Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 378 379 [380] 381 382 ... 425

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1200949 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #5685 on: August 28, 2021, 07:59:09 AM »

I don't understand  :-\  ah - a 'survey'.  I read half then got fed up.  Willow tits rarely feed in gardens.  The hint is in the name ;-).  Pied wagtails have been feeding in our garden for 2/3 years, I feed live meal worms regularly as well as sunflower seeds and pea nuts.  I don't know where the idea that 'blue tits are dominant' arrives from.    :-\.  We have had less of any species since the 1990s, I believe because more people across the area R putting out feeders.

Certainly greenfinches are on the decline due to a virus caused by dirty feeding stations.   :'(.  Our blue tits teach the young how to peck a small piece of nut - the adults take a piece and feed to the young, the next day they are helping themselves :-).  A wren was having a bath in our pond yesterday morning.  All the birds have been away for 5 weeks, moulting and resting after a busy year of nest building and hatching eggs.  Not 1 on the feeders.  I believe that they top up energy levels by using feeding stations = more young hatched.

Last week I did note blue tits round the curly hazelnut leaves where there are greenfly-type insects.  With more areas being destroyed for housing, then I will continue to feed the birds and 🦔 s. 

Climate change will alter issues.  Apparently.  As will HS2 and new builds and roads.  :'(
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 08:22:38 AM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #5686 on: August 28, 2021, 08:56:38 AM »

After reading some of that article, I've wandered round our plot: the live meal worm feeders remain full from 2 days ago, so the small tits and robin aren't back.  My birds are feeding when they need it.  I can hear blue tits in the hedge :-))).  I saw 1 young blackbird. 

CLKD

« Reply #5687 on: August 28, 2021, 10:48:53 AM »

I will be watching our feeders more closely  ;).  There are few birds around, I've walked through the village and apart from rooks, jackdaws and red kites, no small birds. 

CLKD

« Reply #5688 on: September 10, 2021, 09:28:51 AM »

In the early hours of Tuesday morning we had 4 🦔 s feeding 2gether :-))).  1 male, 1 female, a youngster and one un-sexed.  Later a 5th hog arrived, with different markings on the spines.  We may have 6 every night  8)  :-*

Not many birds though  :-\

jaypo

« Reply #5689 on: September 10, 2021, 09:36:19 AM »

No hedgehogs this year at all  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #5690 on: September 10, 2021, 10:48:19 AM »

They have made their way up here  ;D

littleminnie  - what did U decide ?  My hogs are here on a regular basis.  The birds however, have gone.  I put food out, apart from goldfinches, a few sparrows, that's it. Until the weather turns colder.  There is plenty of 'wild' food 4 them right now .

Taz2

« Reply #5691 on: September 10, 2021, 08:58:46 PM »

My birds are still eating me out of house and home. I'm refilling all of the feeders twice a day and still can't keep up  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #5692 on: September 11, 2021, 07:12:18 AM »

My birds have moved to you then  ;D

A few goldfinches are here as long as I keep their feeders topped up  ::)

jaypo

« Reply #5693 on: September 11, 2021, 08:49:13 AM »

It's the same here,I buy a 20kg bag of sunflower hearts and it's not long til it's finished,the birds have no issues with the cage that my OH built round the feeder,they pop in and out quite merrily much to the disgust of the crows  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #5694 on: September 11, 2021, 09:07:01 AM »

Some F1 sunflowers don't have many seeds in.  This year my 3 have been self set from bird seed.  MayB give it a shake, perhaps the seeds fall out earlier ?  How wide is the flower head, I want to buy the Russian Giant next year.

CLKD

« Reply #5695 on: September 11, 2021, 10:40:07 AM »

Tnx.  I have 2 packets already but didn't get round to setting any.  I will put when on the calendar, April/May I believe - into pots then transplant when 8" tall?  That's a wide flower, the bees are making the most of those in my neighbours' garden :-))).  I have two hollyhocks to re-site so will put the sunflowers with them next year :-).  Watch this space ?? wish that I could post piccies.

CLKD

« Reply #5696 on: September 12, 2021, 04:26:40 PM »

Last night DH and I sat in the dusk watching the 🦔 s for about an hour.  4 at least, possibly 5  8)

Ju Ju

« Reply #5697 on: September 16, 2021, 04:43:19 PM »

DH has just gone into the attic over the garage, and discovered bats!  :o They could only have taken up residence in the last couple of weeks, as a lot of stuff was removed then. The garage is joined to the house and there is limited access to the main attic. The attic is well sealed, apart from the flue from the oil boiler. Enough of a gap for a few drops of rain in certain weather conditions anyway. There are bats in the woods behind us. Not happy about them taking up residence or the possibility of them getting into the main attic. My main concern is health issues associated with them.

Taz2

« Reply #5698 on: September 16, 2021, 05:02:55 PM »

Wonderful (well I'd like some in mine but so far no luck). Do you know which type they are? Get in touch with your local Bat group as they like to log all roosts. What health implications are you concerned with?

jaypo

« Reply #5699 on: September 16, 2021, 05:44:18 PM »

Juju,I wouldn't worry too much,we've had bats for years,no issues at all,apart from them swooping at my head at night   >:(  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 378 379 [380] 381 382 ... 425