Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Article on Dr Newson's website about mood changes  (Read 885 times)

KarineT

Article on Dr Newson's website about mood changes
« on: June 17, 2020, 08:35:16 AM »

Hello everyone,

I've found this on the  Dr Neton's website and I don't agree when she says:  'Research has shown that if women are given HRT when they are perimenopausal, this can reduce the incidence of clinical depression from developing. '  Can this happen if you don't go on HRT?  I should hope not.

In my opinion, depression is a serious mental disorder and, unless you had it in the past, it cannot be caused by the menopause alone or can it?

If you have developed depression in the menopause then please share your experience.

Thanks

Karine

Kathleen

Re: Article on Dr Newson's website about mood changes
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 10:01:19 AM »

Hello KarineT.

I was prescribed ADs some time ago to reduce night sweats and help with other symptoms of the menopause but I don't think I have been depressed just miserable! I also find that I feel  better when distracted.

My trusty meno book makes the distinction between the emotional problems of the menopause and clinical depression. Perhaps Dr Newson believes that menopausal distress can lead to depression in some people. Other factors like years of disturbed sleep may also play a part.

I read an article  a few years ago where she describes how awful she felt when her  flushes started and she has found relief with HRT so it makes sense that she is a big fan of all aspects of using HRT.

Hopefully more ladies will be along soon to relay their experiences.

Take care.

K.