Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 425

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1201393 times)

Hurdity

Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #5550 on: May 15, 2021, 07:38:29 PM »

I can't grow outdoor orchids here ........... they are so delicate looking but quite sturdy in the correct setting.  Did the rose grow over your front door?

We have red kites over here daily.  We also had a heron yesterday, crawking as it was chased off by crows!

Sorry I missed this as haven;t been on forum since then!

First - we don't grow them - the orchids - they are wild ones growing in a natural patch of grassland with all the other wild flowers :)

About the rose - well remembered CLKD!!!! Yes thanks - both (one each side) are doing really well. My husband pruned them in the winter and they look better for it - I'm a bit too timid. Also I chop off the flower clusters after flowering so they repat and thats improving too. They are well in bud now!

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5551 on: May 15, 2021, 07:41:31 PM »

Some roses require chopping down almost 2 the ground, to two buds which will improve the overall look of the plant. Others, rambling, can be cut back every 2/3 years - some old plants require a saw  ::).   I was going to buy more roses during this year but have decided to wait - am filling the garden with shrubs and will wait to see how the established and recently moved rose plants 'do'.  I love cutting for a vase  8)

CLKD

« Reply #5552 on: May 18, 2021, 01:09:31 PM »

Our pied wagtail - was very nervous until this morning.  Think his mate has told him not to return to the nest with any less than 4 live meal worms  ;D

jackdaws abound

jaypo

« Reply #5553 on: May 18, 2021, 02:59:01 PM »

Squirrel enjoying some strawberries I put out,as were the crows

CLKD

« Reply #5554 on: May 18, 2021, 09:07:34 PM »

Hedgehog eating worms on our patio - off to put some grub out ;-)

jaypo

« Reply #5555 on: May 30, 2021, 08:09:40 AM »

Ring camera captured an otter last night (at house in Scotland) it must have come from Loch Fyne (just across the road) and trotted up to the trees behind our (to be) new house  :D

CLKD

« Reply #5556 on: May 30, 2021, 08:28:32 AM »

Oh look out for your goldfish  ;).  When we stayed for a week on Loch Long near Dornie, there were supposedly otters in the tidal waters - not seen by us.  It's 1 property that I would love to buy  ;)

Pond pump blocked so the water level went down drastically, fortunately I noticed B4 bed!  One job makes half a dozen!

jaypo

« Reply #5557 on: May 30, 2021, 08:51:48 AM »

On closer inspection of the camera footage clkd ,I think it IS a Pine Martin,sooooooo excited,never have I seen one in the wild before  :D

CLKD

« Reply #5558 on: May 30, 2021, 10:13:21 AM »

It's the white under the chin, seen briefly .......... plus the narrow tail where as I think an otter's tail is broader near the spine.  Exciting, which ever :-))))

Also, don't otters lope when running ? 
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 12:47:14 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #5559 on: May 30, 2021, 08:43:41 PM »

We have bug 'hotels' all round the garden, 2 large areas are in use by mason bees and other small insects  8)  :bouncing:  I am like a kid, jumping up and down on the patio when I spotted the holes that have eggs laid inside and are now sealed. 

Ju Ju

« Reply #5560 on: May 31, 2021, 06:53:24 AM »

We have a wonderful view of swifts swooping around from the kitchen sink. Went for a short walk over the down near here yesterday evening. Very noisy……..all the birds and even a cuckoo in the distance. Good for the soul. We have extremely healthy looking squirrels regularly visiting for lunch. One in each of three ground bird trays. Probably ancestors of the squirrel that my DD released here when she volunteered at an animal rescue place a few years ago! They will sit and study me through the large window if I’m sitting on the sofa in the lounge. So cheeky.

Jemm

• First Flush
« Reply #5561 on: June 03, 2021, 03:54:55 PM »

Blue tits nesting in the garden bird box are busy all day feeding their chicks.

CLKD

« Reply #5562 on: June 03, 2021, 03:59:54 PM »

Our blackbird has built a nest opp our side door into the garden  :o.  It's not very large either so the nestlings will fall out  ::)

Both male blackbird and a thrush are singing their socks off this afternoon ? sign of rain ?

Baby blue tits are like bumble bees when they fledge the nest  ;D.    I haven't seen many swifts, usually heard B4 being spotted etc. yet. 

jaypo

« Reply #5563 on: June 03, 2021, 06:05:02 PM »

We had man round today to look at bees going into the stone wall on our house,he said they are called stone bees and are harmless,don't go near humans at all,never even heard of them

CLKD

« Reply #5564 on: June 03, 2021, 06:52:33 PM »

Mason bees perhaps ?  We have loads.  That's what bug 'hotels' are for.  Solitary bees don't live in hives, preferring to lay and egg in a hole: in our case bamboo canes fixed as well as a log which has been drilled with holes: add pollen then seal the hole; lay another egg until the depth of the hole is full.  Then they move into another bamboo cane - lay and egg, seal, lay an egg .......... I've been highly delighted this week to find lots of insects and bees around our 'hotels'  8)

I'm not sure when they hatch, eat the pollen then leave the holes.  Our 'hotels' get full sunshine from dawn until 2.30-ish p.m.

Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 425