies, orange juice and even noodles help top up glycogen stores.

"One thing all riders avoid is eating heavy food," says Judith Haudum, sports nutritionist to the BMC Racing team.

"They have to resist the enticing pastries from the hotel breakfast bar because this type of food isn't fully digested in time for the start, making riders' stomachs feel uncomfortably heavy.

10:30 Pre-race snack

Transfers from hotels to stage starts can be long, offering an opportunity to top up carbohydrate and calories ? typically, rice cakes with honey, raisin bread or a sports bar are consumed with fluid. Studies show Tour riders are consuming less on the bike (possibly due to more aggressive racing), meaning greater reliance on pre- and post-race nutrition.

12:00 During the race

Different stages at the Tour require different fuelling strategies, according to duration, intensity and temperature. Fat metabolism can be utilised during mid-stage low intensity periods when a rider can shelter in the bunch and get towed along. In contrast, tougher stages will see the body rely on carbohydrate, which means more gels and bars.

Solid foods consumed on the bike include small rolls with jam, rice cakes and energy bars. Quick-to-consume gels - especially caffeinated ones - will provide the majority of calories as the pace increases as riders will struggle to chew and swallow solids.

On big alpine climbs SiS expects its riders to consume six electrolyte drinks, three energy bars, two isotonic gels and a caffeine gel; more if the heat ramps up.

17:00 Post-race recovery

As soon as the stage ends, recovery begins. "Recovery drinks with carbohydrate and 25g of protein are waiting for the riders as soon as they finish a stage, which they drink whilst cooling down," says Slater.  Depending on how long the transfer is, riders shower and change in the bus before eating a snack prepared by the team chef - sandwiches, rich cakes and cereal bars are standard fare.

20:00 Evening meal

Post-massage evening meals start with salad, soup or juice for a nutrient boost, followed by meat or fish and carbohydrate-rich foods ? but gone are the days of overcooked pasta. At the 2014 Tour de France, Garmin's chef Sean Fowler tweeted photos of flaxseed crusted turkey and pumpkin soup, while Team Sky's Sren Kristiansen served up halibut with apple, peach and fennel salsa. The aim is to use colourful foods to encourage riders to eat and keep them nourished while avoiding food repetition. Homemade cakes, yoghurt, fruit and flans are often served for dessert.

What happened to the massage session - the bit I would enjoy and would probably skip the Stage to get in first  ;D

23:00 Lights out

Carbohydrate-rich snacks like small cakes, fruit, nuts and cereal ensure glycogen levels are constantly being topped up after dinner. Hydration is also an ongoing struggle and it's rare to see a rider without a bidon in their hand.

bidon = bottle full of liquid which when empty are thrown to the spectators and replaced by the Domestique of the Team or on very narrow sections, the staff in the neutral car which is usually yellow
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 08:51:32 AM by CLKD »

CLKD

Re: Ideas to moderate blood sugar - Pro cycling feeding
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 08:55:18 AM »

Each Team has a Chef who prepares individual riders with food and liquid necessities at the start and end of the day.  Food requirements are put into a 'bag' and handed to the riders in specified areas at lunch time, that's when some of the spectacular crashes are likely to occur.  The Domestique for each Team is likely to pick up several bags and carry up to the Team to decrease the chance of the leaders becoming involved in an incident.

It's not simply ? about riding a bike in very hot weather or as in last year, missing half a Stage due to an avalanche 10 mins. B4 the peloton arrived  :o, there's a lot of strategy involved.  Riders are connected to their Team Managers via head phones and are reminded when to eat/drink ......

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 08:57:43 AM »

New to Sport Science ? have a look-see at SiS , the Company who evolved nutrition for athletes, pro cyclists etc., they have a section for information about what one might require.

Pity that they don't turn their attention to menopausal women ;-)

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 08:23:30 AM »

Interesting CLKD but nothing to do with how most people should regulate their blood sugar, especially menopausal women. I commented on your other post on the other thread before I had seen this so will repeat what I said here, not that I think anyone would follow these suggestions. We do not need to stuff ourselves full of high energy carbs (even slow release ones), as the first go-to food to stabilise blood sugar.  This will cause insulin spikes (less with the slow release carbs) and exacerbate the problem. There is plenty of information about how to do this that is not for athletes.

What I said on the other thread:

"CLKD what pro-athletes take/eat/drink to give them quick energy for their strenuous exertions bear no relation to the rest of us in our normal activites.We should most definitely not eat Mars bars nor drink energy drinks nor look to what athletes do, if we want to keep our blood sugar levels stable, however interesting this may be!"

Key for normal people and especially women: like I said on the other thread. Cut out sugar and refined carbs as much as possible, as well as sugary drinks (including excess fruit juices and smoothies). Replace with complex carbs  and whole foods/grain, as well as whole fruits, veg nuts and seeds, pulses etc and low fat high protein foods. get to know your body and when you tend to get low blood sugar feelings. Make sure you eat sufficient foods of the right quantity to avoid this. Have a good breakfast!!

Hurdity x

Sparrow

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 08:31:12 AM »

Interesting CLKD but nothing to do with how most people should regulate their blood sugar, especially menopausal women. I commented on your other post on the other thread before I had seen this so will repeat what I said here, not that I think anyone would follow these suggestions. We do not need to stuff ourselves full of high energy carbs (even slow release ones), as the first go-to food to stabilise blood sugar.  This will cause insulin spikes (less with the slow release carbs) and exacerbate the problem. There is plenty of information about how to do this that is not for athletes.

What I said on the other thread:

"CLKD what pro-athletes take/eat/drink to give them quick energy for their strenuous exertions bear no relation to the rest of us in our normal activites.We should most definitely not eat Mars bars nor drink energy drinks nor look to what athletes do, if we want to keep our blood sugar levels stable, however interesting this may be!"

Key for normal people and especially women: like I said on the other thread. Cut out sugar and refined carbs as much as possible, as well as sugary drinks (including excess fruit juices and smoothies). Replace with complex carbs  and whole foods/grain, as well as whole fruits, veg nuts and seeds, pulses etc and low fat high protein foods. get to know your body and when you tend to get low blood sugar feelings. Make sure you eat sufficient foods of the right quantity to avoid this. Have a good breakfast!!

Hurdity x

I agree.  I find if I indulgence too much in refined carbs, especially sugar, it makes me feel unwell after eating.  That's probably an insulin spike.  Diabetes and pre diabetes are an increasing risk as we age.

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 02:31:25 PM »

Hello ladies.

Not only is the sugar content of this diet a problem but the caffeine would send my jitters into overdrive!

I expect these riders do many things differently from regular people.  Hopefully the doping problems have now been eradicated.

Take care everyone.

K.