Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 393 394 [395] 396 397 ... 425

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1200649 times)

jaypo

Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #5910 on: March 25, 2022, 07:25:30 PM »

No not today,it was my OH that saw it when he let the dogs out  :D

C.C.

« Reply #5911 on: March 26, 2022, 02:46:24 PM »

So happy to see the tulips are emerging as are my peonies!  I have plans to redesign my front garden after the tulips are done. I'm going for a low-maintenance garden, maybe small evergreens and perennials mostly.  The garden has been the same for 20 years and I'm tired of looking at it every spring. ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5912 on: March 26, 2022, 03:23:54 PM »

I never get tired of Spring: fav months Feb and March.  Then we are headed towards Winter :-\

Do U get bears C.C. - there's talk of re-wilding Scotland with Bears and Lynx  :o

C.C.

« Reply #5913 on: March 26, 2022, 04:42:58 PM »

3 toDo U get bears C.C. - there's talk of re-wilding Scotland with Bears and Lynx  :o

Bears..lol no.  Bears do live further north about 2-3 hours, where there is much more forest and wilderness.  I have never seen a bear when I've been in that area.  Squirrels, rabbits and raccoons and maybe the occasional possum are the only wildlife I see on a regular basis being in the 'burbs.

CLKD

« Reply #5914 on: March 26, 2022, 06:57:56 PM »

My sister lived in Vancouver years ago: she found the raccoons sweet ; for the 1st 48 hours.  When they began taking the food from the BarBQ, running to the lake to wash the food ........ my friend in NZ calls possums 'critters'  ::)

I've had a robin at my feet this afternoon picking up meal worms.   8)

CLKD

« Reply #5915 on: March 27, 2022, 06:05:32 PM »

That robin has a mate sitting on 3 eggs in an old alumimium kettle in the Yew tree :-))).

CLKD

« Reply #5916 on: March 28, 2022, 12:07:36 PM »

That robin was feeding his mate near our feet earlier :-)  8). along with wren, collecting live meal worms.

Bees and midges everywhere.

Signs of hedgehogs, every where  8)

CLKD

« Reply #5917 on: March 29, 2022, 03:44:28 PM »

I rescued a spider from hot bath water last night  8).  Put it onto a tissue to dry out, it then rolled over again so onto the tissue for 20 mins.  Out of the corner of my eye I saw what I thought was a leg.  Move  :o so I gently huffed on it - the paps withdrew.  After another 10 mins it began to wander off the tissue so I put it into the plants in our bathroom.  Where it disappeared  :o

jaypo

« Reply #5918 on: March 29, 2022, 03:47:21 PM »

Aww,that was kind of you clkd, I never hurt spiders either,I'm forever rescuing them and hurtling them outside   ;D I'm joking, I place them GENTLY outside  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #5919 on: March 29, 2022, 04:14:24 PM »

I was a bit concerned as the plant stand is at the end of the bath where I lay my head  ;D so there was a bit of  :-\ "Where might you be spider"  :rofl:

jaypo

« Reply #5920 on: March 29, 2022, 06:47:22 PM »

;D
It's when you creep up on them with a lid and bit of card at the ready and you're just about to put the lid over them,then they run full pelt towards you,that's it for me,lid and card up in the air,me screaming and running in opposite direction  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #5921 on: March 29, 2022, 08:24:05 PM »

What no slipper to clout them with  ;D

jaypo

« Reply #5922 on: March 30, 2022, 08:30:50 AM »

Aww nooooo I'd never kill them. Last year there was one in the utility room sink,omg,I honestly have NEVER seen one so big,got my OH to go get it,he got a glass to put it in and I'm saying,you're going to need something bigger than that,it was honestly about the size of my hand,big black so and so,was mating time so don't know if that's why it was in the house,never seen one as big again........thankfully

Minusminnie

« Reply #5923 on: March 31, 2022, 08:02:08 AM »

Anyone got any success with stopping bird strike on windows ?
I've one large window which i cleaned yesterday and now have half the curtain drawn as i know something will strike it before long.  I've read somewhere that putting feeders nearer or on the window can stop it as the birds are distracted to something else rather than taking off and flying into it.  I don't really want the window covered with stickers.

CLKD

« Reply #5924 on: March 31, 2022, 08:40:24 AM »

Morning.  I didn't find the RSPB stickers helpful as they seemed to miss seeing them.  The panes as far as they are aware are clear.  I think that feeders would encourage them to fly in although having a focus might work.  Could you try one of those 'stick to the window' type feeders?
Pages: 1 ... 393 394 [395] 396 397 ... 425