Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Hot flashes and heart health 2019 data  (Read 1754 times)

maxi835

Hot flashes and heart health 2019 data
« on: June 10, 2020, 04:20:39 PM »

Hi all

I'm one of the unlucky who has a lot of hot flashes - about 3 an hour. Fortunately my HRT has stopped them (Evorel Sequi).

I came across this recent data on how a high level of hot flashes can indicate an underlying heart issue. Does anyone have anything else to add to this? It's quite scary.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/womens-health/hot-flashes-and-heart-health

Very worrying!

Thanks

Maxi

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hot flashes and heart health 2019 data
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 05:37:11 PM »

Why were you looking?  What's your worry?

This is an American site.  Have a look round MM in the red line above: menopause, treatments, health etc.. 

If your HRT has worked, make the best of it ;-)

Toothfairy

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 07:26:13 PM »

Hi Maxi
I also suffer from very frequent hot flashes, the Doctor I saw at a reputable UK Menopause clinic, mentioned something along the lines of this study, that women who suffered from more frequent hot flashes where potentially associated with a higher risk of heart attack, therefore if was another another indicator that I should be on HRT. Oestrgoen is supposed to hlep prevent your arteries hardening, so if you come from a high risk group, its another positive benefit from being on HRT.

jaypo

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 08:06:56 PM »

Don't scare yourselves ladies,hot flushes are normally just a bad symptom of meno and harmless,so keep that in mind x

jaypo

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 08:33:43 AM »

women have been having hot flushes forever,all part of meno but obviously if anyone's at all worried,they should seek medical advice.
I've just looked online (nhs site only) there are NO conclusive findings from research
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 08:44:30 AM by jaypo »

Sparkler

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 05:10:54 PM »

Hi there

About 8 years ago I had severe palpitations and hot flushes ( the need to take all you clothes off to cool down type) and at the time no one thought of menopause. They thoroughly investigated everything in my heart and found it all to be fine. I think out of menopause it can be a symptom, but during menopause it seems to be kind of par for the course.

Sparkler
xx

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 09:49:19 PM »

I can't read it all but it says it COULD be a sign of higher risk for heart attack or stroke, well, so could eating cornflakes for breakfast. I wonder how they explain the higher rate for men as they won't have had hot flushes at all. Try not to worry.

KaraShannon

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2020, 10:12:19 PM »

Hi there

About 8 years ago I had severe palpitations and hot flushes ( the need to take all you clothes off to cool down type) and at the time no one thought of menopause. They thoroughly investigated everything in my heart and found it all to be fine. I think out of menopause it can be a symptom, but during menopause it seems to be kind of par for the course.

Sparkler
xx

All I can say is women need to push for more research into heart health as most of it is geared to men, and it's absolutely necessary for BOTH.  There's not enough research out there for the poor men who are dropping everywhere the minute they reach their 6th decade (it tends to slow if they reach their 7th decade).  Ok that sounds a bit dramatic, it's not all men, but a large proportion and it's been described as a silent epidemic.

I had a lot of palpitations, a lot of heart tests, told everything is normal, but something is not.  I also described my symptoms as like a 'blow torch in the centre of my chest' and I can't switch it off.  It was that that prompted the GP to get me to get a stress - echo test.  Under stress of exercise my heart behaves normally and that's all they are concerned with as that means it's unlikely to be any blockage of the arteries.  But I think women can get spasm in the arteries as a result of hormonal shifts, etc. 

Anyway, I've kind of got used to my blow torch now, lol, I just have to wait it out.  Maybe it's my version of a hot flush, but it doesn't feel hot, it just feels like a surge in the middle of my chest.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 10:13:56 PM by KaraShannon »

jaypo

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2020, 07:15:35 AM »

Exactly sheila,inconlusive,means maybe it is,maybe it isn't.
My sister died suddenly due to a faulty heart valve,4 years ago aged just 62 fit as a butchers dog ,so,live life to the fullest ladies,try not to worry about the WHAT IF?S xx

Kathleen

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2020, 10:24:51 AM »

Hello ladies.

It was thought that oestrogen is protective of the heart which is why women  suffer after the menopause when their oestrogen levels decline. Whether this remains true or not I don't know. I assume any lifestyle or illness that injures the heart will cause problems regardless of age and  healthy and clear arteries are what we should all be aiming for.

Take care ladies.

K.

Donna-paul

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2020, 07:00:16 PM »

My mum was on hrt for about 15 years not long coming of it she had a heart attack and stent put in🤔

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2020, 08:11:00 PM »

I thought we had this conversation about similar earlier in the week.   :-\

Zar began a thread ............ I think the responses a relevant to your concerns.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 08:15:06 PM by CLKD »

maxi835

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2020, 10:43:31 PM »

Thanks all for your thoughts. I will continue to watch this topic as I do think there is something in it. That said, I agree that we would have a lot more data if it was something to worry too much about.