Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Breathlessness  (Read 1607 times)

Lalb1

Breathlessness
« on: June 17, 2020, 07:34:31 PM »

I have recently started to get a mucus feeling in my throat,chest and my ears feel clogged. I get chest tightness and have in the last 4 weeks developed breathlessness. I've also got the blocked right side nostril! All these symptoms seem to have intensified since I had a bad bug at the beginning of March. I stopped taking my pill roundabout then, had a period and have noticed how rough I've felt since. Got my period today after about 5 weeks.
I've had all bloods done and nothing other than low vit d showed up. I think a lot of it could be down to anxiety with all that's going off, and add to that I'm currently in the shielding high risk group so too much time to think.
Just wondered if anyone is still having these symptoms. any help, cures.. Thanks.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Breathlessness
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 07:56:22 PM »

As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax which sometimes includes narrowing of the eustachian tubes = ears feeling blocked.  I often need to put my little finger in and waggle to clear them, occasionally they block completely.  It helps if I tip my head to one side  ::)

You may have reflux which can cause excess mucus, my GP gave me omepralzlole [sp] which has helped ease the cough.  No one really understands why reflux causes an irritating clearing-throat type cough  :-\.

Are you prescribed anything for the low VitD levels?

As for breathlessness - I had this B4 my periods.  I think it was a form of bloating and sometimes I would feel dreadful, until the bleed began.  Also, anxiety can be increased as we don't breath fully which becomes self perpetuating.

Sing, Girl, Sing  ;)- It makes us use the whole lung capacity.  Don't sit hunched over as that will restrict how you breath and once we become aware of difficulties, it gets worse.  Get up occasionally and walk round, focus on something outdoors which will help slow down the breathing rate. 

Lalb1

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 08:13:43 PM »

Hi, thanks 😁
Yeah my ears often  feel like they need wiggling to stop the tickling, they crackle.
I do have reflux and take omeprazole 20mg in a morning, been in these about 3 or 4 weeks now. Wondering if need a higher dose.
I do feel like I need to constantly clear the mucus in my throat, chest and sinuses. Constantly feel like I'm coughing and clearing or attempting to clear throat. My anxiety has definitely increased these last 3 months, I'm in the High risk vulnerable group so have had too much time to think.
I take a maintenance dose of vit d. Doc said just to buy something over the counter.
The breathlessness started before my final period that I was in the pill. But I put it down to still recovering from a bug.
This month its been happening for about a week before my period and still happening. Have had bloods and all checked, blood pressure, pulse, peak flow all normal for me.
I will try the singing, can sing away to the radio 😂
I've been walking again as allowed 1 walk a day so I think I need to keep going a bit further each day. Before lockdown shielding I'd walk between 5 and 6 miles a day with my job, and on a weekend I'd walk between 20-25 miles. During this weird time most I've walked is 1.7 miles, so I need to improve my lung function.
Thankyou.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 08:16:52 PM »

Your GP should have prescribed you 3 months VitD treatment!  The capsules that I was taking really eased symptoms.

Sounds like a form of bloating/water retention.  At times it was so bad I felt nauseaous  :-\

Walking and breathing correctly will help.  Keep away from others ;-).

Lalb1

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 08:21:45 PM »

Hi, yeah I was a bit surprised she didn't prescribe anything, normally she's quite good.
I will look at some high dose vit d.
is breathlessness associated with low levels? I wasn't sure when I googled it, (which I really need to stop doing as it's making my anxiety worse!)
I just feel rubbish.
I will make sure to keep walking. m😂 away from others.

jaypo

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 07:35:55 AM »

Can I just say,DONT GOOGLE but if you do,only use the NHS site,it's the only one that will state facts,have you been tested for anaemia? I was terribly breathless and was put on ferrous sulphate tablets and wow what a difference

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 08:27:30 AM »

When I get into gear I will find the capsules that I was prescribed.  If I forget give me a  :kick:  ;D

Lalb1

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2020, 08:45:06 AM »

Jaypo
I've just had all the blood tests done, had to go to our local drive thru phlebotomy centre. Had results back and all that showed was low vit D. 🤷‍♀️
I'm currently taking some iron tablets I'd got, aswell as B12, Vit D and a multivitamin.

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2020, 08:55:34 AM »

Can I just say,DONT GOOGLE but if you do,only use the NHS site,it's the only one that will state facts,have you been tested for anaemia? I was terribly breathless and was put on ferrous sulphate tablets and wow what a difference

My GP suggests that Patient UK (now called just Patient I think) is the one to use if we are determined to google our symptoms as that's the one that GPs also use  ;D

Taz x

jaypo

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2020, 12:39:34 PM »

Thanks for that Taz xx

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2020, 02:34:30 PM »

What's wrong with MIMMS?  ::)

Kathleen

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2020, 02:35:05 PM »

Hello ladies

Labl 1 - many thanks for your update. It was good of you to share the information and I hope you feel better soon.

Take care.

K.

jaypo

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2020, 02:39:13 PM »

Oh I love mimms,oh no,sorry,it's Pimms  ;D
Hopefully you can get it sorted now lalb1  :)

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2020, 02:40:06 PM »

::) ....... it's probably Pimms time somewhere in the World  ;)