Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 375 376 [377] 378 379 ... 425

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1200983 times)

Taz2

Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #5640 on: August 01, 2021, 04:36:10 PM »

Ah right - I understand! Do you know why, in September, they become annoying? Do you understand that they have lost their local "dealer" and are homeless, jobless and no fix?  ;D

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5641 on: August 01, 2021, 04:40:15 PM »

I love 'em.  Apart from the fact that is'a sign of Autumn  :'(.  Haven't found any nests . Yet.

They become annoying in Sept., I think, because many of their food sources disappear and beer, sandwiches, picnics are easy grub.   When we are out I put a small piece of fruit or steak at the end of the table - watching wasps queuing up to graze pieces off is fascinating.  As is the elbow nudging when wasps from different nests meet  :o.  Do getting a small piece of apple for example and putting to 1 side will discourage them from your pinta  ;)

Taz2

« Reply #5642 on: August 01, 2021, 04:51:39 PM »

They become annoying in September as, before then, their job is to feed the grubs. Each time they return to the nest to feed the grub with the aphids, caterpillars etc. they have collected they are rewarded with a sugary substance exuded by the grub. This is the equivalent of heroine in the wasp world which instantly gets them hooked and keeps them out foraging and feeding the grubs to get their fix. Once the grubs pupate and turn into wasps they fly away and the nest closes down. Overnight the wasps have lost their fix, their home and their job and so turn to the nearest thing to give them their high which is sugar. This is why, before September, they go for protein foods to take back to the nest in order to get their fix and after then they are only interested in getting the sugary stuff from fallen fruit, picnics, cakes, biscuits etc. A life of slavery and drug addiction followed by death at the first frost!

Taz x  :)

CLKD

« Reply #5643 on: August 01, 2021, 04:52:44 PM »

That's it.  Nature is cruel! 

jaypo

« Reply #5644 on: August 01, 2021, 05:37:37 PM »

And I can't have a pint at the pub,are you both forgetting that? ;D
I think the reason I don't like them is(1 I've been stung twice by them) and secondly when working in a pharmacy,this man came running in with a very distraught child,he said, I told her not to move and it won't sting you,so she bravely didn't move and then it stung her  >:(

Taz2

« Reply #5645 on: August 01, 2021, 05:45:31 PM »

I've been stung a few times too but they are so good for the garden. Great pollinators and pest eaters and just part of the whole food chain. I like earwigs too though  ;D

Taz x

jaypo

« Reply #5646 on: August 01, 2021, 06:10:26 PM »

My friend got one of those stuck up her nose once,so sorry,not a fan of those either   ;D After saying all that, I NEVER kill anything,just gently persuade things to leave,by screaming,flapping my arms about and generally terrifying it out of the house

Taz2

« Reply #5647 on: August 01, 2021, 06:31:38 PM »

Did it ever reappear Jaypo?

Taz  :D

CLKD

« Reply #5648 on: August 01, 2021, 07:40:20 PM »

? left ear or right ear ?

Wasps get lazy now.  I've been stung, believe me it don't hurt as much as being stung by a 🐝

jaypo

« Reply #5649 on: August 02, 2021, 08:03:23 AM »

She had to go to hospital and have it taken out,she was only about 10 or so at the time but I've never forgotten 🙀
Been stung by a bee also,blimey now THAT did hurt,wasn't it's fault,it was on the underside of a handle and I didn't see it  :'(

CLKD

« Reply #5650 on: August 02, 2021, 08:26:46 AM »

I was catching butterflies, the bee under the flower didn't like being caught: stung my L middle finger in the 1st joint down, I can still 'feel' it when I remember  ::)

jaypo

« Reply #5651 on: August 02, 2021, 09:43:04 AM »

That's where I got stung and the sting was moving   :o Without my spex I thought I'd been bitten by some weird creature,then my daughter saw poor old Mr Bumble on the floor

CLKD

« Reply #5652 on: August 02, 2021, 11:31:28 AM »

:'(

I saw a pigeon chasing a rook earlier, I thought initially it was a sparrow hawk but nope. 

C.C.

« Reply #5653 on: August 02, 2021, 03:35:25 PM »

The wasps here come September, are annoying little buggers in a perpetually ornery mood! They are relentless especially if you are having a meal outside.

Earwigs I have no use for them. Once I spot one, game over.

Taz2

« Reply #5654 on: August 02, 2021, 04:05:55 PM »

I find them fascinating especially the females who are brilliant mother's. She kicks the dad out though as soon as he has helped her tunnel a burrow which he thinks is their forever home
  ;D

Taz x
Pages: 1 ... 375 376 [377] 378 379 ... 425