Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Anxiety and Menopause  (Read 2435 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Anxiety and Menopause
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2020, 06:58:42 PM »

Oh lockdown was a boon for me.  Boris told me I wasn't allowed to go anywhere so I didn't have to make excuses to anyone  ;).  Of course the weather from mid-Feb really helped and I was relaxed.

sed

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2020, 01:57:06 PM »

Really struggling today.  Had one good day yesterday and bang right back to sitting in my room with my laptop....Mornings are the worse for me...I wake and do a mental body scan, how do I feel?  By 9AM, here comes the symptoms, day ruined.  I sound so negative I know, but this whole meno, HRT, which one do I take, which one don't I take is such a big confusion.  I am waiting for an appointment for a second opinion on the conti or sequential.  Dr says your hormone levels are imbalanced and we recommend HRT.  I accept I am 50 and my body has changed but fear I can't cope with these physical symptoms - aches and pains/stomach churns, breathlessness - it's insane.  I am so low and scared that this is me for the next year or so. 

sed

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2020, 06:44:17 PM »

Hey, yes I have been on the pill about 15 years ago.  Tried the Coil for about a year or two after that and then had it removed because it became bothersome (continuous bleed). 

GP has prescribed Femoston and said he will check in 3 months.  Just want this to work so badly I don’t know if I am setting myself up for a disappointment.   :'(. Today I have been flat out and off my food because I feel nausea (maybe anxiety maybe side effects to tablets)...so confused

So glad I have this forum...sometimes offloading to the family just stresses them out which doesn’t help me..I have their support but hard to offload to my husband and children so hide away - just don’t want them to worry about me
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 06:48:00 PM by sed »

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2020, 08:46:09 PM »

Hi Sed.
You sound like me when I was at my worst. The anger aswell, I never thought I had it in me.
The whole 'feelings' I used to get, and couldn't explain them. Made me feel really poorly.
The anxiety was particularly bad. I thought I was about to be locked up. I was going mad!
But, things do get better. I know it's a pain waiting to see if the HRT is going to work, but I'm sure it will. And if not, there's others to try. I'm on Femoston conti, and it's turned out to be the best one for me. I'm 55, 5 years post meno. I tried a number of different ones when I turned 50. Took a while to find one that was best for me, but I did. You just have to keep fighting, and know that one day, it WILL get better.  Hang tight, keep going, deep breaths, and keep posting, talking is one of the best things, especially to people who know exactly what your going through. Take care. xx

Hurdity

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2020, 08:20:46 AM »

Hi Sed

:welcomemm: from me too.

Sorry to hear about your symptoms.

Just to add my thoughts too. As already said blood tests cannot determine your exact menopausal status - just a rasied FSH level tells you that you are peri-menopausal.  Your age, cycle and symptoms are the guide, according to NICE , and blood tests are not needed - apart from to determine other cause of other symptoms like thyroid etc as you have had.

Please do not suffer - HRT will make a huge difference to your life once you are settled on it. As the others have said you should be taing a sequential HRT not a continuous one because your last period was recent and the one before also. You are likely in late peri-menopause judging by the frequency of periods. Do read the information on this site about HRT which goes into it all. (Top tabs - menopause, treatments etc).

Now a thing about continuois combined HRT. It won't do you any harm to take this but two reasons why not advisable at this stage. First if your cycle is sporadic then you will get unpredictable bleeding after you've ovulated because HRT does not suppress the cycle. This can be annoying. If you take cyclical/sequential HRT then the withdrawal bleed will usually be predictable (not a proper period) although sometimes when your cycle kicks in you may get a bit of bleeding at the "wrong" time.

Secondly starting off with cyclical HRT  helps you work out if the preparation is right for you. This is because you take two weeks of oestrogen only - the hormone that women want and need at this time and which best controls the menopausal symptoms, and then you can tell how you feel once you add the combi part of the pill with the progestogen in it. In your case this would be Femoston 1/10 or 2/10. Best to start with a lower dose and increase if you feel your symptoms are not well controlled. This has a well-tolerated progestogen in it.

Ant-anxiety medication is absolutely not indicated in your position. The NICE Guidelines are quite clear that HRT is the first line of treatment for menopausal symptoms including anxiety if this is caused by menopause and you are better off getting the hormone levels sorted first. If you have depression (not anxiety)  after all of this or which occurred at other poibnts in your life then ADs might be considered. Menopausal anxiety is best dealt with through the means you are already trying and others like hRT which hopefully will work for you! Eating a good diet, excercising, losing weight if needed, reducing alcohol etc are all ways to improve your health and well-being without the need for other medication.

If you don;t want to bleed then the Mirena coil might now be a better option. Although some bleeding is expect at first, once you are menopausal this should not happen and the progestogen will protect your womb. Then you can take oestrogen in the form of patch, pill, gel or spray at a level which sorts out your symptoms.

Unless your doc had a specific reason to prescribe Femoston conti rather than a cyclical HRT s/he was wrong so do read up about it all so you know what you;re talking about. Some docs are not especially knowledgeable about HRT and menopause....

Good luck and do get back to us if you have any more questions :)

Hurdity x

sed

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2020, 02:29:56 AM »

Hi Hurdity and thank you.

I have an appointment lined up on Tuesday with my GP to talk about points you have raised.  So helpful and so knowledgeable  ;)

It’s 3:30Am and I am awake again.  Is it normal for the muscle in my arms and legs to feel out of control? Just limp.  Waking up feeling nauseous and so emotional - I have cried buckets over the past few weeks.  So tired 😓 they can put a man on the moon but we can’t find a tablet to just stop this immediately like a painkiller or a course of antibiotics  - it’s awful 😓😓
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 02:31:55 AM by sed »

Sammas

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2020, 08:45:42 AM »

Sed,
I just want to give you a big hug as I can relate to how you feel.  I have had bought before and the latest has been over the past week.  I prefer to hide away but make myself go for walks etc.. love S x

DelicateButterfly69

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2020, 08:28:26 PM »

Hi sed. Another newbie here too. I'm quite an anxious person anyway, but mine is definitely worse now. I was thinking about HRT but my mum started on it many years ago and not long after she had a mini stroke. so I can't shake that off. Now I'm suffering myself, I'm quite torn. I hope you get some answers. :)
Pages: 1 [2]