Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Red Spots on Cheeks  (Read 8756 times)

Morwenna

Red Spots on Cheeks
« on: May 02, 2013, 09:38:01 AM »

....   is anyone else blighted with these? Apart from the odd breakout of acne on my chin when much younger I've always had clear skin on my cheeks. Now the whole area is covered in red spots - they aren't raised, I would describe them as under the surface and more pronounced in the nose to mouth lines. I find I'm having to cover them in make up when I go to work which I'm sure won't be doing my skin any good. My skin has always been sensitive and I sometimes would get this effect if I applied moisturiser too soon after a shower but it would always go away quite quickly. I've been in the menopause and on HRT for two years - I've had this blotchy skin thing going on for around the last six months. I've tried drinking lots of water and applying perfume free moisturiser and petroleum jelly but nothing seems to work. My latest idea being as I'm out of the country right now is to nuke it with the midday sun so it all looks red instead of just bits of it! Joking aside, I would appreciate any tips anyone might have to help tackle the problem? I'm hoping this isn't something else I look like being stuck with for the rest of my life  :-\

Joyce

Re: Red Spots on Cheeks
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 10:45:05 AM »

I have sensitive skin and my cheeks often look similar. I use a calming moisturiser from boots. You could try aloe versa to help calm it. I've tried slathering my face with creams at bedtime but makes no difference. The calming stuff works for me.

Lucky Stone

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 03:12:48 PM »

It could be acne rosacea which I suffered with for over 20 years. Get it checked out with your GP when you can and if it is, you can get antibiotic gel or indeed actual pills that will take it away. I have also found that eating fruit makes mine flare up and so gave up fruit and it's been a whole lot better since. Especially citrus fruit. Even a glass of orange juice makes my face itch.  :(

lesley998

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 03:20:12 PM »

Gosh, I've to these too, and only recently. Small red blemishes  - non pustular spots - on my cheeks  - not in the nose to mouth lines, more on the apples of my cheeks.  I also have broken/spider veins(on my legs and face) which occurred suddenly and a GP once told me it was due to circulating hormones/estrogen which weaken the veins.   

I recently tried using bio-oil on my face, as it made such a difference to the ageing skin of my sister - it made her glow.  Unfortunately it left me with little white hard lumps under the skin which were an nightmare to pop, and left me with red marks, so it could be this.

I hate having bad skin.  Makes me feel so self conscious.

Morwenna

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 07:47:22 AM »

I've G00gled Rosacea and my symptoms do look like a mild version. Maybe a trip to the GP is in order. I thought I'd left all my skin problems behind years ago, in fact developing a clear complexion had been one of the upsides of getting older. What next?!  :(

Melbury

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 01:25:00 PM »

I've G00gled Rosacea and my symptoms do look like a mild version. Maybe a trip to the GP is in order. I thought I'd left all my skin problems behind years ago, in fact developing a clear complexion had been one of the upsides of getting older. What next?!  :(

I have also had a few a outbreaks of red bumpy face over the past ten months or so and, annoyingly, usually when I have to go somewhere so I look awful :(  I think it is some form of rosacea. 

I have been using bio-oil for the past few months and it is absolutely brilliant - so far so good :)

I had bought up some Neutrogena moisturiser with SPF15 which I thought would be really good for my skin, but on the two occasions I have used this my face has gone red and bumpy, so I am not sure if this is coincidence or not.  I find this quite surprising because Neutrogena is such a good make.

LizeeeH

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 10:59:45 AM »

MEE TOO!!!!
on my cheeks and nose :'( I thought it may be due to drinking wine ;D but now Ive stopped drinking wine they are just the same....never thought it could be menopause >:( Ive always had nice clear skin....I HATE THIS!!!!! ;D

alyt

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 10:02:34 AM »

Rozex gel worked for me. I thought I was getting Chicken Pox! Touch wood, not had this hormonal acne since then. Just considering HRT for other symptoms at the moment.

Emm225

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2020, 04:28:54 PM »

I have developed those too...not sure if hot flushes are damaging my skin on my face? Will try anything...I've not really ever had bad skin.  I have started HRT recently so wondered if was that...can't remember if I had them before!

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2020, 08:11:27 AM »

This is a very old thread and none of those posting have been on here for a long time. However I too got these  but only during peri-menopause when my oestrogen lowered. Once I started hRT they disappeared (the itchy red bumpy spots on cheeks) never to return,  except when I stopped HRT for 3 months aout 8 years ago, but then they disappeared agaian. Some women get them from too much progesterone as well. I'm like you , never had bad skin so it was a shock to get them at age 53! Hope you manage to sort them out!

Hurdity x

Morwenna

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2020, 10:28:03 PM »

The red spots were diagnosed as Rosacea. A couple of years ago a new treatment came on the market - Soolantra - it's basically the same stuff prescribed by vets for animals with mange! Also known as Ivermectin. Anyhow after suffering for years this ointment cleared my skin completely within about ten days and I've only had to use it a handful of times since. Just thought I'd check back in with an update  ;D

Tinkerbell

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2020, 10:41:10 PM »

I had to fight to get Soolantra prescribed for my Rosacea couldn't believe the difference it made to my skin in just two weeks, i only need to use it a couple of times a year now and just on my nose.

I call it my guinea pig cream, my GP refused to prescribe it because he said it was a treatment for piggies!

Morwenna

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2020, 10:54:50 PM »

My GP has put it on repeat prescription but the original tube isn't empty yet - although probably out of date! It's the biz! (And now routinely prescribed by Dermatologists so not sure why your GP was so reluctant  ???)

Tinkerbell

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2020, 11:17:39 PM »

I went and saw another GP who did refer me to dermatologist who prescribed the Soolantra, i have no problems with getting repeats, probably because i don't ask for it very often. I am putting another request in as my current tube was prescribed in November and it says use within six months.
Fantastic stuff, i had no success with other treatments apart from antibiotics and i don't like taking those.