Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Can HRT become less effective..sweats coming back  (Read 1299 times)

Emm225

Can HRT become less effective..sweats coming back
« on: June 11, 2020, 08:20:46 AM »

:'(...I have been on HRT patch ( estrogen) and oral utrogeston for 8 weeks or more now..started 2 weeks into lockdown.  Phoned doctor after 6 weeks as would rather not take utrogeston orally...makes me v tired.  Doctor refused (not my normal doctor) and said only option was combined patch which is unavailable or Mirena, which can't have at moment due to covid and also I had taken out after 16 years or more (not the same one!) cos of spotting. 9mega sweats started after that...only had odd hot ****ly one before )

HRT seemed to be working in general and main thing was I  felt more like myself, sleeping better, no hot sweats at all thank god (was getting wet horrid ones which made me feel ill at least once an hour) 

However, this last week increasingly I am getting hot.  Not quite got to the dripping with sweat I had before yet but it is waking me in the night once or twice. I have also felt tearful again although thank god not got the crippling anxiety I was experiencing (didn't even find it comfortable being in car with husband driving...made me v nervous)

Can HRT become less effective?  So soon?!

jillydoll

• Hiya
Re: Can HRT become less effective..sweats coming back
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 08:42:58 AM »

Hi.
Sounds like you need a higher patch.
Also, did you know you can use utrogeston vaginally? Loads ladies use it like that, Have a scout around on here and see what others have said about it, but I'm hoping someone will post soon to you and advise you.
I don't use that HRT so can't really comment.
Hang on in there, sometimes our HRT just needs a little tweaking.

Xxxx

Emm225

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 04:24:33 PM »

Doctor wouldn't consider any way but oral way of taking it when I phoned for consultation?.although not my normal doctor and didn't seem to know about anything much...suggested I went back on the Mirena...which I had removed as it was making me bleed...?  Obviously hadn't read my notes...and besides no Mirena being prescribed at the moment due to covid?.

Sparkler

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 05:07:13 PM »

Hi Emma

I needed to increase from a 25 patch to a 50 patch after 3 months. Now I do still occasionally get hot and tearful, but it's so much better than before! I am happy to have the odd mild symptom- it makes me feel like I am on the lowest suitable dose. Daft really, but I don't believe there is a perfect HRT as our own hormones still fluctuate and get thrown into the mix!

Sparkler
X

Yorkshire Girl

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 06:37:59 PM »

Hi Emm I agree with the others, you need a higher dose patch, I started with a 25mg, soon went up to 50mg, then 75mg & now on 100mg all in the space of 12 months!

racjen

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 06:59:33 PM »

Hi Emm, tbh I wouldn't take any notice of the doctor and I think many others on here would agree. You can take Utrogestan vaginally, the oral capsules can be used that way perfectly well and in some ways better, as it gets absorbed directly into your blood stream rather than having to go through your digestive system first. Plenty of women on here (myself included) have just got on with it without bothering about what their doctor says. Oh and I agree you probably need a higher dose patch too x

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 09:41:02 PM »

Utro isn't licensed for vaginal use in the UK though it is in the rest of Europe so your gp can't recommend you use it that way. But he isn't watching...
It isn't unusual to need a higher dose as you progress through peri. You should increase it until you're using the minimum amount that controls your symptoms.

Emm225

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2020, 02:10:50 PM »

Thank you so much for all your replies...how do you "take " the tablet (mine has a shiny coating) if taking it vaginally..I would be worried about it "slipping out!"  Also how much do you need to take..I am on the continuous dosage and I think it is the lowest dose when I researched of both patch and pill.Not sure why I was prescribed pill and not gel...is one better than the other?

I would have liked a follow up appointment with the doctor re the HRT but due to Covid that hasn't happened.  I still have a womb, not sure about the old ovaries as when I was scanned at xmas they couldn't find one.  Lining of womb was thin but as I was on Mirena I haven't had a period for years, and didn't when it was removed for the 3 months between removing and starting HRT (mainly due to anxiety and crippling sweats and sleeplessness)

sheila99

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2020, 05:52:52 PM »

You use the same dose of utrogeston whichever way you take it, it's the same capsule. Push it up as far as you can just before you go to bed - gravity...