Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 398 399 [400] 401 402 ... 425

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1200106 times)

jaypo

Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #5985 on: June 17, 2022, 02:22:06 PM »

It's so so sad,the neighbours across from us had a big paddock full of ducks and geese,he then built a shelter for them,so they could still get out but they were still enclosed but I went for a walk passed his house the other day and they've all gone  :'(

Taz2

« Reply #5986 on: June 17, 2022, 02:48:52 PM »

All poultry keepers had to maintain strict hygiene rules which meant that ducks, geese, chickens, quail were to be kept shut in a shed with a covered run.  No access to free ranging at all.  From about November.  We were there at Easter when restrictions were in place across England.

I just wondered whether Snettisham is in one of the restricted zones as blanket restriction was lifted a while ago.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5987 on: June 17, 2022, 03:27:46 PM »

It becomes a welfare issue of it's own, keeping stock penned ....... especially in this heat. 

Taz2

« Reply #5988 on: June 17, 2022, 04:19:08 PM »

CLKD

« Reply #5989 on: June 18, 2022, 03:30:36 PM »

Topped up the sunflower hearts for the gold finches, 1 greenfinch and doves which rock the feeders until there is enough for them to eat from the ground  ::)

4 hogs here last night  8)

CLKD

« Reply #5990 on: June 25, 2022, 08:31:10 AM »

Nice bit of footage on Cambs BBC News:  search :

Hedgehog moves into St Ives rabbit's hutch and gives birth

jaypo

« Reply #5991 on: June 25, 2022, 08:34:43 AM »

Lovely to see all my little Scottish sparrows again,the tree in the front garden is alive with them,they've devoured the contents of all the feeders  :D

CLKD

« Reply #5992 on: June 25, 2022, 08:42:27 AM »

Which type of sparrows?  Hedge or tree ?  I have to look at the book to notice the difference  ::) same with egrets .

jaypo

« Reply #5993 on: June 25, 2022, 09:45:15 AM »

Oh,I'm not sure tbh,so many trees and hedges in this village,there's also collared doves,they're so pretty unlike the big fat wood pigeons we have down the road  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #5994 on: July 08, 2022, 12:11:41 PM »

A project looking at hazel dormice and bats has found common toads were an unexpected inhabitant of trees.

University of Cambridge researchers found 65 records of amphibians in nest boxes and tree cavities.

Common toads are regarded as typical amphibians, spending time both on land and in water during breeding.

Dr Silviu Petrovan, from the University of Cambridge, said: "These findings are significant and very exciting."

The study published in the journal Plos One, and was completed with amphibian charity Froglife and the People's Trust for Endangered Species (PTES).

Volunteers were taking part in the National Dormouse Monitoring Programme run by PTES and the Bat Tree Habitat Key project.

Of the hundreds of sites surveyed annually for hazel dormice since 2009, 18 woodland sites had amphibians in nest boxes, which are generally placed 120 -150cm (4ft - 5ft) off the ground, and in one case a bird's nest.

How awful to put one's hand into a box expecting a soft cuddly dormouse to find instead a TOAD  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #5995 on: July 10, 2022, 09:56:32 AM »

Swallow tailed moth - I had a purple jumper hanging in the bathroom and it had landed - so left the window open, shut the door and by dusk it had flown.  About the size of a 50p piece.  Very pretty.

jaypo

« Reply #5996 on: July 10, 2022, 02:19:47 PM »

Just back from Scotland and the services we stop at is residence for geese,first time I saw them, I thought aww what a shame,maybe they can't find anywhere to take off from but no,saw them all again today,in the forecourt   ;D the girl at the till says they live there,was so funny as they were all waddling in a long line,not giving a jot about all the cars they were holding up

CLKD

« Reply #5997 on: July 10, 2022, 03:43:20 PM »

Was that at the Services that sell their own lamb etc., the Company has been on TV in recent months.

jaypo

« Reply #5998 on: July 10, 2022, 06:40:08 PM »

No,not that one clkd,think that one is called Tebay

CLKD

« Reply #5999 on: July 10, 2022, 08:01:59 PM »

Tnx.  Geese, ducks, etc. make So Much Mess  >:(

Cooler now, sitting watching the blue sky and lovely cloud formations; waiting for the hogs to arrive ;-).  Pigeons doing their 'it's not late Betty' .........  ::)
Pages: 1 ... 398 399 [400] 401 402 ... 425