Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Mirena help please  (Read 696 times)

NickyLD

Mirena help please
« on: June 10, 2020, 08:59:27 AM »

Hi there,

My doctor recommended I try a mirena coil after my periods became heavier again after using a combined HRT. Naturally they had become very light. I had the coil fitted in December and expected an element of spotting. Since then my periods are much heavier and lasting three times as long as my normal period. I have been so patient to wait for it to settle down but it's now getting me down.

It occurred to me, could it be the estrogem (Zumenon 2mg) contributing to the bleeding.

My moods and everything else associated with perimenopause are stable and the coil suits me better than the progesterone did with the coil, which used to make me very tearful and down. I don't know whether to just accept this new normal and hope it settles down or get it checked? I can't seem to find the strings either.

Any advice out there?

Thank you
Nicky

SEU666

Re: Mirena help please
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 02:13:35 PM »

Might be worth getting a check up as the Mirena could have been expelled especially if your periods are much heavier and longer and you can’t feel the strings either.
It could also need a little longer to settle, by all accounts it can take a good six months to settle.

Maybe someone else could help with the estrogen question...I don’t recognise the type you are using but someone else may.
Hope all settles soon for you
X

Tc

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 11:32:25 PM »

Nicky. Did you get the strings checked by doc a few weeks after fitting?
I think it's an idea to get it checked to make sure.

I couldnt feel mine but it doesnt necessarily mean they have "gone" because  the doctor could feel them.  She advised me to squat down to try to feel them but I still can't.   

If the doc cant feel them they can arrange a pelvic scan to check it is in place.

I havent had periods with it as I was already post meno when I had it fitted so I'm sorry I cant  offer any experience on that.  I hope some of the other ladies who have or have had mirena will be along  to answer.

Good luck

Emm225

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 08:09:05 AM »

I would get it checked out...my sister had problems with it and turned out she one of the tiny percentage of people who couldn't tolerate it...she had a lot of pain though.  I had my first fitted 16 years ago or so, it saved my life..v heavy periods.  Had it taken out before xmas (not the same one!) because of spotting ..spotting stopped but omg meno hit me....sweats etc.  Think mirena keeping at bay.