Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 408 409 [410] 411 412 ... 425

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1199957 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #6135 on: June 07, 2023, 07:34:22 PM »

Nature is healing. I can hear sparrows here, a few swoop down and nick meal worms from the jaws of the blackbirds  ;D

SarahT

« Reply #6136 on: June 07, 2023, 07:47:20 PM »

Cheeky devils. I love being stalked round the garden by a robin when I have been digging too.  Not had any frogs in this year yet, we don't have a pond but neighbours do. Hence we get visited by Moorhen and  chicks too! And sometimes ducks roosting on the roof. Husband gently grumbles it's like a zoo in our garden - just as he shakes a bit more tasty bird seed out for them.😂

CLKD

« Reply #6137 on: June 07, 2023, 08:06:08 PM »

;D. don't moor hens or is it coots that have big, green feet  :-\

It's my main hobby I suppose.  As well as reading ......... so I don't mind spending out on bird food etc..  As well as plants for our garden though have fast run out of space.   ;)

DottyD68

« Reply #6138 on: June 07, 2023, 08:27:29 PM »

We have House Martins nesting in the eaves of our house. I love them. Was once told they are lucky so I'll take that  :)

CLKD

« Reply #6139 on: June 07, 2023, 08:29:04 PM »

It's over 30 years since House Martins nested around this village.  Never found out why they didn't return  :-\.  Not as many adult starlings, they have made up with all the youngsters.

SarahT

« Reply #6140 on: June 08, 2023, 10:42:32 AM »

Moorhens do have massive feet in comparison with their size. Dear things, being their young in as they know us for being soft.

Housemartins are in a bad decline. We see less every year. Lucky indeed to Have them. We had them when we lived in the Highlands.

Have a few swallows and swifts,I love the screaming noise they make. The first swallow of the year has us celebrating their return.  There is a campaign to make it a law that each new build house just have ' housemartin ' bricks within them,a ready made best site in a way, if you are lucky enough to have them near, a muddy wet puddle are helps them to build their nests.

Whilst we are not avid birdwatchers,we always look at what is about us locally. I do report any unusual sightings to a local bird group so they can monitor species and their habitats and numbers. I prefer to look out the window to watch their antics rather than the t.v!

CLKD

« Reply #6141 on: June 08, 2023, 08:12:34 PM »

As an aside: in the 1990s according to EU Law every house had to be built with water saving devices: grey water for flushing loos and washing vehicles as well as in early 2000, every new property had to have solar panels.  Hands up any1 who has noticed new builds with any of these legally required additions?  The UK Government of the day simply ignored those Laws  >:(

The starlings have emptied their 3 bowls of water today whilst I have been away: they do have the top pond to pollute instead  :-).  We don't need Spring/Autumn/Winter watch, it's all here  ;)

SarahT

« Reply #6142 on: June 09, 2023, 03:21:08 PM »

Set yourself up as a mini nature reserve and charge a fee.... Should help pay the water bill as the starlings do their mass baths, and also to towards the bird food too.. Make them pay for all we (love to) do for them!🐦🐧

CLKD

« Reply #6143 on: June 09, 2023, 03:48:55 PM »

Years ago I took part in the village garden open day = anxiety.  It was the hottest day of that year  ::) so I had to keep providing bottled water for visitors that flagged.  It takes a lot of preparation to make sure that paths are safe for visitors, every weeded etc.. 

They've done it again  ;D.  I've re-filled 5 times since 9.30 a.m. ........ and will need to top up, ready for hedgehogs visiting this evening  8)

SarahT

« Reply #6144 on: June 09, 2023, 06:13:58 PM »

Oh good for you. I would be massively stressed out. I am a slightly haphazard gardener at the best of times... But have decided it my garden looks too overgrown and scruffy then I shall proudly announce I am doing so deliberately to further help wildlife. Sounds better than I can't be arsed to seed like a mad woman. ::)
Our starlings have mostly dispersed (to yours?!) But we still get the jackdaws, including a one legged one, bless it. He does ok balance naturally wobbly but he feeds and flies ok.

CLKD

« Reply #6145 on: June 10, 2023, 07:39:08 AM »

Last year there was a blue tit with a crossed beak which seemed to feed OK, I've seen it once in recent weeks.

jaypo

« Reply #6146 on: June 10, 2023, 12:38:36 PM »

Humpback whale lost in Loch Fyne,didn't see it though,hopefully it will find the sea again

CLKD

« Reply #6147 on: June 10, 2023, 02:37:27 PM »

Came up for the Restaurant did it? ;-).

CLKD

« Reply #6148 on: June 12, 2023, 10:35:11 AM »

:o  :o  :o   we have a rabbit flea in our bed  :-X.  We haven't walked in long grass for a week; nor in the woods for 3 years; don't have pets in and out  :-\.  Laundry change today  ;D after trying to catch the blighter, OK until DH flipped back the sheets to see whether he could catch the now long gone critter  ::)

We had a thrush singing yesterday  8)  :-*

jaypo

« Reply #6149 on: June 12, 2023, 12:24:01 PM »

My dog had a tick when we were away,I HATE those things,it was only small but got it off her,then my OH drowned it in lager  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 408 409 [410] 411 412 ... 425